Author Topic: Holding Rocca key to beating Pies: Wallace  (Read 483 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Holding Rocca key to beating Pies: Wallace
« on: April 10, 2007, 05:33:53 PM »
Holding Rocca key to beating Pies: Wallace
By Catherine Murphy
richmondfc.com.au
April 10, 2007

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace believes the key to overcoming Collingwood is controlling in-form Magpie Anthony Rocca.

“He was in good form on the weekend,” Wallace said.

“I thought he played really well. He was probably the catalyst to their good form early last year.

"When he was playing well, Collingwood were playing well, so he’s an important player in the match.”

Wallace wouldn’t divulge who would mark the talented Magpie but said Joel Bowden has been given the task in a pre-season practice game.

“I played on him for most of the day and I did OK,” Bowden said.

“In saying that we had some pretty good pressure through the middle and a big breeze one way. So down one end it was always falling short and down the other end they were always kicking it over his head, so it was sort of fortuitous in that sense.

“He still took six or seven marks and had three or four shots at goal. He is a great mark and a very good kick.”

Wallace says controlling the midfield exchanges will be crucial.

“When Collingwood are playing their best football they play a real hard running style of game," he said.

"They’ve got some strong bodies in their line up, and I think their midfield when they’re at their best will run and carry. That’s what they did last year when they were playing well,” Wallace said.

Although the Tigers are still waiting for their first win of the season Wallace hasn’t been unhappy with the team’s performances.

“Every time you lose a game it’s disappointing. You want to win every game you play, particularly when you get into a position where the game is still alive late in the match. But we certainly performed better against Sydney compared to the way we played against them last year.

“Realistically in the season proper it takes a month for everyone to sort themselves out as in where they’re at and how their form lies.”

Brett Deledio says his biggest challenge in last weekend's match with the Swans was keeping an eye on "Spida" Everitt.

“You have to always make sure you’re watching what his hands are doing," Deledio said.

"He always makes contact with his eyes to his rovers so if you can pick that up it helps you out a little bit.”

For Bowden the biggest plus of the season so far has been that the younger players are really stepping up to the mark.

“We’ve got a couple of younger guys who are starting to slot in – Kel Moore, Luke McGuane this year," he said.

"Andrew Raines started last year in the back line. I think we’re jelling quite well together. I think one of the main issues is defending the bigger guys especially this weekend. We’ll need to be on our money.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=40926