Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 298533 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Brandon Ellis to leave as a free agent to the Gold Coast [merged]
« Reply #2100 on: October 02, 2019, 04:38:24 PM »
The Tigers will not receive a first-round compensation pick for Ellis, but could get a second-round pick or even an end-of-first round selection soon after that first pick.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/trade-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-wednesday-october-2-2019/live-coverage/66eb52f4a8647848ac93f90ce6a7a05f
Correct me if I'm wrong but as our first pick is the last pick of the first round, wouldn't it not make any difference if it is 1st round or end of first round?

(As opposed to if we finished last and had the first pick, where there would be a significant difference between first round and end of first round)
There's varying degrees for first round compo. It can be at the start of the draft, mid-range (didn't Geelong get a mid-range compo pick for Ablett?) or it can be straight after your actual first pick.

The only difference for us between a straight first rounder right after our first pick compared to an end of first rounder is if another club is also awarded an end of first round pick. Theirs would then be before our end of first rounder if that makes sense.

If we got a straight first rounder:
Richmond  19
Richmond  20 (compo)
Then comes any end of first rounders to other clubs.
Followed by second round.

If we got an end of first rounder:
Richmond 19
Then comes any end of first rounders to other clubs.
Our end of first round pick compo follows.
Followed by second round.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #2101 on: October 02, 2019, 04:41:59 PM »
Ah yes, I forgot to factor in EoFR compensation to other clubs.

Thanks MT  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2102 on: October 03, 2019, 12:52:23 AM »

The article in the Age last week about why Ellis is happy to go to the Suns.

Why the grand final will be Brandon Ellis' last game as a Tiger

Michael Gleeson
The Age
September 28, 2019

Brandon Ellis is the face of the price, and joy, of success.

Saturday will be the premiership Tiger’s last game as a Richmond player. He will join Gold Coast as a free agent within weeks.

The reason he will do so is as simple as it is complex. In simple terms, Ellis will go because he will receive more money on a long-term deal.

Ellis is in the top 10 best-paid players at Richmond this year earning about $550,000 and Richmond, try as they might, cannot afford, nor justify, paying him that much next year given the stresses of the salary cap and other players they need to play.

Gold Coast will next year and for the next five years keep paying him the salary he has been earning this year at Richmond. The reason they can afford to do so is because they have salary-cap room but also because he is more valuable to the Suns next year than he will be to Richmond.

For the Suns he brings so much more than outside pace. He also delivers experience and talent, he is an elite trainer and a person of good character who, importantly, wants to be there.

If he stayed at Richmond his pay could have been cut and he would not have had the security of a five-year deal.

Richmond also have to continue to evolve their list and so need to start bringing on players such as  Marlion Pickett, Patrick Naish, Sydney Stack and Riley Collier-Dawkins, which means something has to give.

The Suns' problem is not older players getting in the way of emerging talent, it is not having enough good older players (Ellis is only 26 but all things are relative) to help bring on the emerging talent.

The conversations between his manager Marty Pask and Richmond’s list manager Blair Hartley and the Suns’ Craig Cameron have been understanding because both Cameron – who used to be at Richmond – and Hartley know Ellis’ story, why he is a loved figure and why the move makes sense.

Carlton had been interested, and given he grew up in North Carlton there was a synergy there, but the Blues' interest waned when they chased hard for Stephen Coniglio. They resumed their chase for Ellis once Coniglio re-signed but Ellis felt jilted by then.

In the end one of the most decisive points about the Ellis departure is that the thing that made Richmond fall in love with him is the same thing that will make him leave.

The Tigers love his earthiness, his passion and his honesty as much as his pace and run. They love his openness and his family commitment. But they can’t give him what he needs now and what has driven him since he was 16. Ellis wants to succeed as a footballer so he can care for his family.

He wants a good long-term contract so he can help give his family the financial independence and stability they never had when he was growing up.

The story of how Ellis came to be a Tiger, the story that he delivered in front of the players in the 2017 pre-season, was a moment of unvarnished honesty that provided one of the foundations on which this new tight Richmond group was built.

This group reformed itself around a modern coaching ethos of care, of vulnerability and of story telling. It is an approach that reasons that revealing something of yourself only makes you and the group stronger.

It asks a group of ostensibly alpha males to act in an un-alpha way and in so doing become something more rounded and better than they were.

Ellis, as described in Konrad Marshall’s book Yellow and Black, stood in front of the Richmond players at a 2017 pre-season camp on the Sunshine Coast and spoke of the day his dad was diagnosed with throat cancer. Dale Ellis had previously survived kidney cancer but a tumour had been found in his throat.

Brandon Ellis was in year 10 at the time. He immediately quit playing footy and stopped going to school so he could just be around his dad. Football was irrelevant.

The family lived in a small first-floor housing commission flat in North Carlton. His dad had worked at a chocolate factory before his illness and his mum cared for the family of five. They had always struggled financially.

Dale ordered Brandon back to footy, telling him not to waste his talent and to make it as a player for him. Brandon returned to the game with a redoubled determination. By year’s end he made not only the Vic Metro side but the All-Australian team. Richmond chose him in the first round.

“When I got drafted, I promised them [my parents] as soon as I got some money I would start looking after them,” Ellis said in the address which was recorded and re-told in Yellow and Black.

“I got my family out of the flats a few years ago. I got them a rental property in Moonee Ponds near me, and pay half their rent. It’s the first time my mum and dad and brother and sister have had a backyard in their life. They can’t get the smile off their faces.”

Six month after that first diagnosis and after high-dose aggressive chemotherapy, the lump in Dale’s throat was gone. He survived the cancer – again – against doctors’ expectations.

“They said it was a miracle. He’s taught me to never give up, always work my arse off. Nothing has ever motivated me more. I play AFL for my dad.”

So when the question is asked why Brandon Ellis would leave Richmond and go to the Suns? That is why.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why-the-grand-final-will-be-brandon-ellis-last-game-as-a-tiger-20190927-p52vhb.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
What Tigers might receive for departing Brandon Ellis (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2103 on: October 03, 2019, 01:09:52 AM »
What Tigers might receive for departing Ellis

Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
October 3, 2019

Richmond will know as soon as Friday afternoon whether they can reap an end-of-first-round trade bonanza from departing free agent Brandon Ellis.

The 26-year-old dual Richmond premiership player will depart for the Gold Coast on a five-year deal worth $3 million.

On Wednesday Richmond announced that Ellis would explore his free agency rights, with the Tigers certain to decline to match the Suns’ deal.

That deal will be lodged at the start of free agency as soon as Friday morning, with the league to reveal the free agency compensation available to the Tigers soon after they allow him passage to the Suns.

The scope of the $3 million deal, revealed by the Herald Sun, is not enough for a first-round compensation selection given it does not hit $750,000 a season.

But given Richmond are the premiers and have the No.18 draft pick, an end-of-first-round selection is effectively the same pick — No. 19.

Two years ago Geelong secured an end-of-first-round pick for Steven Motlop on a four-year deal of just over $2 million.

Ellis finished outside the top 11 in Richmond’s best-and-fairest on Tuesday night but those results don’t factor into any compensation.

Ellis is determined to shore up his financial future and continue supporting his family after growing up in a housing commission flat in North Carlton.

Richmond list manager Blair Hartley thanked Ellis after 176 games as the No. 15 selection in the 2011 national draft.

“As always, Brandon has put the team first, and he is now a dual premiership player for Richmond,” he said.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/tigers-will-receive-free-agency-compensation-for-gold-coastbound-brandon-ellis/news-story/a9b0863c423f67373a47461ace61debb

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2104 on: October 03, 2019, 11:50:52 AM »
Tigers could enter 2019 draft with two top 20 picks

By SEN
3 Oct 2019

Richmond look set to receive a first-round compensation pick for the departing Brandon Ellis according to Mitch Cleary.

The dual premiership Tiger yesterday announced his intention to leave the premiers for the Gold Coast Suns after being tabled an offer as a free agent.

Cleary believes the Tigers are likely to be rewarded a similar pick to that of what Geelong received for Steven Motlop and what Brisbane received for Tom Rockliff.

“In line with what Steven Motlop and Tom Rockliff both went on when they joined the Power, their respective clubs got end of first round picks,” Cleary said on Telstra AFL Trade Radio.

“In line with those, Brandon Ellis should be worth a first-round pick.

“If you can believe this, Richmond could enter the draft with two top 20 picks fresh off another flag. It’s hard to believe.”

Ellis' manager Marty Pask said the level of compensation for Richmond would depend on what the Tigers bring in during the free agency period after Ellis departs.

"If a player like Brandon would walk out and go as a free agent and they (Richmond) don't do anything in that free agnecy period and acquire someone else then it's definitely going to be something around the second-round, it could even sneak into the first-round," Pask said on SEN Breakfast this morning.

Ellis was drafted with Pick 15 in the 2011 AFL Draft and has played 176 games for the Tigers.

It is expected the Suns will officially make their offer when the free agency period commences tomorrow.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/10/02/tigers-could-enter-2019-draft-with-two-top-20-picks/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2105 on: October 03, 2019, 11:54:35 AM »
Balme said losing the running defender is simply part of the new realities of list management.

“We want him to stay, he wants to stay, he loves being here. The system is set up so other clubs might be able to find players with better circumstances, like he’s got,” he said.

“So I think they have offered him something pretty significant so he’s got to consider that because in his life there’s more important things than just playing for the Tigers, he needs to set himself up and we will only support that.

“It’s not that we want him to go and not that we’re pushing him out, but if that opportunity comes and he wants to do it, we’ll maturely look at that.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/10/02/balme-anticipating-to-lose-butler-and-ellis-as-edwards-recommits/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2106 on: October 03, 2019, 12:55:07 PM »
Barrett sooking on Trade Radio about us getting an end of first round compo pick for Ellis  ::).

----------------------------------------------------

Damian Barrett: Compensation picks are a rort of the free agency system in its purest form. A pure free agency system does not compensate for the club that loses the free agent.

Mitch Cleary: Brandon Ellis leaving has to add up to an end of first round compensation pick.

"If you can believe this, Richmond could enter the draft with two top-20 picks fresh off another flag."

Damian Barrett: There is no way Richmond should be given a first round pick for Brandon Ellis. This is the problem with this system.

Damian Barrett: The formula right now that needs to be applied is - Richmond has been dominant for three seasons. To lose Brandon Ellis and get a first round pick... it's everything that is wrong with free agency.

https://twitter.com/traderadio

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2107 on: October 03, 2019, 01:01:47 PM »
Barrett sooking on Trade Radio about us getting an end of first round compo pick for Ellis  ::).

Damian Barrett: Compensation picks are a rort of the free agency system in its purest form. A pure free agency system does not compensate for the club that loses the free agent.

Mitch Cleary: Brandon Ellis leaving has to add up to an end of first round compensation pick.

"If you can believe this, Richmond could enter the draft with two top-20 picks fresh off another flag."

Damian Barrett: There is no way Richmond should be given a first round pick for Brandon Ellis. This is the problem with this system.

Damian Barrett: The formula right now that needs to be applied is - Richmond has been dominant for three seasons. To lose Brandon Ellis and get a first round pick... it's everything that is wrong with free agency.

I agree. Scrap compo.

But plan it for 2-3 years time so clubs have a chance to make changes in anticipation of this.

What's the bet they pull the rug so we get nothing for Brando...

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2108 on: October 03, 2019, 02:37:08 PM »

I agree. Scrap compo.

But plan it for 2-3 years time so clubs have a chance to make changes in anticipation of this.

Scraping it disadvantages the bottom sides like the Suns. Imagine them losing Lynch and there wasn't any compo

If the AFL was to amend the compensation rules then it should be something like the top 4 cannot get the compo

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2109 on: October 03, 2019, 03:32:54 PM »

I agree. Scrap compo.

Scraping it disadvantages the bottom sides like the Suns. Imagine them losing Lynch and there wasn't any compo

If the AFL was to amend the compensation rules then it should be something like the top 4 cannot get the compo

Free agency is about players going where they want for the conditions they want.

Gaining + losing compensation restricts any club's ability to pursue free agents. For example if we get pick 20 for Ellis and bring in a FA then we will likely lose or at least downgrade that pick 20, so effectively we have to let him walk and take the pick.

It's terrible for the weaker clubs but the compensation doesn't quite mitigate that and I don't like the undisclosed formula the AFL allegedly has.

I think a great equalisation idea would be to allow weaker teams a higher TPP limit for the next year, which tapers off progressively.
For example if you finish 18th you could have an additional $1million TPP the following year, which tapers down the higher you finish up the ladder, maybe $800k for 17th, $600k for 16th, $400k for 15th or whatever.

This would allow the weaker clubs to attract established players with $$$ while they rebuild via the draft etc.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2110 on: October 03, 2019, 06:49:05 PM »
Why the AFL’s free agency compensation system is a “rort”: Damian Barrett

By SEN
3 Oct 2019

Telstra AFL Trade Radio’s Damian Barrett has described the AFL’s free agency compensation system as a “rort”.

It comes as Richmond is tipped to receive a first-round compensation draft pick for losing dual premiership player Brandon Ellis, who decided to exercise his free agency rights.

“There is no way Richmond should be given a first-round pick for losing Brandon Ellis, and this my point, this is the problem with this system,” Barrett told Telstra AFL Trade Radio.

“There will be outrage in the AFL world if the Richmond Football Club – the two out of three years premiership-winning Richmond Football Club – is to get a first-round compensation draft pick for the loss of a player who they could not commit to a regular senior game for next season.

“That will become the biggest rort in the system if Brandon Ellis is to present Richmond Football Club with an end of first-round draft pick as part of this compensation.”

Barrett expanded on his frustration with the current compensation process when clubs lose free agents.

“From the very outset of the AFL introducing free agency to the operations, I had an issue with compensation being given to the club which lost the free agent,” he said.

“Initially because it was slowing up the entire trade process. They’ve now worked out a mechanism in which it can be dealt with separately. It still doesn’t ultimately change my view on compensation being a rort of the free agency system in its purist form.

“A pure free agency system does not compensate for the club that loses the free agent.

“This is the problem with free agency, that Richmond Football Club can bring in a a free agent Tom Lynch last year and not spent a cent to get him and win a premiership on the back of it.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/10/03/why-the-afls-free-agency-compensation-system-is-a-rort-barrett/

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2111 on: October 03, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »
So going off what some are saying, if you win a premiership it’s ok to loose your best FA players for nothing?

Finally we have a decent list after nearly 40 years and now we are just suppose to be disadvantaged because we won a premiership?? or two 🎉🎉

I dislike Bellis and I would basically give him away for nothing but the facts are he was a first round selection, played 170 odd games, won 2 premierships, and was in our top 10 highest paid players- we deserve what we deserve numbers wise and that’s an end of first round selection at a minimum if you compare it to the Motlop compo.

The rules shouldn’t  change regardless of where you finish on the ladder.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 08:38:33 PM by big tone »

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2112 on: October 03, 2019, 08:19:37 PM »
So majority of the article was him saying it’s ridiculous that a club gets compo if they lose someone to free agency. But he finishes off saying it was wrong that we got Tom lynch as a free agent and not have to give up anything  :huh  :huh

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2113 on: October 03, 2019, 09:27:24 PM »
Damian Bitch t@s Barrett's tears taste good.
Lots of people name their swords......

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2114 on: October 03, 2019, 10:17:43 PM »
He has never liked Richmond, he forgot to mention it has allowed Gold Coast to improve their list at the expense of his club, who put an offer to Ellis