Author Topic: Richmond AFL boss says lock it in to Cairns (Cairns Post)  (Read 1546 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond AFL boss says lock it in to Cairns (Cairns Post)
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »
Richmond AFL boss says lock it in to Cairns

Murray Wenzel
Thursday, July 11, 2013
The Cairns Post

RICHMOND boss Brendan Gale has urged any club considering playing a home game at Cazalys to ignore his side's on-field woes in the Far North and lock it in.

The Tigers CEO admitted he never thought they would lose both games to the Gold Coast when he signed the deal with the AFL, but that it had still been an off-field success.

With no premiership game scheduled for Cairns next season and the Gold Coast Suns only committed to playing as the away team, the future of AFL in the region is in limbo following this Saturday night's fixture.

But Gale backed the venue and the city to remain an AFL destination.

"I would hope and expect there should be games played up there next year and into the future," he told The Cairns Post yesterday.

"It's a huge positive for the community and the Richmond Football Club can't speak highly enough of the AFL Cairns football family."

When Richmond agreed to play three home games in Cairns in 2010 they were a young playing group with a big debt.

Now they are debt free, have more than 60,000 members and are pushing for a finals berth.

Gale said that was a prime example of how, off field at least, the club had benefited from its association with Cairns and why other Victorian clubs in a similar predicament could benefit from doing the same.

"I couldn't have imagined it would be any worse here last year, but in the circumstances it was when Karmichael Hunt kicked that goal," he said. "But I won't lie, as much as it was about promoting the sport up in Cairns, it was a commercial decision to come here and build financial strength."

"On-field aside, we couldn't be happier with our experience."

Now the club have developed into a team that wants to play finals year-in, year-out, Gale said moving more games away from the MCG was not an option.

"We are averaging 60,000 to our home games; we just can't afford to do that," he said.

He said the team had matured since last year's gutting loss in Cairns.

"The manner in which we lost last year was not in isolation. We're controlling the close games better now and that just comes with experience and we got that by playing as a young group in places like Cairns."

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2013/07/11/245146_local-sport-news.html

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Richmond AFL boss says lock it in to Cairns (Cairns Post)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »
Sounds like Norf's type of thing
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:46:12 AM »

Could you imagine the poo eater expression on Brad Scotts face after losing the match post siren to a Karmichael Hunt goal  :wallywink

They couldnt beat them in metricon let alone the conditions of cairns
Cmon norf do it!! U go gals!  :dancing
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:55:49 AM »

Could you imagine the poo eater expression on Brad Scotts face after losing the match post siren to a Karmichael Hunt goal  :wallywink

They couldnt beat them in metricon let alone the conditions of cairns
Cmon norf do it!! U go gals!  :dancing

I have no idea how they lost to GC at metricon and then pumped us

Ruanaidh

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 03:52:49 AM »
I can't remember who said it on 3aw (may have been Caro) but they claimed local Cairns reps were so happy with the turnout to the game they begged a Richmond official to reconsider our plans not to play anymore home games up there. This Richmond official of course told them "no". Dwayne Russell then said it's too successful for the AFL to lose and that Richmond could go up there as the away team from now on against the Gold Coast.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 05:10:25 AM »
I can't remember who said it on 3aw (may have been Caro) but they claimed local Cairns reps were so happy with the turnout to the game they begged a Richmond official to reconsider our plans not to play anymore home games up there. This Richmond official of course told them "no". Dwayne Russell then said it's too successful for the AFL to lose and that Richmond could go up there as the away team from now on against the Gold Coast.

Wtf get stuffed afl

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 05:11:50 AM »
How did the attendance up there compare to the best numbers at Metricon?
Would've thought it would be very comparable which makes me think GC should be trying to play 2-3 homies up there each year.
If GC want to pay us $500k for a game up there each year - I'd be fine with it providing it is their home game.
Call it "appearance money"  :lol
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 07:46:08 AM »
There's a certain club now under afl administration , having just received a 2m bailout , may need to soon acquaint themselves with FNQ :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »
The Cairns Demons, Cairns Kangaroos or the Cairns Giants?  :shh
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

gerkin greg

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »
FNQ
****ing North Queensland

tony_montana

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 03:32:56 PM »
If GC want to pay us $500k for a game up there each year - I'd be fine with it providing it is their home game.
Call it "appearance money"  :lol

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »
The Cairns Demons, Cairns Kangaroos or the Cairns Giants?  :shh

How bout Cairns Pythons and send Nahas up as captain?  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 11:42:59 PM »
cant remember where I heard it, but was stated the flouos will not be moving any home games under any circumstance.