Author Topic: Toby Nankervis [merged]  (Read 178868 times)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Toby Nankervis [merged]
« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2017, 03:51:28 PM »
What's depolorable is, they sacked everyone except Dimma ... The cancer.
What hope does any player, let alone decent, have with this moron ?
Caracella and Balmey.

FlashGordon

« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2017, 03:55:24 PM »
bloke is only 22 and enters yr 4. Hes a  juvenile in ruck terms.
He obviously showed all the  signs mentioned above at Sydney both on track and Neafl but none of it has translated to Afl yet.

Therein lies the problem or uncertainty. Theres been nothing to suggest he wont at some stage make a good Afl ruckman but I think we have to be patient.
 We recruited a developing ruckman who likely will take time. But like everyone thinks it would be great if he came on in leaps and bounds and replaced Hampson.Unfortunately at AFL level to date he is still behind Hampson. At the moment the only area that has been acceptable at the level is his aggression and work with out the ball.

All this = been there done that and what is of real concern is that from what little birdies have whispered to me, his selection was basically an afterthought of WTF lets do it type poo. 
If he works out it will be a bonus, but lets for once learn that for them to develop into good to top ruckman they need a base of some kind of skill that shows out from day one...havent we been down the same path a trillion times, affordeing the same excuse to the  likes of Steinfort, Biurton, Eastaugh, Browne Gus, Esler, Putt  etc....where we have waitied a decade for what was never going to happen to happen?
I have real concerns about this selection and from the info i have received re. his ability in most aspects outside this aggression is very limited and in fact ZERO...Why we allowed FJ to continue to be a part of recruiting is a complete mystery to me.  The Hampson charade is a pure desperate attempt to make right what every man and his dog knows was wrong with what we coughed up for him and this extension of 2 years for that he has provided us is complete and utter stupidity by a desperate regime wanting to delay the inevitable in the hope that the punters forget what they gave up for him and the other player we swooped on from the tankers for the same price.  Its there for all to see how desperate we are, when other teams arr building a list, we are resigning Ivvy who can harldy walk...like get real FFS
Toby has a lot more tricks in his bag other than aggression.

:lol ok

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #212 on: February 16, 2017, 03:57:54 PM »
He obviously showed all the  signs mentioned above at Sydney both on track and Neafl but none of it has translated to Afl yet.

Therein lies the problem or uncertainty. Theres been nothing to suggest he wont at some stage make a good Afl ruckman but I think we have to be patient.
 We recruited a developing ruckman who likely will take time. But like everyone thinks it would be great if he came on in leaps and bounds and replaced Hampson.Unfortunately at AFL level to date he is still behind Hampson. At the moment the only area that has been acceptable at the level is his aggression and work with out the ball.

All this = been there done that and what is of real concern is that from what little birdies have whispered to me, his selection was basically an afterthought of WTF lets do it type poo. 
If he works out it will be a bonus, but lets for once learn that for them to develop into good to top ruckman they need a base of some kind of skill that shows out from day one...havent we been down the same path a trillion times, affordeing the same excuse to the  likes of Steinfort, Biurton, Eastaugh, Browne Gus, Esler, Putt  etc....where we have waitied a decade for what was never going to happen to happen?
I have real concerns about this selection and from the info i have received re. his ability in most aspects outside this aggression is very limited and in fact ZERO...Why we allowed FJ to continue to be a part of recruiting is a complete mystery to me.  The Hampson charade is a pure desperate attempt to make right what every man and his dog knows was wrong with what we coughed up for him and this extension of 2 years for that he has provided us is complete and utter stupidity by a desperate regime wanting to delay the inevitable in the hope that the punters forget what they gave up for him and the other player we swooped on from the tankers for the same price.  Its there for all to see how desperate we are, when other teams arr building a list, we are resigning Ivvy who can harldy walk...like get real FFS

Good reports from Tassie about his junior days. :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

FlashGordon

« Reply #213 on: February 16, 2017, 04:06:47 PM »
 :pray

Good reports from Tassie about his junior days. :shh

:help

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #214 on: February 16, 2017, 06:25:05 PM »
Would like to see Chol given more time in the ruck.....has all the attributes....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2017, 09:59:57 PM »

Therein lies the problem or uncertainty.  Theres been nothing to suggest he wont at some stage make a good Afl ruckman but I think we have to be patient.

He was very handy in Swans finals win against Adelaide last hear. Then he was drpppef for Tippet who played like a donkey in the GF. My swans mates wanted him to stay in the team.

Not certain he's behind Hampson at AFL level.
They played Tippett as a genuine fwd who was to give a chop out in the ruck.  and he kicked two goals in the preliminary final. They actually prefered  Sam Naismith over him who clearly had gone past him as a ruckman. Yep he had a few touches in the semi but he failed to kick a goal and had just one uncontested mark.

If people are thinking he can play fwd then i have to say at AFL level he has not shown a thing for the role. I really hope we dont make the same mistake with this bloke that we did with Vickery.
He is a crash bash ruckman who throws his weight around when the ball is on the ground much like Maric.

FFS in 12 afl games he has kicked 3 goals and taken 6 contested marks.Of course they were going to pick Tippett in front of him.
That is not to say he wont get better as stated he is a baby in afl and experience terms.

Would like to see Chol given more time in the ruck.....has all the attributes....

I actually agree. I think because of size issues atm we should play Chol as a third tall fwd with some time in the ruck, leaving Griffiths permanently as a fwd.I would also like to see Moore given games at alternative times to chol as a tall fwd..
Then it would be down to picking one of Hampson or Nankervis as the #1 ruckman.As stated at this level even Hampson is in front of Nankervis like everyone im hoping that changes.

Bolton - Griffiths - Chol or Moore
Rioli - Riewoldt - Lennon or Lloyd neither are really quick for sml/med types so imo they are in a fight for a fwd spot because we can not afford to play too many slows in the fwd half..In the mix Butler.

We then can if needed rotate say caddy or Martin thru there but if not needed they get good breaks on the bench.

tony_montana

« Reply #216 on: February 16, 2017, 10:50:31 PM »
Agree regarding Chol... and by the look of him physically he seems to have filled out a fair bit this preseason. Love the attributes he brings to the table, give him time and opportunity and i strongly believe he will flouish

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #217 on: February 16, 2017, 11:01:27 PM »
Agree regarding Chol... and by the look of him physically he seems to have filled out a fair bit this preseason. Love the attributes he brings to the table, give him time and opportunity and i strongly believe he will flouish
Both him and Moore. Gotta play both all yr, to start with alternating in and out of the side depending on the things that can go wrong.
This way if Griffiths continues to be well Griffiths!!!!!  we at least have some options with games behind them and thats the worst case scenario. Just imagine if one of them actually clicks and becomes a player of substance. That would be a massive win.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2017, 10:04:58 AM »
I like Moore and Chol as prospects but I don't think they're ready for extended AFL games this year. There is nothing wrong with letting them develop in the 2s for another year. They are both still very raw.

I would like to see us trial a smaller, quicker forward line with Jack, resting ruck and Lennon as marking targets.

Something like:

Rioli -  Jack - Lloyd

Costagna/Bolton/Edwards - Resting Ruck - Lennon

Granted, we'd lose a bit in aerial ability, but the ball wouldn't waltz out the other way as easily as has.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2017, 04:56:29 PM »
‘He’s nearly put players in hospital’

Al Paton,
Herald Sun
Feb 24, 2017

AMID the hype of trades for Dion Prestia and Josh Caddy, another Richmond recruiting deal flew under the footy radar — but it could have the biggest impact on the Tigers this year.

The Tigers handed over a third-round draft pick to Sydney late in the October trade period for Tasmanian ruckman Toby Nankervis. The 22-year-old played 12 games in three years at Sydney including last year’s semi-final against Adelaide, and was an emergency for the Grand Final.

But John Longmire’s decision to back Sam Naismith could be Richmond’s gain, with Nankervis in the box seat to become the Tigers’ No.1 ruckman.

With Shaun Hampson battling back issues, Nankervis has impressed in two intra-club games and will lead the ruck division in Friday night’s JLT Series clash against Adelaide.

Nankervis showed in 2016 he can get his hands on the ball at centre bounces — in seven matches, his hitout to advantage rate of 38 per cent was ranked No. 1 in the AFL — and he can be a weapon resting forward — he kicked six goals and took 11 marks in a NEAFL game against Canberra.

But it’s another aspect of his game that has caught the attention of teammates and coaches, and could make him an instant favourite of the Tiger Army.

“He’s a bull, big Toby,” defender David Astbury said on RSN927 on Thursday morning.

“He’s probably not the boom recruit of the footy club during the off-season, but he’s really surprised a lot of people.

“He’s got a lot of vigour. We all love playing with him and we can’t wait to see that showcased.”

Assistant coach Blake Caracella — another newcomer at Punt Rd — is also a big fan.

“Toby Nankervis has been a fantastic find for the Richmond football club,” he said in a video on the club website. “His ability and willingness to compete for the ball and hit bodies and follow up and chase ... he really loves the contest.”

Midfield coach Andrew McQualter was more blunt: “He’s nearly put a couple of our players in hospital with his tackles, but he’s had a real presence so far.

“He’s a quiet, unassuming guy, but he works really hard and he’s made a great impression.”

In his brief exposure at AFL level, Nankervis has averaged five tackles per game — rated elite for a ruckman. That figure is higher than Richmond’s top tackler last year Trent Cotchin (4.6) and will help a team ranked last in the AFL for that statistic.

Most fans will get their first look at Nankervis tomorrow night at Etihad Stadium, and they will also see a more aggressive playing style after Caracella took charge of the Tigers’ ball movement.

“It probably hasn’t changed enormously, it’s just we’ve relaxed things a little bit, let players play their natural game and take the game on,” Astbury said.

“I do expect the ball to move a bit quicker this year.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-recruit-toby-nankervis-in-line-to-be-tigers-no1-ruckman/news-story/c09b07d2cc602a7d767c1012677d7b3f

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2017, 08:58:30 PM »
Been v v good
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2017, 09:06:46 PM »
 But we have Hampson

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2017, 09:09:27 PM »
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2017, 09:11:17 PM »
FFS I just seen Nank lay a tackle, what kind of bull poo was that, he shouldn't be wearing himself out doing that bullpoo

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2017, 09:13:03 PM »
FFS I just seen Nank lay a tackle, what kind of bull poo was that, he shouldn't be wearing himself out doing that bullpoo

Effing worry
"Sliding doors moment.