Author Topic: Depth Draft for Richmond  (Read 1945 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Depth Draft for Richmond
« on: October 12, 2008, 06:00:34 PM »
A poster on BF with a lot of time on his hands has done a Depth Chart for every club. Here's what he has for Richmond:

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/depthchart.php?team=RI

Key Defenders
Will Thursfield
Luke McGuane
Kelvin Moore
Graham Polak
Alex Rance
Jarrod Silvester

Small Defenders
Joel Bowden
Chris Newman
Jordan McMahon
Jake King
Andrew Raines

Key Forwards
Matthew Richardson
Jack Riewoldt
Cleve Hughes
Jay Schulz
David Gourdis

Small Forwards
Brett Deledio
Nathan G. Brown
Mitch Morton
Kayne Pettifer
Clayton Collard

Inside Midfielders
Shane Tuck
Nathan Foley
Kane Johnson
Trent Cotchin
Adam Thomson
Matt White
Mark Coughlan
Dean Polo
Shane Edwards
Andrew Collins

Outside Midfielders
Richard Tambling
Daniel Connors
Daniel Jackson
Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls
Travis Casserly
Cameron Howat

Rucks
Troy Simmonds
Adam Pattison
Angus Graham
Tristan Cartledge
Dean Putt

Taggers
Kane Johnson
Shane Tuck
Matt White
Dean Polo

Your thoughts?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Depth Draft for Richmond
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:59:48 PM »
A poster on BF with a lot of time on his hands has done a Depth Chart for every club. Here's what he has for Richmond:

Your thoughts?

Agree far too much time on thier hands :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 10:41:36 PM »
Polak and Sarge should be swapped based on this year.
Polo can be used as a small defender.
Lids can play anywhere except ruck or KPP.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 03:44:44 PM »
I have a question relating to that list if you don't mind OE -

In 2/3 years time how many of that list will still be there?

I would suggest most of them. This is why trades and delisting over the next couple of years is going to become so difficult and critical. I am very concerned that we will start to get rid of younger players that will come back and bit us later.

Back on topic though - Tambling has played more as a small backman this year, Schulz as a tall defender and Jackson as a tagger.

Stripes

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 05:53:23 PM »
Yeah, there are a few players I'd swap around position wise between mids and small forwards/defenders etc.  In fact some players are listed twice as taggers so I can't see how that can't be applied across the board.

Also, isn't Richo an ouside mid? ;D

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 06:01:30 PM »
Just on your point Stripes - I'd largely agree but the good thing too is that over the next couple of years we're definitely going to have a string of oldies retire - Richo, Sugar, Bowden, Simmo, Brownie all in their early thirties.  Also a possibility that Cogs, Pettifer and Polak may not see their 30th birthdays as AFL players.

So if 2-3 of them retire (or get moved on) per year then it's not going to be as big a deal.  Also with the GC17 and West Sydney outfits pillaging the draft it's highly unlikely we're going to be doing any major drafting asides from the mandatory 3 per year I'd suspect - plus the promotion of the occasional rookie you'd hope.

There's also a chance if we have a glut of talent in their early 20s that we might be able to trade some okay but not-essential ones away for improved picks.  Clubs seem to be avoiding trading for anything over the age of 24 - and I'd imagine GC & WS might be looking for ready to play but still young players and will have to give up picks to get 'em.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 12:01:50 PM »
This is when list management planning becomes paramount for our future success. We need to ensure that our older talent retire gradually and not all at one time and start to ear-mark potential player trades for the next few drafts when high picks become rarer than hen's teeth.

Depending on injuries and form, I would imagine Johnson and Bowden would retire and possibly even Browny in 2009 and Richo and Simmo in 2010. The biggest loss will be Simmo so the longer we can keep him our form ruckman, so our younger rucks can continue to develop, the better.

Richo may even retire next with Browny and both of these stars are become more injury prone the older they get. Richo almost won the Brownlow this year so I hope he can stay about for many more years yet.

I don't think we will miss Johnson, Bowden and Browny anywhere near as much as Simmo and Richo.

The other thing I think which will happen more and more with our list is we will find it increasingly difficult to give players long periods of time to develop and 'come good'. Players such as JON, Cogs and even Polak may be given less time just because places on the list will become more and more hard to keep.

This year the delisting process started to become more difficult and in future years in will only get worse. Petts, Casserly, Meyer and JON are all at risk at the moment but beyond them who would you get rid of? Would Cogs go? What about King or Jackson? Is Graham in danger?

List management is certainly going to get more and more difficult for Richmond which only means we are getting stronger and stronger as a club.  :thumbsup

Stripes

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:18:13 PM »
I have a question relating to that list if you don't mind OE -

In 2/3 years time how many of that list will still be there?

I would suggest most of them. This is why trades and delisting over the next couple of years is going to become so difficult and critical. I am very concerned that we will start to get rid of younger players that will come back and bit us later.
Roughly 3 years from now - Richmond players age Round 22, 2011  (current number of games)

36: Richo (276)

33: Bowden (253), Browny (206), Johnson (220), Simmonds (179)

29: Coughlan (83), Newman (133), Tuck (91)
28: McMahon (136)
27: King (33), Moore (46)
26: Schulz (67)
25: Foley (70), Jackson (47), Meyer (17), Pattison (53), Polo (31), Raines (53), Thursfield (40)
24: Casserly (-), Deledio (84), Graham (2), Hughes (16), McGuane (32), Morton (29), Tambling (75), White (38)
23: JON (9)
22: Collard# (1), Collins (-), Connors (8 ), Edwards (32), Gourdis (-), Putt (-), Riewoldt (26)
21: Cotchin (15), Rance (-)
20: 2008 draftees
19: 2009 draftees
18: 2010 draftees

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 03:11:15 AM »
You would expect the 30+ group in the top two lines to be gone within 3 years. Maybe one survivor at the most.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 12:58:58 PM »
None of the older players are now irreplacable. Had you asked us only a year or so a go people would have been tremendously concerned with what we were going to do without Richo in the forwardline but I believe we have filled that hole now.

In fact, with the exception of Simmonds, TW has done a good job moving the older players out of key positions and particularly responsible roles and used them in more impact/needs based areas. This year Richo and Bowden haver played on the wing, in defense and as a forward, Johnson as a tagger, inside midfielder and as a defensive forward and Browny has played in the middle and as a forward.

This is why finding a ruckman is so crutial for our future because it is the only clear depth issue we have in the immediate future.

Stripes

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 01:20:20 PM »
Good post Stripes

Unless Graham or Cartledge step up we are going to miss Simmo big time.  His ability to push up and kick a few goals plus his around the ground mobility has led us to be spoilt in this area in having such a handy big fella.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 08:19:50 PM »
Agree Chuck. We haven't found a replacement for Simmo from a team structure point of view. I know Gus had a shocker in the VFL Elim. final but we've got to hope that he gets a full preseason and steps up next year. It won't surprise me either if after failing to trade for a ready-made ruckman we'll promote Cartledge as a cheap temporary option as well as draft an 18 y.o. ruckman.

As for Richo he is a one-off.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 09:51:07 PM »
need more young players :)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 09:21:54 AM »
We have to start building ruck stocks.

Hawthorn just delisted Luke McEntee, but have Renouf, Taylor, Campbell and Bailey.

You can never have too many, because if you have a handy ruck that wants out, they are maybe the most valuable trade currency you can have at the moment.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 09:20:07 PM »
We have to start building ruck stocks.

Hawthorn just delisted Luke McEntee, but have Renouf, Taylor, Campbell and Bailey.

You can never have too many, because if you have a handy ruck that wants out, they are maybe the most valuable trade currency you can have at the moment.
True wayne. It also provides back-up if one cops an season ending injury (Bailey). 4 of those 5 Hawks were picked up under Clarkson yet their first ruck Campbell was already there.

Simmo being 30 makes the issue more urgent for us as well. We have to find/draft and develop two rucks not just one in the next 2-3 years and one of them has to become first ruck quality.