Author Topic: Deledio off to GWS in exchange for future first & third round picks [confirmed]  (Read 175869 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Not sure if it's related or now, but I heard from a bloke who works at the club that there was a big rift in the playing group this year.
absolutely untrue

Your source?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Not sure if it's related or now, but I heard from a bloke who works at the club that there was a big rift in the playing group this year.
absolutely untrue

Your source?
I have heard that Jack Reiwoldt and Trent Cotchin dislike each other.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
absolutely untrue

All righty. Just passing on what he told me.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.

Do tell.

Sorry Dooks. Don't have any more than that. He didn't go into detail.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
absolutely untrue

Your source?

There is absolutely no way that rifts wouldn't develop between players at some point.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
C'mon - why wouldn't 44 blokes mostly under 30 from different backgrounds and with many in direct competition with each other for spots in a high pressure enviroment with low job security all get along swimmingly 100% of the time?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Apparently they realised he wasn't as injured as he was saying.
Soft lazy prick  :snidegrin
Caracella and Balmey.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
so lid's heart wasn't really in it this year. Funny i thought it was only the lennon vickery types that didnt try  :shh

that letter the other day written by his manager was lovely now FO to the plastic factory

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Looks uglier and older LOL

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
C'mon - why wouldn't 44 blokes mostly under 30 from different backgrounds and with many in direct competition with each other for spots in a high pressure enviroment with low job security all get along swimmingly 100% of the time?

Once again you amd dogged are right and I'm wrong. I sincerely apologise, I don't know how I was so stupid!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Don't feel bad - only a very select few have played at the highest level like we have....

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Deledio fell out of love with the game at the Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1167 on: October 26, 2016, 02:50:43 AM »
Deledio fell out of love with Tigers

Sam Landsberger
Herald Sun
October 26, 2016

BRETT Deledio’s waning motivation and “love of the game” at Richmond triggered his decision to walk out after 12 decorated seasons.

The Tigers’ vice-captain only decided on the eve of trade deadline he wanted to join Greater Western Sydney and a trade was lodged just minutes before Thursday’s 2pm deadline.

The dual best-and-fairest winner tracked the frantic finish from a chemist in Torquay as he sought treatment for his young daughter’s rash before his sister’s wedding.

The two-time All-Australian’s close ties with Giants football boss Wayne Campbell and a blossoming friendship with coach Leon Cameron helped him choose the league’s baby club after an 11th-hour offer from premier Western Bulldogs.

Deledio and Campbell were teammates in 2005 while he met Cameron at a wedding a couple of years ago and then crossed paths on a Port Douglas holiday last year.

Giants’ star Stevie Johnson and Deledio recently attended mutual Kyabram friend Zane Coventry’s wedding together in Wangaratta and the former Geelong champion also helped coax him into a move north.

“It started with (Johnson) trying to take a hangar on me on the dancefloor, to him telling me that I should be up there,” Deledio said today.

“He’s taken a little bit of credit for it, but he’s been fantastic since on the phone and reassuring me that the nervous feelings will go away and you’ll settle in pretty quick.”

Johnson commented on a Deledio Instagram post: “Deledio to Giants, heard it here first !! #talkedhimintoit” days before the Giants’ interest became public.

Deledio has missed 16 games in the past two years after sitting out just seven in his first 10 seasons, further encouraging his decision to start afresh.

“I started to lose a bit of … I wouldn’t say passion, but I lost motivation and the love of the game,” the 243-game superstar said.

“I just wanted to reinvigorate myself and get back out there and play for the love.

“There were some trying times certainly this year when the side’s not going so well and you’re injured yourself.

“It’s something I never saw myself doing, but it wasn’t a decision I made on the toss of a coin.”

Deledio revealed that once he requested a trade Tigers coach Damien Hardwick pushed him to join the Giants, reflecting on his move from Essendon to Port Adelaide late in his career.

“(Hardwick) completely understood that after 12 years I needed something new and a handshake and a beer and away we went,” Deledio said.

But when Deledio and Hardwick caught up last Monday, the former No.1 draft pick thought he would be staying at Punt Rd.

Deledio and wife Katie toured the Giants’ facilities early last week, but he slept on a decision on Monday and Tuesday night. He then met the Dogs late on Wednesday, just hours before locking in GWS.

The silky half-forward said “it felt a bit rushed with the Bulldogs”, while he explained his recent change of heart on the Giants.

“My wife goes, ‘I don’t think I can move to GWS, I don’t know anyone up there, we’re going to have another child, I’m not going to have any support or anything like that’,” Deledio said in August.

But he said today wife Katie “has been so supportive and backed me in to try something new and to continue my love of the game”.

Deledio was the No.1 pick in the 2004 draft and joins Ryan Griffen, the No.3 pick, at GWS.

The No.5 pick that year — Lance Franklin — was also touted to join the Giants, before blindsiding the football world with a move to Sydney after the 2013 season.

The Tigers received Geelong’s 2017 first-round selection and the Giants’ 2017 third-round selection for their 2005 Rising Star winner.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/brett-deledio-speaks-candidly-about-why-he-moved-from-richmond-to-gws-giants/news-story/306d23b62692617904542a2dd2fa28cb

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
From the AFL website

The opposite forces were at work when it came to the trading of Tigers star Brett Deledio.

The Tigers weren't going to let the 29-year-old walk out the door without a significant return coming back the other way.

But they were prepared to pay a price to make it happen.

So with the Giants an interested buyer at the right price – and with a prized first-round pick available to Richmond in return – the two clubs needed to work out a deal satisfactory to both parties.

Industry sources suggest the Tigers agreed to pay about $150,000-200,000 a year of Deledio's wage (which was estimated to be $800,000 in 2017 if he stayed at the Tigers) over the next three years to get a deal over the line.

As a result Richmond gained next year's first-round pick (tied to Geelong's finishing position) and a future third-round pick.

It was not an unreasonable price for the Tigers to pay to be at the pointy end of the draft, albeit next season.

That's a good deal for both clubs with the Tigers bringing in new talent for Deledio and the Giants getting a very good player relatively cheaply, being able to absorb what the 29-year-old expected this season into a three-year deal.

Incidental to the mechanics of the trade, Deledio has agreed to less than he is probably worth in order to chase a flag.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-26/comment-the-trade-periods-hidden-agenda

Offline Relton

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
Looks uglier and older LOL

Looks fine. I expect him to have a stronger 2017 than Hunt, Morris, Lambert ..