Author Topic: Four Coaches and One Job  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Four Coaches and One Job
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 06:20:57 PM »
Its pretty easy to be pessimistic at the moment, but it wouldn't surprise me for things to turn around quicker than other think. We have a young core that's still maturing, similar to the Hawks back in 2004. No one rated their kids coming through, but a disciplined coach brought them into the side and had them playing team football pretty quickly, despite a few floggings here and there.

The fact Hardwick was part of that makes me lean towards him more than others. I certainly think the Hawks overachieved early, however they certainly play hard, team football, I hate the zone and hope that's not Hardwick wants to implement at Richmond, however that type of discipline is something our players should aspire to.

As for the off field stuff, I'm planning to win Tattslotto or Powerball and will use the money to disband the coteries who think their money buys them power and influence over the club. Be patient, I'm working on it ;)

and pay out McMuffin?
Not sure I could even bare to even part with Tattslotto winnings, giving him money just sends a shiver down my spine. I reckon I'd pay double his annual salary to get him to go to another club for a late 1st/early 2nd round draft pick.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 08:39:15 PM »
Apparently, of all the people interviewed for the coaching position, Alan Richardson was by far the most impressive - from what I have heard he spoke exceptionally, was very well prepared and had a dossier on every Richmond player, their strengths and weaknesses etc

The worry is that the Board is seriously thinking of taking the easy "safe" option of Hardwick, not because he won the process but because everyone externally sees him as the SAFE option - hope this part of it isnt true"

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/tiger-talk/message/91985

Disppointing if this is true that someone involved in the process has spoken to a friend who has then blabbed but that's a point for another day

My point is....

The term "safe option" is actually a really good description for it.

Yesterday (ie an earlier post on this thread) I used the term "soft/Obvious" option and during today I've been thinking the term I was looking for was perhaps "conservative option" but safe is actually what I was trying to articulate....

I look at Mick Malthouse he was IIRC 31 years old when appointed by Footscray, no coaching experience and just out of the game..they took one of the biggest punts in footy, they were daring, made a massively bold decision and look how that turned out...

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 09:17:33 PM »
A poster on tiger-talk had this to say:

"This is a friend of a friend (who is directly involved in the process) story so take it as you will but I thought it was interesting.

Apparently, of all the people interviewed for the coaching position, Alan Richardson was by far the most impressive - from what I have heard he spoke exceptionally, was very well prepared and had a dossier on every Richmond player, their strengths and weaknesses etc

The worry is that the Board is seriously thinking of taking the easy "safe" option of Hardwick, not because he won the process but because everyone externally sees him as the SAFE option - hope this part of it isnt true"

Fun times!
And lots of these  :shh  and these   ;)  and these   :help  and these   :sleep  and these   :whistle  and the only one that really counts  :gotigers

Ah, nice red herring, that one. Good to see that Richardson has a PR arm to his campaign. Nice magic trick if you can get away with it. Some will believe it.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2009, 09:56:50 PM »

mick malthouse played thru a successful era at RFC, I know your alluding to Rawlo, he has nothing to draw on in that regard having played in teams that fliundered...what will he draw on in preparing an assault on 2010 to resurrect this great club...I'd rather bank on what Hinkley, Hardwick or richo could bring to the table in that regard :o

Disppointing if this is true that someone involved in the process has spoken to a friend who has then blabbed but that's a point for another day

My point is....

The term "safe option" is actually a really good description for it.

Yesterday (ie an earlier post on this thread) I used the term "soft/Obvious" option and during today I've been thinking the term I was looking for was perhaps "conservative option" but safe is actually what I was trying to articulate....

I look at Mick Malthouse he was IIRC 31 years old when appointed by Footscray, no coaching experience and just out of the game..they took one of the biggest punts in footy, they were daring, made a massively bold decision and look how that turned out...

RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled