Author Topic: Dan Richardson on SEN / Tigers 'paying the price' for recruit strategy  (Read 20205 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond GM of Football Dan Richardson discusses the Tigers poor start to the season, and defends their overall strategy.

AUDIO: https://audioboom.com/boos/4507860-richmond-gm-of-football-dan-richardson-on-breakfast

----------------------------------------------------------

Tigers 'paying the price' for recruit strategy

AFL.com.au
May 2, 2016

RICHMOND is "paying the price" for attempting to fast-track its list rebuild under Damien Hardwick with mature-age recruits, football manager Dan Richardson says.

Richardson told SEN radio on Monday that when Hardwick took over as senior coach at the end of 2009 Richmond had decided it could not afford an eight-year rebuild.

After opening the 2010 season with nine straight losses, Hardwick led Richmond back to the finals in 2013 for the first time in 11 years.

The Tigers' revival came on the back of a recruitment strategy that saw the club bolster its list with mature-age recruits such as Shaun Grigg, Bachar Houli, Ivan Maric, Troy Chaplin, Chris Knights, Aaron Edwards, Ricky Petterd, Orren Stephenson and Sam Lonergan.

Over the next three years, they added Shaun Hampson, Nathan Gordon, Sam Lloyd, Todd Banfield, Matt Thomas, Anthony Miles, Taylor Hunt, Andrew Moore, Kane Lambert, Jacob Townsend and Chris Yarran.

Richardson said it had been "a terrific achievement" for Richmond to make the finals in Hardwick's four years at the helm, but acknowledged the Tigers' list management strategy had been a factor in the club's slow start to 2016.

"We couldn't take eight years to rebuild. We needed to become competitive a bit quicker than that. But at that time all the best talent basically for the next four to five years was going to be going north (to Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney)," Richardson said.

"We're seeing the likes of GWS reap the rewards of that now. Our strategy wasn't just to go to the draft like a lot of clubs did because we knew that would probably take six to eight years and we've seen that with the likes of Melbourne.

"We didn't think Richmond fans would accept an eight-year rebuild. We turned it around in four, which I think was a terrific achievement.

"We're paying a price in the sense that we knew that that mature-age talent would get us to a point but not take us to the next level, which was always going to be the hardest part.

"While it's been disappointing somewhat to not win a final, it's been a good achievement to play finals for three years in a row for the first time for 20 years for the club."

Richardson acknowledged everyone at Punt Road was frustrated by the club's 1-5 start to 2016, but he was confident that 2014 draftees Corey Ellis (pick No.12), Connor Menadue (pick No.33) and 2015 pick Daniel Rioli (No.15) would be "really good long-term players".

"We certainly knew that to go to the next level we needed to get some young talent into the club and we've done that with our list over the last few years, and ultimately hopefully (we can) top up with some other A-grade talent," Richardson said.

Richardson was also optimistic that Yarran could still be "a good long-term player for the club" despite the former Blue's injury-plagued start to his career at Punt Road.

Yarran had foot surgery in March after failing to recover from plantar fasciitis over the pre-season.

Richardson said Yarran's foot was fully recovered and he had completed two weeks of "reasonable running sessions".

The Tigers footy boss did not nominate a likely return date for Yarran but expected he would resume "ball work and more football-related training" in the next few weeks.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-02/richmond-paying-the-price-for-recruiting-strategy-says-football-manager

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Why do they even bother?
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Fans won't accept a long rebuild

But fans will accept a pack of list blocking duds?

Morons
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yeah na

We were going to rebuild the list after the Wallace era but you see cause of the expansion clubs it's all too hard so we got a heap of list blockers to try roll into 8th/9th

Some heaps of other clubs were able to continue developing with eye to a potential flag but we thought stuff it. Me and Dimmas mates all top blokes
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Thank goodness i had parked the car when he made is "the fams wouldn't have accepted an 8 year rebuild" comment

What an absolute cop out and insult.

We deserve better than having to carry the can for the clubs mistakes  :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
Thank goodness i had parked the car when he made is "the fams wouldn't have accepted an 8 year rebuild" comment

We deserve better than having to carry the can for the clubs mistakes  :banghead

Yes

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka

Vote with your arse.
Stop going to games.
Everybody !!
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame

Vote with your arse.
Stop going to games.
Everybody !!

Cancel auto renew membership too with a strongly worded letter me thinks also

The club says and does a lot lf Shyte but as Wp says today's effort is just per weak

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Stop going to games.
Everybody !!

Cant do that Ox catch up with a dear friend every home game.

She's 80 and the footy is her thing. I wont do that to her

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Wait - so first they reckon the don't listen to the "vocal minorty" or let all the external chatter influence their decisons...and now they're basically trying to say the strategies of the past 7 years have been dictated by what the fans might think?

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Wait - so first they reckon the don't listen to the "vocal minorty" and let all the external chatter influence their decisons...and now they're basically saying the strategies of the past 7 years have been dictated by what the fans might think?

Thats how i took it, hence why i was relieved i had parked the car. I've only had it a fortnight, could of damaged it if i was still driving listening to the "fans wouldnt accept" crap

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
So desperate to cover their own arses and not accept any blame, they've effectively resorted to blaming the supporters....

Yep - 70,000 members, Fighting Tiger Fund, highest attendances in the AFL.....what a selfish bunch of greedy, demanding pricks we are.....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

Vote with your arse.
Stop going to games.
Everybody !!

:thumbsup

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
So desperate to cover their own arses and not accept any blame, they've effectively resorted to blaming the supporters....

Yep - 70,000 members, Fighting Tiger Fund, highest attendances in the AFL.....what a selfish bunch of greedy, demanding pricks we are.....

Not to mention that clubs like the Bulldogs, Norf and now Melbourne & St Kilda all have chosen recruiting paths that take time without shortcuts and yet all have significantly smaller supporter bases.
Why state no short cuts in 2010 and change tact a year later?
Unprofessional, internally lost deluded club.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Ruanaidh

Vote with your arse.
Stop going to games.
Everybody !!

:thumbsup
x2