Author Topic: Improvement for 2014  (Read 1494 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Improvement for 2014
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:35:49 PM »
It's tough to sit back and analyse where we can improve on, after a tough loss to the scum but it's better than sooking about it.

Next year will be tough. For a few reasons. We finished 5th, so cracking into the top 4 will be seriously hard. Haw, Syd and Freo aren't going anywhere, and it'd take a brave man to suggest Geelong are finally on the drop. So a top 8, 5th - 8th finish and a finals win is what we should be realistically aiming for.

A few things where we need to improve to achieve this and more:

1. Get a Plan B:
Hardwick has the Hawthorn IP and thus the same issue. No plan B. When everything is up and running - great. But if the opposition are on and they pressure the ball carrier and counter strongly... No plan B. This is Hardwicks issue. Too often is he out coached with no plan B. Happened today. Had no answer to the Blues when they clicked.. Shame.

2. Shake the tags:
We all know the culprits. Lids played loose off half back for a bit to avoid the tag. Pre Season should hire Tony Libretore to follow Deledio everywhere he goes to learn to deal with pests. Deledio shakes tags and we can get top 4.

3. Improve the pressure / fitness:
1st half the Blues coffed up the footy so much due to goo pressure and tackling. We looked tired and/or complacent in the 2nd half and they clicked. Top 4 sides don't do this. Need to get fitter so we can pressure for longer or maybe it's an upstairs issue.

4. Need to get stronger upstairs:
You don't play the same team twice and get a lead by 5 goals then get beaten by the same margin within a month of each other and call it a gameplay issue or player issue or match up issue. Simply put its upstairs. We've come along way in this regard but still had a lot to do. In the 3rd qtr as a Tiger supporter u could just tell that the Blues were coming hard and we'd get worried about it.. We let it happen. Need to get tougher upstairs.

Think we are on the right track and was great experience being apart of finals again. Hats off to the club for breaking a 12 year drought. Not the result we wanted but at the start of the year if you said we'd play finals but lose after dominating on the big stage but lacked finish and polish only to lose to a side that really clicked in the 3rd qtr - Id have taken it. Players would have got a lot out of it and we'll get bigger and better from this. 

:gotigers 214
Go Tigers!

the claw

Re: Improvement for 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:57:04 AM »
uless we find more quality. build more depth and address list structure theres every chance we wont make finals next yr.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 07:12:50 AM »
uless we find more quality. build more depth and address list structure theres every chance we wont make finals next yr.

I agree with that Claw, but they are not the only reasons imo. I also believe our fixture will become alot tougher given our finals staus like norf from year before, but unlike norf our large attendances would have the afl rubbing their hooves together.
Expect bigger games, more friday nights, more saturday nights, more spotlight, more expectations, more media and more pressure.  And not return games against teams like saints or bulldogs.
If we do the right things in the off season starting at the draught, trades/delistings table then we have a chance imo
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »
I agree with that Claw, but they are not the only reasons imo. I also believe our fixture will become alot tougher given our finals staus like norf from year before, but unlike norf our large attendances would have the afl rubbing their hooves together.
Expect bigger games, more friday nights, more saturday nights, more spotlight, more expectations, more media and more pressure.  And not return games against teams like saints or bulldogs.
If we do the right things in the off season starting at the draught, trades/delistings table then we have a chance imo

Bingo about the draw

They way the AFL expalined it the other week teams are going to be split into groups of 6 and you'll play the return (outside std blockbusters) matches against the teams your group.

think the groups are based on where you finished in the H&A season

So based on that were are likely to be in the same groups as:

Hawthorn, Geelong, Freo, Sydney & C'wood
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:40:10 AM »
When jack held the ball up 5 mins to go in the last quarter
We were dominating, carlton was on the ropes
The Blues would have been waiting for it, the minute it happened they exerted pressure on us. Our midfield didn't assist and we just dropped the bundle.
Sure we went in at half time with a lead but the minute that ball was held up that changed the game and showed that we were WEAK and had NO SELF BELIEF.
I would rather see hold the ball up means play on at all costs.
What a joke, Carlton then knows we are not even going to attack.
So improvement would involve
1. never holding the ball up like that again UNLESS it is to strike terror into the heart of the opposition knowing we are going to really go for it.
2. When a mark is taken inside attacking 50 turn immediately looking for options. We hardly ever do and our sense of urgency is sadly lacking and better options should always be considered.
3. Attitude adjustment, Our mantra suggests we will fight and fight and win, well you have to believe in your mantra.
4. Attitude adjustment
5. Attitude Adjustment

BTW Vlastuin was absolutely fantastic yesterday.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »
Guess it depends, if it is based on overall finish we are 7th now so would miss that top 6 group of fixtures.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »

Bingo about the draw

They way the AFL expalined it the other week teams are going to be split into groups of 6 and you'll play the return (outside std blockbusters) matches against the teams your group.

We finished 7th though, aren't we going to be in the 7-12 group?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 12:55:21 PM »
Need to be able to beat the bogey sides like North, Geelong, Carlton and Collingwood to show we have improved. I expect a very tough draw next year. We need to rise to the challenge.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 01:00:17 PM »

Bingo about the draw

I said I think (not 100% sure) that it is based on where you finished H&A not after finals

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »
well thats rubbish.

Not that it would happen but a team that finishes 7th goes on to win a flag can be in the second teir group.

very stupid system if u ask me
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 01:05:54 PM »
well thats rubbish.

Not that it would happen but a team that finishes 7th goes on to win a flag can be in the second teir group.

very stupid system if u ask me

new system

Look like I was wrong

Found this on the AFL web-site it says "final ladder"

Full statement: AFL commission decides on season structure

4:59pm AEST Wednesday, August 28, 2013

THE AFL today wrote to all clubs to advise the AFL Commission had approved a change to the 22-match fixture structure whereby each club would now have two byes through the season comprising 22 matches across 25 weeks, starting from next year’s 2014 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

As part of the introduction of a second bye to better manage the workload on players and clubs throughout the year, the premiership season will now commence with a split round across the weekends of March 14-16 and March 21-23 (five matches and four matches respectively on those two weekends).

The pre-season period will be revitalised to feature two matches per Club scheduled nationally, with a continued focus on regional areas that don’t normally host premiership matches, as well as matches in metropolitan areas and managing the travel load across all teams. In place of the NAB Cup Grand Final, the AFL is currently considering options for a representative-style game in the final week of the pre-season, together with intra-club matches for all teams, before round one gets underway.

AFL General Manager - Broadcasting, Scheduling and Major Projects Simon Lethlean said the first group of club byes were likely to be across rounds 8-10 (three weeks of six matches per round) with the second group of club byes to be placed in the run to the finals in the region of rounds 18-19 (one week of five matches and one week of four matches). All up, clubs would each play 22 games across 25 weeks through March 14-16 (week one of round one) to August 29-31.

The structure for the Toyota AFL Finals Series remains unchanged from the current top eight format.

Separately, Mr Lethlean said the AFL Commission had also approved a more formalised ‘weighted’ rule to govern the five double match-ups for each club as part of the premiership season.

In the construction of each year’s fixture, the final ladder will be grouped into the top six teams, middle six teams and bottom six teams with regard to better managing the equality of double match-ups for all clubs the following season.

·         Sides ranked 1-6 on the ladder will have a minimum of two double-meetings with other top six sides and a maximum of three meetings with sides ranked 1-6. They will have a minimum of one double-meeting of sides ranked 7-12 and a maximum of two double-meetings of sides in the 7-12 range. They will have either no double meetings or a maximum of one double meeting with a side ranked 13-18.

·         Sides ranked 7-12 on the ladder will have a minimum of one double-meeting with sides ranked 1-6 on the ladder and a maximum of two meetings with sides ranked 1-6. They will have a minimum of two double-meetings of sides ranked 7-12 and a maximum of three double-meetings of sides 7-12. They will have a minimum of one double-meeting of sides ranked 13-18 and a maximum of two double-meetings of sides ranked 13-18.

·         Sides ranked 13-18 on the ladder will have either no double meeting or a maximum of one double meeting with a side ranked 1-6. They will have a minimum of one double-meeting with sides ranked 7-12 and a maximum of two double-meetings of sides ranked 7-12. They will have a minimum of two double-meetings of sides ranked 13-18 and a maximum of three double-meetings of sides 13-18.

“The weighting of second-time match ups for clubs enables the AFL to better deal with the key requirement of equality, as well as continuing to ensure that our venue obligations and our broadcast obligations can be met,” Mr Lethlean said.

“Retaining a pre-set fixture for each season ahead, rather than re-fixturing the final rounds of the season after all clubs have played each other once across 17 rounds, better enables the AFL to manage travel loads of the non-Victorian clubs in particular, and ensure that key games such as Derbies, Showdowns, Q Clashes and major blockbusters can be accommodated twice in a season,” he said.

Mr Lethlean said there was no determination to increase the season-length beyond 22 matches at this stage, and nor was there any appetite to altering the structure of the finals at this stage.

“The introduction in recent seasons of the new teams in the Gold Coast Suns and the GWS Giants, combined with the creation of a new match schedule for the broadcasting of games within the current five-year television contract, has introduced significant new complexities into the fixture process.

“It was therefore recommended there be no change to the existing 22-round home and away season, but the Commission did require an increased focus on fixture optimisation, and on and off-field equalisation across all of the 18 clubs, as well as approving the incorporation of the second bye and endorsing an earlier commencement for the Premiership Season” he said.

The AFL is still in the process of considering a representative match in the final week of the pre-season in lieu of a pre-season grand final before round one, and it is expected this will be determined over the coming weeks.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-28/full-statement-from-the-afl

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 01:17:08 PM »
il take that.

knowing our luck we will end up in freo, syd and port adelaide.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Golfprotiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Risking Head and Shin
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 03:41:10 PM »
Need to be able to beat the bogey sides like North, Geelong, Carlton and Collingwood to show we have improved. I expect a very tough draw next year. We need to rise to the challenge.

We need to take teams on and stop the chip around slow down, bull poo. When we run we do damage! Still Bleeeeeeeeeding........
Tommy Hafey - "There's nothing more tiger-ish than a bloody tiger, a wounded tiger''

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »

We need to take teams on and stop the chip around slow down, bull poo. When we run we do damage! Still Bleeeeeeeeeding........

It was a soul crushing loss. Lets hope the players feel it as much as the fans. Tempo football is problematic. Sends the message packing up shop.

the claw

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »

Bingo about the draw

even then its tough.
richmond
collingwood
essendon
north melbourne
adelaide
brisbane.