Author Topic: Jimmy Barnes urges support for Cousins (Herald-Sun)  (Read 358 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jimmy Barnes urges support for Cousins (Herald-Sun)
« on: December 18, 2008, 07:00:44 AM »
Jimmy Barnes urges support
Darren Devlyn
December 18, 2008

ROCKER Jimmy Barnes, who will narrate the much talked-about documentary series being made about Ben Cousins, has urged the Australian public and media to support Cousins' AFL comeback.

Barnes, who waged a well-documented battle with alcohol and drug addiction, has spoken to Cousins several times and is over the moon about the former West Coast premiership player being recruited by Richmond.

"People really applauded the fact I did something about myself (addiction) but it's strange with Ben - it seems a lot of people begrudge him the fact he's trying to help himself," Barnes said.

"He screwed up. We all screw up at some point - just be prepared for it!

"I've spoken to Ben and he's a good, really intelligent guy.

"It seems he genuinely wants to do something about his life.

"Look at the training he's doing, the effort he's making, and it's not easy to deal with the press and public.

"He's really trying to keep himself on the straight and narrow to play in the national league again.

"It's a huge task and he's doing it. Richmond picking him up is fantastic because it's a shame he's not been playing and this is really going to help his self-esteem. Definitely part of his rehabilitation is playing football again because he does it so well."

Barnes says he's happy to speak openly about his battles with drugs if there's a chance it will help others.

"There is something about people who have been through the same thing as you helping you, as opposed to someone who hasn't been through it," Barnes said.

"People seem to listen more to someone who has made the same mistakes, and if I can help people, I do.

"Ben, I think, is just a guy who is high-profile and has made mistakes. But drug and alcohol abuse is not restricted to the high-profile, it's rife through the community.

"What people should be looking at is that Ben is trying hard to make himself get over it and to make himself a better example to other people."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24816160-2862,00.html

bushranger

Re: Jimmy Barnes urges support for Cousins (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 09:51:31 AM »
Now this is one fella that would know what he is talking about on this topic.
He has been there and done it all. Well done Jimmy. I knew you were a good bloke.