Author Topic: Terry Wallace admits draft mistakes as Richmond coach (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3301 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Terry Wallace admits draft mistakes as Richmond coach

Confidential writers
    June 09, 2011 11:52AM

TIGERS fans may want to look away now.

The moment the club twice passed on superstar Lance Franklin in the 2004 draft is painful enough for every Richmond supporter, but when you look at the calibre of players who could have played around Buddy, the pain could be even worse.

In his role as List Manager on Channel 9 program TAC Cup: Future Stars, former Richmond coach Terry Wallace has looked at the 2004 national draft in hindsight, and says if the club had made the right decisions, he might even still be the coach.

"Who knows? If I had this group of boys at my disposal, I might be still sitting in an office at Punt Rd," Wallace said with a laugh.

"List management and recruiting changes everything in AFL football. It should always be the No.1 priority of footy department spending."

Richmond had five picks in the top 20 of the 2004 draft and only Brett Deledio, taken with pick one, is still the club. The Tigers also recruited Richard Tambling (pick four) before the Hawks nabbed Franklin at No.5.

Wallace said the Tigers could have had one of the best forward lines in the competition, with Franklin lining up alongside Matthew Richardson, Nathan Brown, Andrew Krakouer, David Rodan and Travis Cloke.

Cloke was available to the Tigers under the father-son rule and could have been taken with a third-round selection.

Wallace also said if Richmond had managed Brad Ottens better, the ruckman could still be running around in the yellow and black.

The Tigers traded Ottens at the end of 2004 for picks 12 and 16, which they used on Danny Meyer and Adam Pattison.

Wallace has ranked retrospectively the first round of the 2004 draft in which the Hawks took Jarryd Roughead at No.2 and the Bulldogs recruited Ryan Griffen with pick three. The Wallace rankings can be seen on Sunday at 1pm on Channel 9. He now ranks Tambling as pick 17.

He said the Tigers had fared much better in recent drafts. "And I'm rapt for them. It's great to see the club finally on the right track," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/terry-wallace-admits-draft-mistakes-as-richmond-coach/story-e6frf9jf-1226072293962

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Terry Wallace admits draft mistakes as Richmond coach (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »
Wallet. :sleep
He makes it sound like coaching isn't all that important but didn't have any problem putting a wad of our cash in his sky rocket at the expense of recruiting.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:46:38 PM by Mr Magic »

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:25:37 PM »
Wallace said the Tigers could have had one of the best forward lines in the competition, with Franklin lining up alongside Matthew Richardson, Nathan Brown, Andrew Krakouer, David Rodan and Travis Cloke.

and those forwards would have been licking their lips seeing JON, Polo, Tambling and McMahon streaming towards them with ball in hand  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »

and those forwards would have been licking their lips seeing JON, Polo, Tambling and McMahon streaming towards them with ball in hand  :lol

:lol

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »
Recruiting in Wallace era was overall very poor. He should have known better

Offline Tigermad20011

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 06:03:19 PM »
Spin spin and more spin.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »
Cloke was available to the Tigers under the father-son rule and could have been taken with a third-round selection.

From memory that's crap ? I thought we did want T.Cloke but he and dear old dad chose Collingwood ?
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 06:33:41 PM »
That's how I remember it too.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 06:37:26 PM »

From memory that's crap ? I thought we did want T.Cloke but he and dear old dad chose Collingwood ?

Yep, Clokes were Father-Son at both Collingwood and Richmond.
Collingwood took Jason and Cameron so they could get Travis.
Once the Pies had Travis they flicked Jason and Cameron.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 06:45:52 PM »
Can't quite recall but somehow Coughlan at pick 24 was involved ? I remember bluing with a Collingwood mate about who did better out of it ?
Enlighten me someone

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 06:55:49 PM »
Can't quite recall but somehow Coughlan at pick 24 was involved ? I remember bluing with a Collingwood mate about who did better out of it ?
Enlighten me someone
Cogs and Jason Cloke were taken in the same draft (2000). The Pies got Cloke as F/S at pick #19 and we selected Cogs at pick #25.

Out of interest we drafted Kayne Pettifer (8 ), Cogs (25), Chris Hyde (40), Krakouer (41), Newy (55) and recycled ex-Saint Steven Sziller (57) in that draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_AFL_Draft

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »
Wallace failed as a coach with the players he had. He was sacked by chris Newman - he conveniently forgot to mention that as he had completely lost the players.
He failed as coach, miller failed as list manager/recruiter/jack of all trades.

He needs to move on.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 08:08:57 PM »
Cogs and Jason Cloke were taken in the same draft (2000). The Pies got Cloke as F/S at pick #19 and we selected Cogs at pick #25.
That's the one ! 
Was rippin into my mate and he said we don't care about Jason coz we only drafted him so we get Travis. I said that's a huge risk considering we've got one of the best mids in the comp and future captain out of it.
Damn !

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 08:28:02 PM »
If Miller was the coach and Wallet was the list manager it seems we would have won a flag.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 08:37:19 PM »

If Miller was the coach and Wallet was the list manager it seems we would have won a flag.
:thumbsup
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.