Author Topic: Josh Caddy has retired [merged]  (Read 131098 times)

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Josh Caddy [merged]
« Reply #450 on: July 22, 2019, 08:32:30 PM »
is caddy normally a high tackling player? He doesn’t seem like a natural defender to me. Also not fast enough to rebound really

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #451 on: August 04, 2019, 02:23:21 AM »
Tigers will 'continue to explore' using Caddy in new role

AFL.com.au
Ben Collins
Aug 4, 2019

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick likes what he sees in Josh Caddy as a defensive wingman and has vowed to give him an extended run in the new role.

Caddy was a premiership forward in 2017 and took his game to new heights last year by kicking 46 goals in 22 games, but a leg injury and a stint in the VFL caused a rethink among the Tigers' brains trust, who recast him as a midfielder.

The 26-year-old returned to the Richmond line-up against Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday night and although he didn't win a lot of the ball, he performed the kind of selfless role Hardwick demanded from him as the Tigers triumphed by 33 points.

Caddy had 13 possessions (four contested) – five kicks and eight handballs – took four marks, laid two tackles, had a centre clearance and snapped a typically opportunistic goal.

Hardwick was impressed.

"He got better as the game went on," the Tigers coach told reporters post-match.

"He was probably reflective of the side in the first half, but in the second half he started to show us what he could do in that position.

"He uses the ball really well, he wins the ball really well, he's a great size for that wing/back role.

"It's something that we'll continue to explore."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-03/tigers-will-continue-to-explore-using-caddy-in-new-role

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #452 on: September 09, 2019, 04:32:02 AM »
Caddy was interviewed on Ch 7 news last night. He spoke about Dimma asking him to play wing and needing to go back to the VFL to learn to do it.

Watch here [Go to 0:50 min mark] https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1170620406471938048

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #453 on: September 09, 2019, 07:15:56 AM »
Caddy after quarter time played very well.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #454 on: September 09, 2019, 09:46:34 AM »
Caddy has been good.

Been dealing with injury and new role this season. Was fantastic to see him have that moment on the weekend.
Unleash the tornado

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #455 on: September 09, 2019, 10:39:59 AM »
I thought he was great, especially when he grabbed the ball and just swatted those pussies off him before going I50.

Exceptional running (strolling) goal from outside 50 also. Made it look easy!

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #456 on: September 09, 2019, 02:51:14 PM »
Built for finals. I remember remarking at how much he lifted in the 2017 series. Hopefully more of the same from here on.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #457 on: September 09, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »
Looks to have trimmed down also.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #458 on: September 10, 2019, 09:13:02 PM »
His best game this year IMO.

Seems to have some confidence back.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #459 on: September 11, 2019, 11:14:08 AM »
For me he has Jack ross role or spot.
Experienced slow big body like Caddy should be playing more inside and not keeping a very good kid out of the team.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #460 on: September 13, 2019, 04:24:16 PM »
Josh Caddy is making impressive progress in his new, on-field role as a wingman within Richmond’s line-up.

In the five games since returning to senior level with Richmond, Caddy is averaging 15.1 disposals, three inside-50s, four intercepts, one goal and 3.9 score involvements per match.

In the Qualifying Final, Caddy ... had 14 disposals, with eight contested possessions, five inside-50s, seven score involvements, 504 metres gained and kicked two valuable goals.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-09-12/caddy-peaking-at-right-time

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #461 on: September 13, 2019, 06:29:10 PM »
Josh Caddy is making impressive progress in his new, on-field role as a wingman within Richmond’s line-up.

In the five games since returning to senior level with Richmond, Caddy is averaging 15.1 disposals, three inside-50s, four intercepts, one goal and 3.9 score involvements per match.

In the Qualifying Final, Caddy ... had 14 disposals, with eight contested possessions, five inside-50s, seven score involvements, 504 metres gained and kicked two valuable goals.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-09-12/caddy-peaking-at-right-time
Jack ross who has just 7 games to his name is averaging
17.2 disposals, 3.1 tackles, 3.4 clearances, 6.8 c/p, and 3.2 i/50 and that despite him only getting 22% game time in one game and just 55% game time in another.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #462 on: September 13, 2019, 06:51:08 PM »
I love jack Ross as much as everyone else on this forum. He will no doubt carry us far in the future. But he was clearly underdone since coming back from injury. I don’t think he plays next week as he struggled against west coast in round 22

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Josh Caddy wings it, with great success (Australian)
« Reply #463 on: September 19, 2019, 12:24:16 PM »
Josh wings it, with great success

Courtney Walsh
The Australian
19 September 2019

As a circuit breaker, an infected wound that led to a stint in hospital sounds drastic, but the injury proved the pivotal moment in Tiger Josh Caddy’s season.

Should Richmond claim the premiership over the next fortnight, the nasty scar just below his right knee will serve as a permanent tattoo to another masterful move by coach Damien Hardwick.

A premiership player in his first season at Richmond in 2017, the versatile Caddy enjoyed a stellar season in attack last year but was finding the going tougher in 2019 — until he was switched to the wing last month.

The arrival of Tom Lynch, the return of Jack Riewoldt after injury and the wildcard excellence of Dustin Martin effectively squeezed Caddy out of attack.

The 26-year-old had been serviceable when filling a role for Riewoldt as he battled a knee problem but the goals were not flowing with the same frequency as in 2018 — when he booted 46 goals and was an All Australian nominee — until an accident against St Kilda in Round 15.

“Cutting my leg open against the Saints maybe happened for a reason. It was a pretty decent cut and it became infected and I ended up in hospital,” Caddy told The Australian.

“I missed the next game against the Gold Coast and we won by 100 points so it was not that easy to get back into the team. The forward line was functioning really well, so that was when Dimma (Hardwick) came to me.

“He said ‘I want you in the team but I don’t know if I see you in the forward line going forward. We are going to play you up on the wing’. I said ‘OK’.”

Caddy, who was an inaugural Sun before spending four seasons at Geelong, admitted feeling somewhat surprised.

For starters, he had never played on the wing at any level and, even for an established footballer such as himself, the transition required an education.

This led to a stint back in the reserves after his recovery from the leg wound, with Caddy learning the tricks of his new trade under Craig McRae, the former triple-premiership player with Brisbane who has led the Tigers into a VFL grand final on Sunday.

“When you know your team is a chance to succeed, you just want to play. So I went back and played on the wing for a couple of weeks in the reserves and that was really enjoyable,” he said.

“No player wants to play in the VFL. You want to play AFL. But I had an enjoyable couple of weeks.”

Putting football and success into perspective is something that may come easier to Caddy, who was named captain of the under-18 All Australian team by virtue of his off-field interests.

The Tiger and his teammate Ryan Garthwaite are regular visitors to the Royal Children’s Hospital through the work they do with cancer foundation Challenge.

“Although it can be a little bit confronting sometimes, it puts everything into perspective when things aren’t going so well, or even when things are going well, you realise just how insignificant it is, football,” he said.

“At the same time there’s the enjoyment they get seeing you, and their families as well, because they ride all the bumps. You feel like you can at least give them something to smile about.”

His teammate and close friend Dion Prestia praised Caddy for the way he has adopted his new role since returning to senior football in round 20. “He has probably played the most finals of anyone here but he is another who has been challenged during the year,” Prestia said.

“Last year he had such an amazing year playing forward and he was able to adapt and change his role to the wing. It shows the type of person he is, to (be able to) take a new challenge on.”

Caddy is covering more ground than ever on the wing as he prepares for a preliminary final against Geelong on Friday.

He is also pulling up in better shape due to the differences in running patterns between the wing and forward line: “I am loving it. I couldn’t be happier.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/josh-wings-it-with-great-success/news-story/c1547e6e9adc2354897e1f9d0105fbbb

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #464 on: September 21, 2019, 05:46:03 AM »
Josh Caddy – 5

Didn't have a huge impact playing on a wing. Caddy's five intercept possessions were important, but he also turned the ball over four times from his 13 disposals.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-20/every-tiger-rated-from-the-preliminary-final