Author Topic: Will Thursfield [merged]  (Read 17497 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Will Thursfield - 2008 expectations?
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »
Further improvement and leading our defence

ditto. Hope he claims some more big scalps and continue to stake his claims as the premier young key defender in the comp

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2008, 05:58:48 PM »
Further improvement and leading our defence

ditto. Hope he claims some more big scalps and continue to stake his claims as the premier young key defender in the comp
Sounds good to me  :thumbsup. Hopefully this knee is just a niggle that will be gone by round 1.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2008, 06:15:20 AM »
Fev - Thursty's first victim of the year. Great job keeping Fev to just a paltry 2 goals and plenty of sooky la las. On ya Will  :thumbsup.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2008, 09:17:17 AM »
really only 1 goal, as fevs 1st was due to kingys oob on the full

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »

and only after having a practice shot

richmondrules

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2008, 10:40:35 AM »
My heart was in my mouth when he went down like a sack of poo after that marking contest in the 4th. A very important player for us. We have done well out of the PSD and Rookie draft.

Offline Rex

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2008, 11:01:24 AM »

Yeah what went on there? Fev gets a practice shot

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2008, 02:24:06 PM »
More of what he did last night although there was a passage of play in the first quarter where McMahon kicked out to him beyond the 50 on the members stand side and he was a little blasee going at the ball with one hand when to Blues were bearing down him. He was lucky the ball went out of bounds. Anyway solid in defence very quick and able to keep pace with the fast leading forwards as well as able to hold his own in the one on one strength contests.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2008, 09:39:08 PM »
We're very lucky that, like Richo, Thursty doesn't appear to have suffered any ill effects from doing his knee. Hasn't lost any of his pace and was easily keeping up with Fev on the lead.

Yeah what went on there? Fev gets a practice shot
Ump said Fev wasn't behind the mark  :scream.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Will Thursfield [merged]
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2008, 10:20:10 PM »
Show stopper
richmondfc.com.au
Sebastian Hassett
5:02 PM Wed 09 April, 2008

THE YOUNG defender on many people’s lips might be Collingwood’s Nathan Brown, but Richmond’s Will Thursfield is already staking his own claim for being one of the most promising young defenders in the competition.

Thursfield has been played on the likes of Brendan Fevola, Nathan Thompson and Anthony Rocca in the first three matches of the year, arguably coming out on top on each occasion.

While each week appears to be a case of ‘Who’s he getting next?’ for Brown, Thursfield, by contrast, is hardly getting the headlines. But he’s getting just as many big roles, and could well be the man identified by coach Terry Wallace to take on Fremantle superstar Matthew Pavlich this Sunday.

“[Pavlich] won them the game last week; he’s just an awesome player,” Thursfield told afl.com.au on Wednesday afternoon.

“I could be in the mix to play on him. I’m not sure about the match-ups this week. I might be an option.”

Some might be overawed by the prospect of taking on the game’s elite forwards, but Thursfield remains unperturbed at the thought of going one-out with the best.

“They’re pretty good players, so it’s a little bit scary at first, but once you do your homework and get your head around it, I find it pretty exciting and personally I enjoy the responsibility of having to play on those fellas,” he said, upbeat at the idea of facing Scott Welsh, Lance Franklin and Nick Riewoldt over the next month.

“Hopefully I can continue to keep going like the way I have been, because things have been going pretty well for me lately.”

The optimism is justified, but it wasn’t always the case. Thursfield, still only 21, has had more than his fair share of obstacles to overcome on the path to an AFL career.

He started football life with the uncertainty of the Tigers’ rookie list, before earning a promotion in 2005 alongside another star in the making, Nathan Foley. But while Foley would make an immediate impression in 2006, Thursfield lasted one game before succumbing to a knee injury.

“At the time it was shattering because I was starting to get a game and establish myself and right at the start of the year, to have that happen, I was pretty disappointed,” Thursfield recalled.

“But I was only 19, and they say it’s better to do it when you’re young and it can heal better. It was pretty bad at the time, but I can look at it all now as an experience.

“I’ve had a few injuries and things like that. They make life a lot harder but I’m enjoying being fit, having a pre-season and I reckon that helps a lot to be injury-free so you can show your stuff.”

Thursfield’s form has largely been overshadowed by the prospect of club icon Joel Bowden being demoted from the senior team – and from losses incurred in the Eureka and Rivalry Round matches against North Melbourne and Collingwood.

“Obviously the end results haven’t been too good, but it’s always enjoyable playing at the MCG in those big games, so it was good from that point of view. But obviously we haven’t played well enough to get the results we needed,” Thursfield said.

“It was a good effort in round one, but the poor starts in our past two games have been really costly for us.

“We’ve been able to break even in the second half for both of those games, but we’re giving away too much of a head start. It’s what we need to work on, and if we can start games the way we finish them, we’ll be playing a lot better.”

Thursfield is adamant training on the maligned Punt Road surface isn’t a huge problem for the players, but acknowledges they’d much prefer to be training over the hill.

“I don’t find Punt Road to be too much of a problem, but it would be nice to train a bit more on the ‘G,” he said.

“It’s getting better as we speak, they seem to be doing a bit more work on it, but we love getting a run on the MCG.”

In light of the Bowden debate, it’s interesting to note Thursfield lists his biggest in-house teachers to be players who were criticised toward the end of their careers, lending weight to the belief that experienced players can sometimes be equally important as mentors for younger players.

”Definitely Darren Gaspar when he was here a huge influence, we got on really well and he taught me everything,” Thursfield said.

“He’d be the one I’ve learned the most of, and I still keep in touch with him.”

“Another one in my first year was Mark Graham, who came over from Hawthorn. He was only there for one year, but he taught me a hell of a lot, and it’s those two who I’ve mainly tried to play like.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=57638

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Thursty - the Tiger who likes a good catch (The Age)
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2008, 05:43:43 AM »
The Tiger who likes a good catch
Emma Quayle | April 27, 2008

WILL Thursfield starts work experience on a St Kilda fishing boat in the next few weeks. The Richmond defender likes to fish more than almost anything, because it helps him relax and it gives him an excuse to travel to new, peaceful places. "I like to catch things," he said, "and eat them."

Such a simple pleasure perhaps helps explain why Thursfield's other favourite pastime is a slightly more hectic pursuit. Should coach Terry Wallace ask the 22-year-old defender who he'd like to play on in any given game, odds are Thursfield would choose the very best forward in the opposition team.

And if he could pick where to play them, he'd drag them as close as possible to their own team's goals. "I enjoy the pressure. I love trying to stop goals and knowing that if you make one mistake, you could be in big trouble," Thursfield said.

"You have to be calm and patient, but you can't be too calm because things can get intense without warning. But I just like having a job to do, knowing that you've been trusted to be responsible for a good player. It keeps you pretty switched on."

Thursfield found football all on his own. Born in England, he spent the first five years there, before his parents moved their young family to Melbourne.

They wanted to live in the sunshine, quite literally: Thursfield's father is a landscape gardener, and one of the big reasons Thursfield took to fishing is because you do it outdoors.

He took holidays at Port Douglas and the Great Barrier Reef last year, and the northern coast of NSW before that.

"I'm not sure where I'll go this year, but I love exploring, being outside and seeing new places," he said. "With footy it was a bit the same, I suppose. We moved over here, it was sunny, and then I found this game."

Since the day he arrived at Punt Road, Thursfield has been a full-back. Partly because he liked it, but also because he was told he was. "When you're a rookie," he said, "you kind of do what you're told."

His timing, speed and reach, said assistant coach David King, meant Thursfield seemed naturally suited to play in that part of the ground. That he was one of the more coachable kids at Richmond, always asking questions and trying to put the things he hears into practice, increased his chances of making things work in defence.

He asked questions when he couldn't play, too. Thursfield earned six games at the end of 2005. In his first game the following year, he was in the middle of a good duel with Nick Riewoldt when his left knee buckled at the start of the last quarter. "You always feel on the edge a bit (when you're a rookie)," he said. "Like things could be over really quickly. The last thing that you want is to spend a whole season out."

Still, Thursfield put his time out injured to good use and, looking back, thinks it gave him a chance to learn more about the role he wanted to play. He got a bit bigger, a lot stronger and watched plenty of other full-backs play, starting with the one in his own team.

"I kept my eye on Darren Gaspar, just trying to learn a few tricks," he said. "You never want to be injured, but the thing they told me was just to keep improving, however I could. If they can see you persisting, I think that's when they'll stick with you. Even though I couldn't play, I was trying to become a better player."

Thursfield struck up a close friendship with Gaspar during his time out, one that endured after the defender was retired early last season, effectively to clear the way for Thursfield, Luke McGuane and Kelvin Moore.

Gaspar liked Thursfield because he was so enthusiastic. "Not many young kids are all that keen to play deep defence, especially so early in their careers," Gaspar said. "Most of them try to get up on a wing or in the middle, but Will put his hand up to play down there. I liked that."

Thursfield felt terrible when Gaspar left, mostly because he liked him, and missed having him around the club. "He taught me everything I know," he said.

"It was upsetting when he left and I wanted him to still be there, but even when he wasn't he was helping me and ringing me up all the time, talking about opponents and helping me.

"It must have been a really hard time for him, but that never came through. He was always there, and I still feel really grateful for that."

So far this season, Thursfield has spent time on Brendan Fevola, Nathan Thompson, Chris Tarrant and Luke McPharlin. Gaspar thinks he's ready for Lance Franklin today, while the Tigers are sure that, no matter who he plays on, he'll be lining up on top forwards for a very long time.

"He's getting stronger and stronger, and his football knowledge is improving all the time," said King. "He's able to play on different types of players now, and he's a young player with enormous potential. He's only going to get better."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/the-tiger-who-likes-a-good-catch/2008/04/26/1208743332065.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

richmondrules

Re: Thursty - the Tiger who likes a good catch (The Age)
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2008, 07:20:12 AM »
 :thumbsup

I like this boy. Goes about it with little fuss and gets the job done.

Pleased to hear about Gaspar too. Perhaps I have been a bit harsh on him.  :clapping

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2008, 07:41:42 AM »
maybe all the rumours we hear that gas is upset with the club and the players upset with terry are all fos

been a thursty fan since the 1st time i saw him play and totally own micky O, and he has just kept on improving

he respects his spot that is for sure

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2008, 10:55:43 PM »
Mr reliable in a defence. I was surprised Thursty wasn't on Roughead today though with Moore on Buddy although he did blanket Williams.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2008, 11:05:03 PM »
Unassuming
Dependable
Fearless
Courageous
Relaible
Tough
Uncomprimising
Those qualities you want from your defenders.
Will possesses them all. :thumbsup