Author Topic: Toby Nankervis [merged]  (Read 178877 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Toby Nankervis [merged]
« Reply #300 on: April 29, 2017, 01:48:09 AM »
Richmond recruit Toby Nankervis fast becoming a fan favourite

Courtney Walsh
The Australian
29 April 2017

Having cultivated a mentorship under Ivan Maric, Toby Nankervis is emerging as a ruckman of influence and a Tigers fan favourite.

The mullet-sporting Maric is a cult figure at Punt Road, but under his tutoring, the Tigers are now hankering for their ruckman dubbed “Nank the Tank”.

There is a humorous undertone to a common statistic doing the rounds on social media, namely that since Richmond lured Nankervis from Sydney, the Tigers are five and zero and the Swans zero from five.

But there is no disputing the impact Nankervis has had on Richmond, with the ruckman playing a key role in their unbeaten start.

The Tigers put their five-game streak to the test against the top-placed and unbeaten Crows at Adelaide Oval tomorrow.

And Nankervis’s battle with Sam Jacobs, who is twice an All Australian nominee, is critical to Richmond’s chances of upsetting Adelaide at home.

In an interview with The Weekend Australian after a recent win, the fledgling ruckman credited his bright start at his new home to the tuition he has received from Maric, the man whose role he has assumed.

“He has been incredible with how selfless he is and how much he cares for the group,” he said.

“It is unbelievable. He has done so much for me. He helps me every week. He takes time out of his own day to help me, which is unbelievable. We are similar players, me and Ivy, about 199/200cm, and obviously he was a terrific player for a long time, so he has a lot of tricks and he is an unbelievable player and a special person as well.”

Nankervis showed promise in 13 games with Sydney over the past two years, with his five games last year against Geelong, Hawthorn, Adelaide, West Coast and Port Adelaide, four of which played finals. But he was starved of opportunities with Kurt Tippett, Sam Naismith and Callum Sinclair considered alongside or ahead of him at Sydney.

While Shaun Hampson proved a handy tap ruckman for Richmond last year with Maric sidelined, it was clear the Tigers needed further depth in the ruck and the strong-bodied Nankervis appealed. After meeting with coach Damien Hardwick in the off-season, Nankervis was convinced to move south, he told The Weekend Australian.

“It was hard to leave Sydney. I left under absolutely no bad terms at all. I have some of my best mates up there and some good relationships with my coaches,” he said.

“But for me, it was about trying to have a crack at senior footy. I had a good chat to Dimma (Hardwick) and he was someone I really clicked with straight away.

“He really cared about my family and where I have come from, stuff like that, which was just outstanding (and he is) someone who has real good relationships with players, so I am just rapt to be here.

“I am really excited about the young playing group, playing at the G in front of 70,000 to 80,000. It is unreal. I can’t describe it.”

So well has he started, questions are being asked as to whether the Swans made the right choice when trading the 22-year-old to Richmond for pick 45 in last year’s national draft.

Former Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd labelled the decision a blunder this week, saying the former Swan “has been huge” and praising his aggression.

“What a big error, what a big mistake that was from Sydney,” Lloyd said on 3AW.

“Kurt Tippett and Sam Naismith, they are ‘nice’ footballers. Nankervis plays in a way that you want to follow, a lot like Ivan Maric did a few years ago. (He is) just a bigger version.

“I just think they (Sydney) got that one horribly wrong, how they didn’t give him the opportunities, (because) suddenly a good player leaves their club.”

Nankervis was widely lauded for his performance against Melbourne last Monday night, with the fledgling ruckman receiving four votes in the AFL Coaches Award. Jason Dunstall praised him for the agility he showed during a pursuit and tackle on a Demon, quipping that Nankervis had Usain Bolt-type attributes.

An exaggeration, perhaps, but his teammate Shaun Grigg said recently that Nankervis is more than simply a ruckman.

“It’s like having an extra midfielder around, he’s so good at ground level,” Grigg said.

After the clash against Melbourne in which fellow Tasmanian Jack Riewoldt kicked a match-winning six goals, Nankervis quipped that they excelled because the wet, wintry conditions reminded them of the Apple Isle.

Nankervis hails from George Town, which sits on the mouth of the Tamar River and is also the home town of Carlton coach Brendon Bolton, former Demon Brad Green, cycling world champion Danny Clark and Australian spinner Xavier Doherty.

“I was speaking to Jack … and saying ‘We love this weather’. We have had it growing up all our lives, so we love it,” he told Fox Sports.

For all the plaudits offered this season to Nankervis, who notched 56 hit outs against the Demons, there is a surprising quirk in his game. Statistically, he is actually below par in a basic rucking skill, with his tap numbers against Melbourne inflated by the absence of Jake Spencer from midway through the game.

Purely on what he offers Richmond at ball-ups or boundary line throw-ins, Nankervis is less adept in these areas than Hampson was last year. Indeed, Nankervis has won only 40 per cent of his rucking contests this year and the Tigers sit 3rd last in terms of hit-outs to advantage this year. But that does not portray his true value.

Players talk so much about the value of playing their role that it has become a football cliche, but Nankervis is very much a role player. And the role he plays is helping oil the AFL’s most improved side, with his work around the ground particularly valuable.

The former Swan has set up behind the ball more than any other ruckman to date this season and, as a result, he ranks first in the competition in terms of intercept marks taken by ruckmen.

According to an analysis by Champion Data, he is assessed as above average in disposals gathered, contested possessions, clearances won and score assists.

His kicking for goal is elite. Admittedly, he has only kicked three goals, but he is yet to miss.

But it his hulking presence behind the ball that is of assistance to his team because, in part, it allows the Tigers to set up higher up the ground, an analyst said.

They are, Adelaide coach Don Pyke said, a “high pressure team”.

So far, so good for Nankervis, who impressed Richmond with his determination by showing up with the rookies and young Tigers from the opening day of the pre-season when he could have started a couple of weeks later.

“I was there for three or four days and I felt like I had been there forever,” he said.

“The young boys just got around me and I felt so welcome. I was lucky enough not to miss a session, the whole pre-season, and felt fit and strong and I feel good.”

The Tigers will be hoping “Nank the Tank” keeps rolling.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-recruit-toby-nankervis-fast-becoming-a-fan-favourite/news-story/96803c22f13105c93b798d671f807cde

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2017, 10:18:13 AM »
bloke is only 22 and enters yr 4. Hes a  juvenile in ruck terms.
He obviously showed all the  signs mentioned above at Sydney both on track and Neafl but none of it has translated to Afl yet.

Therein lies the problem or uncertainty. Theres been nothing to suggest he wont at some stage make a good Afl ruckman but I think we have to be patient.
 We recruited a developing ruckman who likely will take time. But like everyone thinks it would be great if he came on in leaps and bounds and replaced Hampson.Unfortunately at AFL level to date he is still behind Hampson. At the moment the only area that has been acceptable at the level is his aggression and work with out the ball.

All this = been there done that and what is of real concern is that from what little birdies have whispered to me, his selection was basically an afterthought of WTF lets do it type poo. 
If he works out it will be a bonus, but lets for once learn that for them to develop into good to top ruckman they need a base of some kind of skill that shows out from day one...havent we been down the same path a trillion times, affordeing the same excuse to the  likes of Steinfort, Biurton, Eastaugh, Browne Gus, Esler, Putt  etc....where we have waitied a decade for what was never going to happen to happen?
I have real concerns about this selection and from the info i have received re. his ability in most aspects outside this aggression is very limited and in fact ZERO...Why we allowed FJ to continue to be a part of recruiting is a complete mystery to me.  The Hampson charade is a pure desperate attempt to make right what every man and his dog knows was wrong with what we coughed up for him and this extension of 2 years for that he has provided us is complete and utter stupidity by a desperate regime wanting to delay the inevitable in the hope that the punters forget what they gave up for him and the other player we swooped on from the tankers for the same price.  Its there for all to see how desperate we are, when other teams arr building a list, we are resigning Ivvy who can harldy walk...like get real FFS
Toby has a lot more tricks in his bag other than aggression.
A lot more tricks in his bag as I said.
Will become a crowd favourite. Bookmark it.
Where is FlashGordon these days? :snidegrin
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #302 on: May 03, 2017, 12:36:32 PM »
Recruit watch: How are your new players going?
afl.com.au
3 May 2017

Toby Nankervis (six games):
Arguably recruit of the year across the competition so far, leading the Tigers' ruck division well with a rare balance of brute strength and mobility.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-03/recruit-watch-how-are-your-clubs-new-players-going

tony_montana

« Reply #303 on: May 03, 2017, 05:40:44 PM »
The 1 week holiday probably works out well for him. Looks like we're ging to run him into the ground this season with not much support so the weeks rest will help...

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #304 on: May 03, 2017, 08:09:03 PM »
Agreed. We flogged Maric to be solo ruck and destroyed hos ability to leap. Goldstein looks a shadow of his former self also for carrying North. Really need a Fwd/ruck who can give Nank the Tank some relief

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #305 on: May 11, 2017, 03:15:10 AM »
Richmond recruit Toby Nankervis tested by Fremantle’s Sandilands

The Australian
    May 11, 2017

Richmond’s emergence this season as a finals prospect will be put to the test on Sunday at the MCG when new No 1 big man Toby Nankervis goes head to head for the first time with Fremantle giant Aaron Sandilands.

Nankervis, 22, who will return from a one-match suspension, will be playing game No 20 as opposed to the Dockers’ veteran who will be in his 252nd match.

The Tigers are no doubt a much better side this season due to Nankervis, recruited from the Swans at the end of last year after just 13 games in two years. However, the improving ruckman faces his biggest test against a four-time All-Australian who at the age of 34, can still use his 211cm frame to dominate opponents.

While Sandilands may have a physical edge in ruck contests, Nankervis is a little more agile around the ground. In his past two games, Nankervis has averaged 15 possessions and 47 hit outs against Melbourne and Adelaide, while Sandilands, who did not kick the ball at all in last weekend’s win over Essendon, has averaged more than 52 ruck taps over the past month, resulting in wins over the Demons, North Melbourne and the Bombers.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-recruit-toby-nankervis-tested-by-fremantles-sandilands/news-story/c44e2ad6ab33431254986b33d23d6e6d

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #306 on: May 11, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »
I wonder if Nanks omission last week cost us the game.
Unleash the tornado

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #307 on: May 11, 2017, 11:52:04 AM »
I wonder if Nanks omission last week cost us the game.

I think so.

Will be interested to see how he goes vs Sandilands. Think he'll give Sandi a bath TBH, as Sandi looks like he can hardly move anymore.

Will lose hitouts but dominate him around the ground...

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #308 on: May 11, 2017, 12:29:03 PM »
Agreed. We flogged Maric to be solo ruck and destroyed hos ability to leap. Goldstein looks a shadow of his former self also for carrying North. Really need a Fwd/ruck who can give Nank the Tank some relief

You'd think that a club would, in ten years, be able to acquire two serviceable ruckmen at the same time.

Just saying
Caracella and Balmey.

tony_montana

« Reply #309 on: May 11, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »

You'd think that a club would, in ten years, be able to acquire two serviceable ruckmen at the same time.

Just saying

In all fairness that pootruck vickery had the perfect skillset to be a 2dn ruck/fwd but the sooky bitch wanted to be a perma fwd bc hes a lazy prick that couldnt be arsed playing ruck and the fitness required to cover ground. Much easier to sit in a pocket 80metres away from the ball carrier demanding it over the top

and Griff is just a flake

We need to get someone else and give Chol a run later on in the year to see if hes got what it takes

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #310 on: May 12, 2017, 03:45:30 AM »
Jon Ralph in the Herald-Sun is ranking our Nankervis trade the best of the new recruits in the AFL.

1. Toby Nankervis (Richmond): The Tigers plucked Nank the Tank from Sydney for just pick No.46 and have been wowed by his intercept marking, midfield grunt and hit-out-to-advantage rate.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/we-rate-every-clubs-offseason-trade-and-free-agency-recruits-after-seven-weeks/news-story/00dd33706aff1a504f01b13957f828dd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #311 on: May 20, 2017, 10:11:46 PM »
Nankervis enjoys a memorable return to Sydney

The former Swan spent three seasons in the harbour city, but because of his lack of senior opportunities, he never got to play the Giants, or take on their star big man Shane Mumford. Nankervis made up for lost time with a great game in Richmond's loss at Spotless Stadium however, with his mobility causing Mumford plenty of headaches. The 22-year-old had 19 possessions, 11 of those contested, 19 hit outs, three contested marks and five tackles, and continues to show why he's been one of the competition's most valuable recruits. It was a physical battle between two of the league's most aggressive ruckmen, and it was no fault of Nankervis that they weren't able to hold on.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-20/five-talking-points-gws-v-richmond

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #312 on: May 21, 2017, 09:08:07 AM »
Mumford did some big things in the last but overall a good return to form. Clearly enjoys going up against the physical types rather than the giants (Jacobs, Sandi)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2017, 10:30:21 AM »
The Nank offsets the Prestia trade
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
He's still so young and inexperienced especially for a big man. Will be AA in the next couple years if he continues his improvement and intensity