Author Topic: Brett Deledio [merged]  (Read 189337 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Brett Deledio [merged]
« Reply #1305 on: July 06, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »
You can imagine that he could be stopped by a tagger once in a while. But it seems as though virtually every time he is tagged he is beaten. Mystifying for someone with so much skill......similar to Murphy from Carlton.
Abblett & Watson or Swan have huge engines and they're are very very strong.
They just run & run & run and tough their way to 30 possies no matter how hard they're tagged.

Lids is an excellent talent but obviously not fit enough to run a tagger ragged and not strong enough to out bully him. Until he addresses this he'll always struggle and so will Cotch.

Sorry I disagree. Swan, Ablett and Watson consistantly get high possession numbers in 1st qtrs where fitness isn't a key factor. Lids has a greater top speed than any of these so you'd expect him to be able to burn off a tagger easily. Aeorbic fitness should only really effect a tagger in 3rd and 4th qtrs. Lids can get tagged out of a game completely in the first half. Ablett, Swan and Watson never do. I couldn't imagine Watsons engine is much bigger than Lids who looks as fit as a Roman soldier.

Its more the contested situations where he can't get his hands on it. Lids is quicker off the mark than all those 3 so his uncontested possessions shouldn't be effected if he has a tagger, cause you'd back him to burn off an opponent.
He's not getting in the right areas, he's not getting help from team mates and generally looks completely uneducated and lost when there is a opponent between him and the ball.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1306 on: July 06, 2013, 11:26:56 PM »
Deledio blanketed by Hine

Brett Deledio's importance to Richmond is underlined by the fact he entered Saturday's game as the top-ranked Tiger in the Official AFL Player Ratings, at No. 17 overall. North assigned Taylor Hine to Deledio and the former Gold Coast Sun showed why the Roos pursued him so keenly in last year's trade period before snaring him in the national draft. The type of hardnosed run-with player the Roos have lacked at times in recent seasons, Hine gave Deledio barely a moment's peace in the Roos' 62-point win. Apart from a short time in the third quarter when Deledio went forward, Hine stopped him from having any real influence, restricting him to just 16 possessions.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-06/five-talking-points-north-melbourne-v-richmond

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1307 on: July 06, 2013, 11:38:17 PM »
Deledio is as fit as any, it's more that he is complacent, one dimensional and at times a downhill skier.

All the talent an ATHLETE can want but no aggression, especially if he;s being tagged by a guy full of it.

More willing to accept it, probably justifying it by thinking that it's not true football.

poo attitude when the going is tough more often than not
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1308 on: July 06, 2013, 11:55:35 PM »
He'll never be able to play whilst being tagged.
That's why the club places so much emphasis on our perceived midfield depth.
The old "Its great having all these good midfielders.If "x" is having a bad day, then "d and e" step up, is a crock of skata.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1309 on: July 07, 2013, 12:50:52 AM »
Deledio blanketed by Hine

Brett Deledio's importance to Richmond is underlined by the fact he entered Saturday's game as the top-ranked Tiger in the Official AFL Player Ratings, at No. 17 overall. North assigned Taylor Hine to Deledio and the former Gold Coast Sun showed why the Roos pursued him so keenly in last year's trade period before snaring him in the national draft. The type of hardnosed run-with player the Roos have lacked at times in recent seasons, Hine gave Deledio barely a moment's peace in the Roos' 62-point win. Apart from a short time in the third quarter when Deledio went forward, Hine stopped him from having any real influence, restricting him to just 16 possessions.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-06/five-talking-points-north-melbourne-v-richmond

Who the stuff is Hine.

Seriously, Brett stuff me. You're a superstar of the competetion. Does this not embarrass you to have your pants pulled down week in week out when someone is minding you. Anyone can dominate a game when you are free off half back and Western Bulldogs moron in the coaches box leaves you free without a man. Bloody hell.

Need to beat the leaving poo out of Brett for the next 2-3 years at every single training session to get some bloody mungrel in him so when some dribbler comes to him on a Saturday afternoon he's able to beat them without looking like a deer in the headlights because all of a sudden he has an opponent.
Go Tigers!

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1310 on: July 07, 2013, 12:51:54 AM »
Deledio is as fit as any, it's more that he is complacent, one dimensional and at times a downhill skier.

All the talent an ATHLETE can want but no aggression, especially if he;s being tagged by a guy full of it.

More willing to accept it, probably justifying it by thinking that it's not true football.

Here here

None more so evident when he teared up on the Sunday footy show when nafe said he was worst on ground

Lazy downhill skier when a hard tag is placed on him

He is our nikky dal
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1311 on: July 07, 2013, 12:57:48 AM »

Here here

None more so evident when he teared up on the Sunday footy show when nafe said he was worst on ground

Lazy downhill skier when a hard tag is placed on him

He is our nikky dal

100% spot on. My best mate is St.Kilda and if Richmond aren't winning I don't mind seeing Saints beat up on Essendon, Carlton and the like. Nick Dal Santo and Deledio are consistently mentioned in the same sentence. I'd have Lids over Dal any day for the fact that he's more a rounded player and quicker. But he has the same softness that doesn't allow him to shake a tag.

I did see him try a few different things, moving him out of the middle and onto the wing so he's able to run off the tagger into the middle, but that didn't work. Then moving him forward may have worked if we weren't playing like a busted hole.

I accept best players can be tagged from time to time. But Lids gets shut down completely 95% of the time, if not 100%, and not only to the best taggers in Crowley and Cornes etc. but to dribblers like Nick Lower, Taylor Hunt (Mitchell tore him apart tonight) and a stuffing Gold Coast reject Hine. I mean come on, its taking the pee now.
Go Tigers!

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1312 on: July 07, 2013, 03:47:59 AM »
and it's not as if it's a secret to rival clubs.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1313 on: July 07, 2013, 06:52:30 AM »
Fellas, he's been in the system for 10 years so its unlikely to change dramatically.
We need to set him up to win - if he gets tagged, put him somewhere on the ground where he can hurt his tagger - ie Full Forward. He's a good height and a great one on one mark.
I'd take 16 possies and 3 or 4 goals.
He has also done a good job tagging in the past - why not put him on a Swallow or a Ziebell or a Boomer?

The coach needs to plan B for rotations through the midfield when Lids goes missing as an offensive midfielder.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1314 on: July 07, 2013, 07:44:34 AM »
Some good thoughts here
So if the opposition see him as the key play maker and tag him heavily let's change it up. I like the idea of play him up forward, let's start him up at FF one game say against dockers. Force cowley to play in the backline, rotate dusty, catch through the same spot
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1315 on: July 07, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
Fellas, he's been in the system for 10 years so its unlikely to change dramatically.
We need to set him up to win - if he gets tagged, put him somewhere on the ground where he can hurt his tagger - ie Full Forward. He's a good height and a great one on one mark.
He has also done a good job tagging in the past - why not put him on a Swallow or a Ziebell or a Boomer?

The coach needs to plan B for rotations through the midfield when Lids goes missing as an offensive midfielder.
Agreed he has been in the system 10 odd years and some how I don't think he will ever turn this around. There's no chance he is going to start being more aggressive now. He is what he is- and that is someone who plays well against poo teams and is pathetic against anyone good.
And moving him to FF or across half back or wherever plays into the hands of the opposition just as much as anything else. He is like others have stated a downhill skier.
Now I know he just signed a 5 year deal but I would trade him for pick 1 this year. I know it sounds drastic after a bad lose but it's not just one game it's his whole career. Yesterday he should have stood up and dragged his teammates up but instead he got completely dominated by a virtual known kid.
We play this guy 500K a year to beat up on weaklings. And it's for the next five years.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #1316 on: July 07, 2013, 09:56:18 AM »
he gets tagged at least 20 games a yr but its only when he gets beaten u all sook

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1317 on: July 07, 2013, 10:02:44 AM »
The stats say Deledio plays better vs. top 4 clubs.

big tone - NFI

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #1318 on: July 07, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »

plays well against poo teams and is pathetic against anyone good.

That's brilliant. Obviously we can't go forward with blokes who don't perform against "anyone good". So I think we have a solution boys......Delist Deledio!!! Or trade him to Port Adelaide for Matt Thomas.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #1319 on: July 07, 2013, 03:56:25 PM »

Agreed he has been in the system 10 odd years and some how I don't think he will ever turn this around. There's no chance he is going to start being more aggressive now. He is what he is- and that is someone who plays well against poo teams and is pathetic against anyone good.
And moving him to FF or across half back or wherever plays into the hands of the opposition just as much as anything else. He is like others have stated a downhill skier.
Now I know he just signed a 5 year deal but I would trade him for pick 1 this year. I know it sounds drastic after a bad lose but it's not just one game it's his whole career. Yesterday he should have stood up and dragged his teammates up but instead he got completely dominated by a virtual known kid.
We play this guy 500K a year to beat up on weaklings. And it's for the next five years.

It's now 3.5 years but I digress. This post is too funny thinking he only beats up on weaklings. You obviously don't think he has played good footy in the last 18 months let alone throughout his career but please don't backtrack when you read this I can only laugh this hard once a day. :ROTFL

[/quote]

That's brilliant. Obviously we can't go forward with blokes who don't perform against "anyone good". So I think we have a solution boys......Delist Deledio!!! Or trade him to Port Adelaide for Matt Thomas.
[/quote]

While we are at it bring back Adam Thompson too given his ratio for clearances to time spent on the ground is in the top echelon of players in the AFL. :lol :rollin :lol