Author Topic: BEN COUSINS [merged]  (Read 214961 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: BEN COUSINS [merged]
« Reply #600 on: February 02, 2009, 03:53:07 AM »
This isn't on the web so I typed it out ..... more Cuz non-footy goss!

---------------------------------------
Ben's sitting pretty
By CHRIS DE KRETSER and DARYL TIMMS
Herald-Sun | Mon 02 FEB 2009, Page 74

STAR Tiger recruit Ben Cousins is still on the hunt for digs, although he's not doing it hard living in Richmond president Gary March's comfortable residence in Middle Park.

Cousins, a guest at the tennis last week with his sister Melanie, is house-sitting for March, who is on holiday in North America.

He has been spotted several times with his new girlfriend Maylea enjoying the bar and restaurant life in the area.

It is likely that's where the fallen Eagle-cum-Tiger will be looking to settle -- it's where many of his mates live and a place he has often frequented when visiting Melbourne.

And Cousins has a new minder, Port Melbourne identity Tim Smith.

Smith, the Western Bulldogs boxing trainer, has been by his side when Cousins has stepped out in public.

And Smith knows real estate in the area. The former owner of the London Hotel before taking over The Beach Hotel, Smith used to share a house in the area with Damien Oliver before the jockey got married.

He'll be able to give Cousins sound advice on the property market.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #601 on: February 04, 2009, 09:17:08 AM »
Cousins an example for Tiger cubs

RICHMOND recruit Ben Cousins has been a shining example to the young Tiger players, according to skipper Chris Newman.

Newman said Cousins, who showed his class in an intra-club trial held during heat-wave conditions last Friday, notching up 14 touches in a quarter's worth of football, had been setting standards that made it easy for the younger members of the squad to see what was required at AFL level.

"He's really positive and upbeat and he's a good player to have at our club because he does all the right things on the track," Newman said. "He's pushing himself to limits that a lot of the young guys have never seen before, so to have him out there to be setting that standard coming into a new club has really impressed me and all the other boys."

Newman, who was appointed Tiger captain at the end of last season, said Cousins' influence had, at this stage, been one of example-setting rather than taking on an active leadership role. "He sets his example by the way he goes about it. It's good to be able to grab a young bloke aside and say: 'That's how a professional player goes about his business'," Newman said. "In terms of taking a leadership role around the club, that would be pretty harsh to expect that of him, first-up, and, to be honest, I think our leadership group is equipped now to be able to take that over."

Newman said the team was fit and the players eager to get back into game conditions with its first NAB Cup game against Fremantle on Sunday February 15 at Subiaco.

"The boys are up and going and everyone is basically fit. There's only a few left in rehab now," he said. "So we've got a pretty full list to chose from going into (against Fremantle). It's obviously that time of year where the pre-season phase stops and the more game-style structure comes into play so the boys are jumping out of their skins … there's a little bit of argy-bargy going on at training now. You can sense a little bit of urgency with the boys now and they're trying to get their spot because they see it as their opportunity to be able to have a platform to play in (the first game)."

"We're having a problem picking a side (because) there's so many blokes to choose from.

"You can throw a blanket over a lot of boys, so I think it (will be) a last-ditch effort to try and impress and make sure they are out there."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/cousins-an-example-for-tiger-cubs/2009/02/03/1233423224243.html
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #602 on: February 04, 2009, 06:35:45 PM »
"He's really positive and upbeat and he's a good player to have at our club because he does all the right things on the track," Newman said. "He's pushing himself to limits that a lot of the young guys have never seen before, so to have him out there to be setting that standard coming into a new club has really impressed me and all the other boys."
If that alone is Cousins' legacy then he has been a valuable pick-up to Richmond already. If that 14-possession in a quarter (10 minutes according to Rawlings :o ) comment is true then that's a bonus too  :thumbsup.

Newman, who was appointed Tiger captain at the end of last season, said Cousins' influence had, at this stage, been one of example-setting rather than taking on an active leadership role. "He sets his example by the way he goes about it. It's good to be able to grab a young bloke aside and say: 'That's how a professional player goes about his business'," Newman said. "In terms of taking a leadership role around the club, that would be pretty harsh to expect that of him, first-up, and, to be honest, I think our leadership group is equipped now to be able to take that over."
He probably wouldn't look out of place in our leadership group now he's been at Tigerland for 6 weeks but it's better for Cuz to just concern himself with getting back into footy and getting his life back together. Like Richo, Cuz can set the example as an older player.

Cuz is also sounding more like one of the boys on the track now given we were talking about how he was fitting in a few weeks ago. Lots of "Cuzzy, Cuzzy, Cuzzy" calls at training yesterday and Cousins now yells out for the ball using teammate nicknames.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #603 on: February 05, 2009, 02:10:36 PM »
Cousins hits ground running
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
12:45 PM Thu 05 February, 2009

BEN COUSINS has made an encouraging return to the football field, playing the first half of Richmond’s intra-club match at Gosch’s Paddock on Thursday morning.

Cousins, watched by about 1000 spectators, picked up about a dozen touches and improved as the game went on after struggling early against speedster Matty White.

The 31-year-old’s use of the ball was good and his pick-ups generally as clean as ever, although after most short-sharp runs he was bending over, hands on shorts, Robert Harvey-style.

Assistant coach Brian Royal said the club was satisfied with what it had seen from Cousins in the game.

“Look, we were happy that Ben got through the first half,” he said.

“He was playing in probably our second side, and that was more for Ben to just get back into the game, but we were really happy that he got through the two quarters we’d planned to play.

“He certainly got his hands on the footy.”

But Royal disagreed with the assertion that the Brownlow medallist was lacking match fitness.

“Well, I didn’t notice that; I thought he actually adapted to the pace of the game reasonably well.

“The thing with game plans, they’re quite different from club to club, and Ben’s probably adapting to the speed of our game.

“We probably play a little bit more through the corridor than West Coast, so it takes a little bit of time to adapt to that.”

Royal said the planning for Cousins was still right on track.

“Our plan all along has had Ben playing round one against Carlton –that hasn’t changed.

“The process from now until then will probably be determined on how he pulls up today, but we were extremely happy that he got through two quarters.

“He definitely won’t be playing round-one NAB Cup, but we’ve just got to see.

“Today’s the most he’s done from a footy point of view, and certainly the physicality of the game, and the intensity in these conditions, has probably been something he hasn’t been able to cope with the last couple of months.

“We need to see how he pulls up.

“But round-one NAB Cup is certainly out.”

Cousins' time at West Coast was peppered with back-related hamstring rest periods and scares, but Royal pointed out that the tear he copped in the 2007 qualifying final against Port Adelaide was his only major injury to the actual muscle.

“It’s quite interesting – people say he’s got a history, but I think he’s done it once. I don’t think you’d call that a history.

“So it’s so important for Ben to get the rehab into not only his [hamstring], but also his quads and calves and all that sort of stuff.

“I think when you get to the age of 30 … Ben’s a terrific trainer and a hard trainer, and we’ve just got to manage that process and he’s got to manage that well.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/default.aspx?newsid=71743

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #604 on: February 05, 2009, 06:22:44 PM »
all I can say...Thank you collingwood ,st kilda,and brisbane.
Unleash the tornado

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #605 on: February 05, 2009, 06:27:54 PM »
Royal was on SEN with Schwarz and Francis Leach earlier and he said Cousins was initially sheepish when he first arrived but he is really starting to have a positive influence on our younger players and they are copying him at training. For example Cuz always carries a footy with him even into the gym so in between sets he grabs the footy in spins it in his hands. Now Foley is doing the exact same thing with the footy 24/7.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #606 on: February 05, 2009, 10:52:53 PM »
Good news that he has settled in etc etc.
Role Model etc etc

but i just wish he wasn't in the news. Has a strong resemblence to the blues and Judd in 2007/2008 over Summer.

What happened? They lost. I want to hear and see less and focus on whats important and thats the Blues Round 1.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ox

« Reply #607 on: February 05, 2009, 10:56:19 PM »
lmao

no worries :thumbsup

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #608 on: February 05, 2009, 11:08:18 PM »
lmao

no worries :thumbsup

im glad u agree with me
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #609 on: February 06, 2009, 02:19:00 AM »
Good news that he has settled in etc etc.
Role Model etc etc

but i just wish he wasn't in the news. Has a strong resemblence to the blues and Judd in 2007/2008 over Summer.

What happened? They lost. I want to hear and see less and focus on whats important and thats the Blues Round 1.

Daniel, I have the same gut feeling that history might repeat itself.Fingers crossed
Unleash the tornado

Ox

« Reply #610 on: February 06, 2009, 03:14:26 PM »

The Sky is Falling,The Sky is Falling !!!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #611 on: February 10, 2009, 02:31:59 PM »
I wonder if Richmond will get any long-term boost in support in WA due to Cousins or it'll be just a bandwagon thing?

Katie Lombardo, who used to be a West Coast Eagles fan, is now a Tigers fan (Richmond) because of Ben Cousin's move Photographed at home in Wattleup. Published: Sunday Times, Perth.

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #612 on: February 11, 2009, 02:47:38 PM »
I wonder if Richmond will get any long-term boost in support in WA due to Cousins or it'll be just a bandwagon thing?

Katie Lombardo, who used to be a West Coast Eagles fan, is now a Tigers fan (Richmond) because of Ben Cousin's move Photographed at home in Wattleup. Published: Sunday Times, Perth.
I know this is NEVER NEVER going to happen but if Richmond played a "home game" at Subiaco Oval and Benny was playing- They would go close to filling the stadium.Even if we were playing Melbourne or Port.
Unleash the tornado

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #613 on: February 11, 2009, 03:54:19 PM »

I know this is NEVER NEVER going to happen but if Richmond played a "home game" at Subiaco Oval and Benny was playing- They would go close to filling the stadium.Even if we were playing Melbourne or Port.
[/quote]

not sure on that Matto  i like your enthusiasim but even on a w/end with no other footy on i doubt if the tiges would pull a crowd of 20 grand even v the pies or dons 
but hey would be good for us here in the west to get to go see another RFC victory with out catching a plane
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #614 on: February 11, 2009, 04:58:38 PM »

not sure on that Matto  i like your enthusiasim but even on a w/end with no other footy on i doubt if the tiges would pull a crowd of 20 grand even v the pies or dons 
but hey would be good for us here in the west to get to go see another RFC victory with out catching a plane
[/quote]20000 might be a good crowd at Subi this year .I just had a look at West Coasts draw and they will be lucky to win two of their first ten.I can hear the calls for Wooshas head now.
Unleash the tornado