Author Topic: A-League thread  (Read 244754 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: A-League thread
« Reply #330 on: November 30, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »
As someone who only takes a passing interest in soccer, one thing i notice is Archie Thompson name crops up a lot as a goal scorer. He is obviously a finisher, perhaps one of the best in the A league? Why doesn't he get more games with the national side. Some of the socceroo games i have seen they created plenty of opportunities but just couldn't convert. I would have thought someone with his finishing ability is what they need?

Massive leap in standard between here and Europe where most of our internationals play. I guess it is like Andrew Gaze struggling in the NBA. Thompson in the A-League is (relatively speaking) very fast and very skillful. In any decent European league he is not very skillful and just quick. If we took him to the world cup he would be totally ineffective. One of our other strikers, Josh Kennedy is a hack, but he is a tall hack and physically strong so at least he offers something to challenge defenders.
cheers for that jake
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #331 on: November 30, 2009, 07:51:05 PM »
Archie can play lazy/disinterested at times defensively if things aren't going his way. Being small he needs the ball played at his feet so he can use his speed to turn quickly into space behind the opposition's defence. At international level it's too easy for the best defenders who are fairly quick themselves and of course taller to close him down.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #332 on: December 01, 2009, 11:24:26 PM »
Sports Tonight says the Melbourne Heart team are making a big play for Mark Viduka.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #333 on: December 05, 2009, 04:51:31 PM »
A good result for the Victory last night coming away with a 1-1 draw after playing with 10-men for most of the game. It should have been Wellington down to 10 and a goal down after Leijer copped a fist to the jaw from behind in the box yet none of the linesmen or ref saw it  ::).

Ramps

« Reply #334 on: December 06, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
Archie Thompson is a reflection of why I dont take the A League seriously. In the NSL he was an average player. The standard of the A League is lower and thats why he scores. The National Coach doesnt rate him because he doesnt rate the A League standard which is crap.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #335 on: December 06, 2009, 10:43:11 PM »
Archie Thompson is a reflection of why I dont take the A League seriously. In the NSL he was an average player. The standard of the A League is lower and thats why he scores. The National Coach doesnt rate him because he doesnt rate the A League standard which is crap.
46 goals in 111 NSL games as a 18-22 year old. Scored pretty consistently as a young NSL player. Chose then to play in Belgium rather than the poor old NSL.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #336 on: December 12, 2009, 10:26:39 PM »
Melbourne stays 3 points clear at the top of the A-league

Central Coast   0
Melb. Victory    3 ............ Hernandez '57, Kemp '71, Mariners own goal '77

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #337 on: December 13, 2009, 12:00:54 AM »
Melbourne stays 3 points clear at the top of the A-league

Central Coast   0
Melb. Victory    3 ............ Hernandez '57, Kemp '71, Mariners own goal '77
A 7 goal turnaround from just 5 weeks ago  :o.

The top two teams Melbourne and Sydney meet next Saturday night at Etihad.

Ramps

« Reply #338 on: December 15, 2009, 09:33:38 PM »
Crowds leaving in droves. Average less than 5000 last week.

New Football .... not as we know it  ;D

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #339 on: December 15, 2009, 10:32:15 PM »
Crowds leaving in droves. Average less than 5000 last week.

New Football .... not as we know it  ;D
No games in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide or Perth last weekend and still the lowest average is twice that of the average NSL crowds. In it's final season the NSL averaged 2,000. Parramatta vs South Melbourne attracted only 1,800 fans lol. The NSL died a slow and painful death. Keep fishing Ramps  ;D.

Top 2 Melbourne playing Sydney this week and it's Muscat's 500th game. Only the second Aussie to reach 500. Should be 30,000 at Etihad on Saturday night.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #340 on: December 20, 2009, 05:37:53 AM »
Nil all draw between Melbourne and Sydney so the Victory remain 3 points clear at the top.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #341 on: December 20, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
I went last night. The Victory dominated and had something like 20 shots on goal to 4 but couldn't put the ball in the net  :-\.

Ramps

« Reply #342 on: December 20, 2009, 07:14:50 PM »
I went last night. The Victory dominated and had something like 20 shots on goal to 4 but couldn't put the ball in the net  :-\.

Atleast It wasnt a nil all draw on the fights, rioting, flare, and smashed windows front.

Another shameful night for the Victory hooligans

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #343 on: December 20, 2009, 07:39:43 PM »

Atleast It wasnt a nil all draw on the fights, rioting, flare, and smashed windows front.

South Melbourne never had any trouble eh. That's why there is a home fan only rule whenever South play Preston in the VPL.

I'm not defending the idiots Ramps but it's odd that there's never any fan trouble when any of the other 8 visiting club fans come down to Melbourne. Only when Sydney plays. The same thing happens at Collingwood games in the AFL. There was no trouble at the ground. One flare was let off in the BWB in the second half.

Ramps

« Reply #344 on: December 20, 2009, 08:57:03 PM »

South Melbourne never had any trouble eh. That's why there is a home fan only rule whenever South play Preston in the VPL.

I'm not defending the idiots Ramps but it's odd that there's never any fan trouble when any of the other 8 visiting club fans come down to Melbourne. Only when Sydney plays. The same thing happens at Collingwood games in the AFL. There was no trouble at the ground. One flare was let off in the BWB in the second half.

I thought that all soccer violence in Australia was the result of "efnik" tensions lol, whats the excuse now? Some great clubs got relegated because of the inference to ethnic violence. The A League is quickly falling down and in no time will be on its last legs.