Author Topic: Libba on the footy show says Carlton Tanked  (Read 4329 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Libba on the footy show says Carlton Tanked
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »
And Cotchin wanted to come to Punt Rd so I'm happy  :thumbsup.

The only time I had suspicions we tanked last year was the final 5-10 minutes of the Saints game when we, despite having the run of the play for most of the quarter, out of nowhere started chipping it short back and forth in the backline which of course eventually made us turnover possession again and again. The difference to Carlton was though they tanking from round 10  ::).

As much as I hate Carlton most clubs have tanked by playing the kids and making convenient team selections and moves on gameday. The AFL won't do anything about these claims like most things as much as it would be hilarious is the bluebaggers got whacked again. The problem is the draft system where as we learnt the hard way punishes sides that consistently finish in 9th-11th limbo while rewarding teams that finish down the bottom. There should be a lottery system like in the NBA instead (but hold off any chance for a year  ;D).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 02:06:54 PM »
"what rubbish"'

I beg your pardon? - As Tom would say take a chill pill and put your manners back in.

Tigermonk

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 02:51:42 PM »
as l said this is just the lid been taken off the can of worms
Tanking is the most discussed subject in the AFL in the last 6 months
there had been special meetings behind closed doors about it
remember it was Hutchy who contacted Libba not vice versa  :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2008, 03:21:26 PM »
Agree the lid has been taken off TM but I reckon the AFL won't want to face it as it all comes back to their draft rules. Despite it being morally wrong and not being in the spirit of the game, there is no rule which says what team a coach can/cannot put on the field and what moves he can/cannot make during a game. Andy D and co. aren't ones for admitting they are wrong.

I notice also in the paper today Sugar said we didn't tank.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »
Agree the lid has been taken off TM but I reckon the AFL won't want to face it as it all comes back to their draft rules. Despite it being morally wrong and not being in the spirit of the game, there is no rule which says what team a coach can/cannot put on the field and what moves he can/cannot make during a game. Andy D and co. aren't ones for admitting they are wrong.
And a very negative side-effect is that it means the various betting agencies are taking bets on a contest that, for want of a better term, is 'rigged'.  In horse racing, if the stewards get a sniff of something not being allowed to run on its merits then they will generally move heaven and earth to find the truth and keep the contest as fair for all parties as possible.  The sport probably wouldn't survive without it.  Its a blight on our game's professionalism and spirit of fair play that through the deliberate ignorance and inaction of the games custodians they allow this situation to occur.

Poor form AFL - you know it's happening yet do nothing.   >:( >:( >:(

Little Jackie

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 03:42:25 PM »

Sugars comments :lol :lol
We cant win a game Sugar!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 04:58:42 PM »
Libba will meet with the AFL next week according to SEN.

Tigermonk

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2008, 05:03:44 PM »
Thats correct MT the AFL in Demetriou & Anderson will turn a blind eye
its thier bad running of the AFL which has caused it to be in the situation it is today
$$$ covers the eyes who see it but willnot correct it because they are the people who say it never happened or is happening
l cannot justify his pay packet of around 1.4 million dollars per year
Anderson is the biggest smirking FW ever in the AFL & is in damage control

Smokey-58au the horse racing industry is just as bad the top guy was caught betting & had to resign recently.
l think anything that huge money is involved in has coruption,  its the way the world revolves round these days

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2008, 07:59:03 PM »
Smokey-58au the horse racing industry is just as bad the top guy was caught betting & had to resign recently.
l think anything that huge money is involved in has coruption,  its the way the world revolves round these days
Yes TM you are dead right about money and corruption but the difference is that Racing Victoria acted when it had the information - the silence and inaction from the AFL will be both deafening and damning. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »
And a very negative side-effect is that it means the various betting agencies are taking bets on a contest that, for want of a better term, is 'rigged'.  In horse racing, if the stewards get a sniff of something not being allowed to run on its merits then they will generally move heaven and earth to find the truth and keep the contest as fair for all parties as possible.  The sport probably wouldn't survive without it.  Its a blight on our game's professionalism and spirit of fair play that through the deliberate ignorance and inaction of the games custodians they allow this situation to occur.

Poor form AFL - you know it's happening yet do nothing.   >:( >:( >:(
There would've been a number of people betting on Carlton's opponent to win each week in the second half of last year. It would've been better and safer than bank interest  :P.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2008, 10:01:38 AM »
There would've been a number of people betting on Carlton's opponent to win each week in the second half of last year. It would've been better and safer than bank interest  :P.
Sadly that is both true and perverse at the same time.  :-\

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »

Sugars comments :lol :lol
We cant win a game Sugar!

when someone asks this guy a question he should respond " no comment"
he is not worthy to represent the richmond football club as a footballer
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Libba backflip on tank claims
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2008, 04:44:04 AM »
Libba backflip on tank claims
Jackie Epstein and Tony Sheahan | March 16, 2008

TONY Liberatore will back away from his claims that Carlton tanked last season when the AFL meets with him this week.

And the former Blues assistant coach said he was not paid for The Footy Show interview, saying he spoke out because he wants the system to change.

"If they say to me, 'Do you think Carlton tanked?', I would say, 'I don't think they did'." Liberatore told SEN yesterday.

"We had something in vogue that we wanted to play the young kids no matter what. My understanding is if that might compromise a win or a loss that's their (the AFL's) direction.

"If there's anything suspicious or sinister it's certainly not from my behalf. If there's anything they need to talk to me about by all means.

"I do think it's a bit of a bugbear and I think the system's wrong and that's the main reason why I think we have to change it."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23381903-19742,00.html

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2008, 04:51:50 AM »
Either the Kneecappers have gone and paid Libba a visit to show him a presentation on their talents if he does not retract his comments or
he still believes he has not burned all his bridges and may coach within the AFL system someday.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2008, 10:51:32 AM »
Either the Kneecappers have gone and paid Libba a visit to show him a presentation on their talents if he does not retract his comments or
he still believes he has not burned all his bridges and may coach within the AFL system someday.
Your first point most likely - probably in the form of potential legal action.