Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 298585 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Brandon Ellis [merged]
« Reply #975 on: August 08, 2014, 03:29:06 AM »
Brandon Ellis in form as Richmond chase unlikely finals berth, once a tagger he is now being tagged by opposition

Sam Edmund
Herald-Sun
August 08, 2014

RED-hot Richmond running man Brandon Ellis will be a marked man at the MCG tonight as the Tigers’ finals fairytale hangs by a thread.

Essendon has set its sights on the in-form midfielder, aware Ellis’s scintillating form has been critical to Richmond’s unlikely surge into September contention.

From Rounds 6-19 Ellis has amassed the second-most possessions in the AFL, behind only Sydney’s Josh Kennedy.

The Tigers are riding a five-game winning streak for the first time since 2000, but Ellis told the Herald Sun he and his teammates had shut-out talk of a miracle finals berth.

“Look, I know it’s going to sound cliche’, but we are honestly just taking it one week at a time. A lot of things have to go our way — teams have to win, teams have to lose, we have to win the next four. We drop one and we won’t make it,” Ellis said.

“We honestly haven’t spoken about it one bit at all. It’s all in the papers and you hear about it and all that. But once you get to the club and through the doors, we don’t talk about it.

“We know what we have to do.”

Ellis pointed to the mid-season returns of injured trio Ivan Maric, Alex Rance and Brett Deledio as the spark for reversing a campaign that was wallowing at 3-10.

“As ‘Dimma’ said, even when we were 3-10 there was no way he was just going to give guys games ... and he stuck to his guns and I think that’s really helped us,” he said.

“I think we’re just executing the small things really well. We’ve been doing it in training and it’s coming into games. The last five or six games have been awesome and how we’ve wanted to play all year. It was just unfortunate we couldn’t do it at the start.”

Ellis started the year tagging, but he will end it being tagged. After “learning a lot” from a shutdown job on Bryce Gibbs in Round 2, he started racking up the numbers. In recent weeks Brisbane (Rohan Bewick) and GWS (Rhys Palmer) have tried — and failed — to shut him down.

“I’ve just been working hard and using my tank to help me get through games,” Ellis said.

“I’m not cramping anymore, whereas last year in last quarters I’d cramp. Now that I’m finishing off games well that’s helping a lot.

“It also helps when you’ve got ‘Lids’ (Deledio) and ‘Cotchy’ (Trent Cotchin) and ‘Dusty’ (Dustin Martin) going through the midfield. It certainly makes your job a little bit easier and we’re all good mates and play for each other which helps as well.”

As for the taggers, Ellis is unfazed.

“I take it as a compliment. A lot of guys say ‘Oh, I’m in for a bad day’, but it just makes me want to work harder and really want to beat them because I hate getting beaten,” Ellis said.

“They’re probably just as fit as you, just as strong as you, but it’s all upstairs when it comes to that. You’ve got to fight that mental battle for longer than them and hopefully things go your way.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/brandon-ellis-in-form-as-richmond-chase-unlikely-finals-berth-once-a-tagger-he-is-now-being-tagged-by-opposition/story-fndv8t7m-1227017121799

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #976 on: August 08, 2014, 05:57:44 AM »
I can't believe they actually think the issue was missing 3 players.
I cannot believe they actually think they haven't been "gifting" games.

What is going on at Punt Rd?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #977 on: August 08, 2014, 06:59:00 AM »
“As ‘Dimma’ said, even when we were 3-10 there was no way he was just going to give guys games ... and he stuck to his guns and I think that’s really helped us,” he said.

:banghead :banghead

I suppose if they keep saying it then one day close to "when hell freezes over" we might just believe it

then again ...........................

What absolute CRAP Brandon.

Good to see we've been consistent with one aspect of season 2014 and that's the SPIN    :chuck :chuck

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #978 on: August 08, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »
Yeah it is unusual to get spin from a football club, wonder whats going on there

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #979 on: August 08, 2014, 09:59:39 AM »
Ellis has been a standout this season and is one of the biggest reasons why we have won the last 5. On early form we would have lost all of those games. The difference is that with a fit Lids, Cotch, Miles, Dusty and Titch (yet S.Edwards!) Ellis is now getting off the chain more often and has the confidence to spread because he knows we will more than likely win the inside battle.

The biggest out we had was Maric, hand down. He is a huge difference because of his relentless body work and run around the ground. He is a contested machine. While Hampson would stand a watch from the outside of stoppages Maric is in the action either winning the ball himself to feed it out, tackling, shepherding or clearing the ball himself. Without him we were a man down around every contest.

Similarly, with Lids injured or out of action, the opposition went to players like Cotchin and Eliis instead. His absence and form hurt not just because of his normal input but because of the knock on effect to the team. Rance is now irreplaceable. He is our best backman by a mile. With Chaplin working together we are tough to beat but if Chaplin is forced to play on tight on a player it doesn't work for him. Chaplin would actually make a good forward the way he reads the ball in the air but that's another discussion entirely.

I don't think these players absences were the only reason but they were a big reason in terms of contested ball and leadership on and off the ground. It again highlights our poor depth and emerging leaders. This is my biggest concern.

tony_montana

« Reply #980 on: August 08, 2014, 01:14:11 PM »
Ellis has been a standout this season and is one of the biggest reasons why we have won the last 5. On early form we would have lost all of those games. The difference is that with a fit Lids, Cotch, Miles, Dusty and Titch (yet S.Edwards!) Ellis is now getting off the chain more often and has the confidence to spread because he knows we will more than likely win the inside battle.

The biggest out we had was Maric, hand down. He is a huge difference because of his relentless body work and run around the ground. He is a contested machine. While Hampson would stand a watch from the outside of stoppages Maric is in the action either winning the ball himself to feed it out, tackling, shepherding or clearing the ball himself. Without him we were a man down around every contest.

Similarly, with Lids injured or out of action, the opposition went to players like Cotchin and Eliis instead. His absence and form hurt not just because of his normal input but because of the knock on effect to the team. Rance is now irreplaceable. He is our best backman by a mile. With Chaplin working together we are tough to beat but if Chaplin is forced to play on tight on a player it doesn't work for him. Chaplin would actually make a good forward the way he reads the ball in the air but that's another discussion entirely.

I don't think these players absences were the only reason but they were a big reason in terms of contested ball and leadership on and off the ground. It again highlights our poor depth and emerging leaders. This is my biggest concern.

The biggest reason we've won the last 5 is bc of our draw - nothing else.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #981 on: August 08, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »
Blind freddy can see we ARE playing better, whether you want to admit it or not. Good enough to beat the good teams? We'll see.

tony_montana

« Reply #982 on: August 08, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »
Blind freddy can see we ARE playing better, whether you want to admit it or not. Good enough to beat the good teams? We'll see.

How well you play is also dependant on how good/bad the opposition is at allowing you to play well.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #983 on: August 08, 2014, 03:28:28 PM »

I reckon that we are playing a better style of football and that coupled with the opposition (GWS, Lions and St Kilda in particluar) have contributed to our wins

However, and this is the key for me - where the hell was it in rounds 1-13? Why has it taken to now for this to happen?

That's my issue, hence why the wins mean very little and don't and shouldn't hide the problems we clearly have. List depth, the lack of mental strength with things aren't going well etc

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #984 on: August 09, 2014, 12:12:26 AM »
Have no issue in saying he was sensational last night

Best game I've seen him play.

Well done Brnadon Ellis  :clapping :clapping

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #985 on: August 09, 2014, 01:35:22 AM »
Was everywhere tonight. Awesome play.

Rampstar

« Reply #986 on: August 09, 2014, 01:36:49 AM »
Ive been critical of the kid but he was excellent last night, got lots of the footy, used it well and went hard at the contest, good on him  :thumbsup

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #987 on: August 09, 2014, 07:16:31 AM »
Have no issue in saying he was sensational last night

Best game I've seen him play.

Well done Brnadon Ellis  :clapping :clapping

:cheers

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #988 on: August 09, 2014, 07:38:59 AM »
Yes great game but I still think he lets himself down with disposal and he does put other players under a lot of pressure....anyway, he did play well!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #989 on: August 09, 2014, 07:47:36 AM »
Brandon Ellis is currently our best player
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”