Author Topic: Can Richmond now be considered the biggest Victorian club? [merged]  (Read 6853 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond tipped to overtake Collingwood as biggest AFL club

Peter Rolfe
    Sunday Herald Sun
    August 15, 2015 8:09PM

RICHMOND is poised to overtake Collingwood as the biggest club in the AFL, ­experts believe.

The AFL’s sleeping giant has been kicking goals off the field, with more than 70,000 members now and record sponsorship deals.

Experts believe the ­Tigers could soon surpass the Magpies as the number one club in town, on the back of strong on-field showings.

Sponsorship expert Jack Watts says if Richmond can land a preliminary final berth this year, its membership total could go past that of the Pies by the middle of next year.

Richmond already has the fastest-growing membership base when ranked against other top four premiership contenders, ­despite not earning the double chance since 2001.

“Collingwood are still in front but Richmond are not far behind,’’ Mr Watts said.

“I’d say that if the Tigers finish in the top four, play in a preliminary final, then it will happen in the middle of next year. For Richmond fans, ­making a preliminary final would be the tipping point. It would be the monkey-off-the-back moment where everybody jumps on the bandwagon.’’

Bastion EBA has plotted the membership rise of the AFL’s most successful clubs against their on-field performance.

The Tigers have had the league’s strongest membership growth since 2011, despite failing to finish in the top four in those years.

“In the past decade Collingwood has certainly been the benchmark in all the key aspects of how to run a football club,’’ Mr Watts said.

“The most fans, members, Friday night matches ... but the sands are starting to shift.

“Collingwood might have maxed out and the others catch up.’’

Richmond’s website listed a membership of 70,937 on Friday. Collingwood’s was 76,433, and the Magpies are unlikely to play finals.

Richmond chief Brendan Gale said the club was determined to succeed.

“We have a fantastically loyal and passionate fan base and as a club and we will never take it for granted,’’ he said. “We don’t focus on size and scale — it’s simply a byproduct of getting other things right, and clearly our football team is playing their part at the moment.’’

Richmond cheer squad president Gerard Egan said: “There are a number of clubs that are very worried about Richmond being successful because we will eclipse everybody in fans, merchandise, sales and numbers.’’

BY THE NUMBERS

COLLINGWOOD

Members 2014: 79,347

Members 2015: 76,433

Average home game crowd 2014: 48,046

RICHMOND

Members 2014: 66,122

Members 2015: 70,937

Average home game crowd 2014: 43,196

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-tigers-tipped-to-overtake-collingwood-as-biggest-afl-club/story-fnp04d70-1227485123671

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Ha ha hope Eddie spits out his weeties this morning and his head explodes when he reads this

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
I'd say the tipping point wont be making a Preliminary Final, it will be breaking our Premiership drought. When the Tigers win the flag, this town will be hit by a yellow and black tsunami that will wash Collingwood and everyone else away. And personally, I CAN'T WAIT.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Who gives a flying f

No point having great numbers when you can't win a flag or even a final
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Who gives a flying f

Absolutely spot on.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Record Sponsorship deals?

But no details of what they are...

A lot of "if this happens, that will happen" in that article

Who gives a flying f

tend to agree with this

Richmond chief Brendan Gale said the club was determined to succeed.

We have a fantastically loyal and passionate fan base and as a club and we will never take it for granted,’’ he said. “We don’t focus on size and scale — it’s simply a byproduct of getting other things right, and clearly our football team is playing their part at the moment.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-tigers-tipped-to-overtake-collingwood-as-biggest-afl-club/story-fnp04d70-1227485123671

ANd we know the highlighted bit is extremely debatable  >:(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
this has been coming for a while now, we know it , now they know it
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Can Richmond now be considered the biggest Victorian club? [merged]
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 06:18:34 AM »
VIDEO: https://twitter.com/FootyClassified/status/894529989818830848

* Biggest home attendances by some margin (Rich 546k, Ess 478k, Adel 462k, Coll 416k).

* Dominating the media headlines including front and back pages of the Herald-Sun.

* Dusty is Brownlow medal favourite and is king of the kids in terms of most popular player in the comp.

* Melbourne's best premiership hope sitting 3rd on the ladder (equal 2nd on pts)

* Only one of two Victorian clubs to have more than 70k members (72,535).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:01:09 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
They were (are) lame stats
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
They were (are) lame stats

They forgot best club song. That always figures somewhere in this discussion.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Tim watson this morning trying to argue Bombres were still number 1 for game attendances. Not sure what is fact
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

tony_montana

overall attendances bombers number 1

home attendance we are way ahead

too many variables to take it seriously anyway

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
The only measure i want to boast is winning a premiership this year so lets worry about what counts.
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
The only measure i want to boast is winning a premiership this year so lets worry about what counts.
:clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
:clapping
:clapping :clapping
The club that keeps giving.