Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 298524 times)

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Brandon Ellis [merged]
« Reply #1260 on: March 16, 2016, 10:12:49 AM »
On his way to becoming an A grade whipping boy.
Already there, Willy.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #1261 on: March 16, 2016, 10:29:10 AM »
Not a lot of love for Brandon at times ...

Compared to his peers - he has done quite well.

Played the second most number of games from the class of 2011

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2011&t=N&s=P

Should we of taken someone else at 15 ?   Who ?

Said it before, will say it again

It's not just about quantity it's about quality

Brandon may get plenty of the ball but it's what he does with them is the issue....

Where as hunt bachelor Morris grigg types kick beautifully
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1262 on: March 16, 2016, 04:29:02 PM »
Not a lot of love for Brandon at times ...

Compared to his peers - he has done quite well.

Played the second most number of games from the class of 2011

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2011&t=N&s=P

Should we of taken someone else at 15 ?   Who ?

Said it before, will say it again

It's not just about quantity it's about quality

Brandon may get plenty of the ball but it's what he does with them is the issue....

This.

Called it from day one too, his kicking is suspect and hasn't improved.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1263 on: March 16, 2016, 06:05:18 PM »
Has a habit of slinging the ball on the boot and hoping for the best rather than having a creative footy brain. Yes plenty of possesions but those that actually hurt opposition teams you could count on one hand per game. He needs to start breaking lines and delivering the ball into our forward line with more precision. Cant believe our coaches cant see this weakness in his game or if they do and have been working on it then maybe he is just incapable of lifting to another level.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1264 on: March 16, 2016, 06:09:43 PM »
No apparently Supercoach 7 of 9 will be too busy trying to turn him an inside player this year...

....and for his next trick after that, he'll be teaching cats to swim.....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #1265 on: March 16, 2016, 08:22:52 PM »
Has a habit of slinging the ball on the boot and hoping for the best rather than having a creative footy brain. Yes plenty of possesions but those that actually hurt opposition teams you could count on one hand per game. He needs to start breaking lines and delivering the ball into our forward line with more precision. Cant believe our coaches cant see this weakness in his game or if they do and have been working on it then maybe he is just incapable of lifting to another level.
See, that's just rubbish. His disp eff % is 73%. Dusty's is 67% (for comparison). He can actually dispose of it quite well, he doesn't butcher it nearly as frequently as some here would have you think. IMO his decision making is far more questionable.

Some things to keep in mind when judging Brandon. He's 22! He's played (well) under 100 games (69 infact). He still averages 7 contested possessions per game, which could be better but certainly isn't the cherry picking outside runner that again, people would have us believe he is. I'm still of the opinion he will be a very important cog in this team in years to come. I would like to see him, as you said, break more lines, take the game on, especially later on in games when elite fitness and running starts to become a trump card.

Stats found on http://www.afl.com.au/stats

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #1266 on: March 16, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »
See, that's just rubbish. His disp eff % is 73%. Dusty's is 67% (for comparison). He can actually dispose of it quite well, he doesn't butcher it nearly as frequently as some here would have you think. IMO his decision making is far more questionable.

Some things to keep in mind when judging Brandon. He's 22! He's played (well) under 100 games (69 infact). He still averages 7 contested possessions per game, which could be better but certainly isn't the cherry picking outside runner that again, people would have us believe he is. I'm still of the opinion he will be a very important cog in this team in years to come. I would like to see him, as you said, break more lines, take the game on, especially later on in games when elite fitness and running starts to become a trump card.

well said Dougy

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #1267 on: March 16, 2016, 08:28:06 PM »

No. The page you linked has nothing to do with Brandon Ellis.

No. His disposal efficiency is 73% which includes handball.  His kicking efficiency is closer to 50%.

No. Dusty gets the ball under greater duress and has more contested possessions of late 2015 and since, hence his lesser disposal efficiency.  Ellis gets cheaper uncontested ball. .

No. Dusty kicks longer. Margin for error is greater. Ellis dinky kicks 20m across half back as his bread and butter.

Thanks for coming.  I accept your apology
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1268 on: March 16, 2016, 08:47:42 PM »

No. The page you linked has nothing to do with Brandon Ellis.

No. His disposal efficiency is 73% which includes handball.  His kicking efficiency is closer to 50%.

No. Dusty gets the ball under greater duress and has more contested possessions of late 2015 and since, hence his lesser disposal efficiency.  Ellis gets cheaper uncontested ball. .

No. Dusty kicks longer. Margin for error is greater. Ellis dinky kicks 20m across half back as his bread and butter.

Thanks for coming.  I accept your apology
Intersested to find out where you got the figure for kicking efficiency Dooks. Can you give us a link please?
The stats certainly show that Ellis has 2.9 clangers per game while Martin has 4.0.
I was actually surprised with those numbers.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1269 on: March 16, 2016, 08:53:54 PM »
Some could argue that more 'cheaper uncontested possessions' for Ellis than Dusty are indicative of his running capacity or Dusty's perceived lack of?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1270 on: March 16, 2016, 09:03:48 PM »
Yes, let's now all debate who's the better, more damaging player out of Martin & Ellis....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #1271 on: March 16, 2016, 09:07:08 PM »
Ellis contested possession to non contested possession rate is approx 1:3

Martin is 1:2

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brandon_Ellis.html

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/D/Dustin_Martin.html

go figure
"Sliding doors moment.

Online Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1272 on: March 16, 2016, 09:17:02 PM »

well said Dougy
I am not really surprised by his disposal efficiency stat because on most occasions he is kicking across minimum distance. Apart from those short kicks his long kicks either put a player under pressure or they end up as a turnover. Stats dont necessarily tell the story in this area when you analyse Ellis's game and I am purely going on what I have seen on gameday, I am certainly not questioning his endeavour and his endurance.

As a hypothetical If I was an opposition coach I wouldnt tag him because in my mind if he gets 30 possesions most of those will be short sideways kicks that are not penetrating and therefore just dont hurt sides. If a Dangerfield or a Hodge get the same amount of possesions then on most occasions they win the game. All I am saying is I would prefer he gets say 20 possesions a game but has more score assists and is more direct with his kicking generally.

I appreciate he is only 22 so he is still young enough to improve this area of his game if he is good enough, maybe we will see a more damaging player this season.

Online Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1273 on: March 16, 2016, 09:20:09 PM »
Yes, let's now all debate who's the better, more damaging player out of Martin & Ellis....
It's not about debating it but being able to see that they are two different types of players and how they gather their possessions is indicative of this.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #1274 on: March 16, 2016, 09:33:36 PM »
It's not about debating it but being able to see that they are two different types of players and how they gather their possessions is indicative of this.

No. Dougy claimed Lozzas statement about ineffective disposal was 'rubbish' and claimed it was better than Martins.

This has been disproven, with context.

"Sliding doors moment.