Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 904040 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5460 on: April 06, 2022, 12:08:05 PM »
From most likely to least likely (IMO):

Retiring
Staying
GWS
Swans

:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5461 on: April 06, 2022, 01:25:21 PM »
I know this sounds blasphemous, but if Dusty does go to Syndey and we can get decent compensation and free up a bunch of cap space for a Tom Green type, then it may not be the worst thing in the world for our rebuild. Not sure I could stomach seeing him in another jumper though….

I agree.

He's given us everything, and to be honest when you look at the vile crap the media does to him who could blame him for wanting to get out of the fishbowl?

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5462 on: April 06, 2022, 01:29:05 PM »
So what is he worth as a contracted player? 
3 first round picks and a player at least

Hopefully he is feeling better and he gets back to playing before our season totally falls apart.   

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #5463 on: April 06, 2022, 02:10:05 PM »
At 31 years old, no he's not worth 3 first rounders. We would likely get Sydney's 1st and maybe a 2nd or a half decent player
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5464 on: April 06, 2022, 02:16:00 PM »
At 31 years old, no he's not worth 3 first rounders. We would likely get Sydney's 1st and maybe a 2nd or a half decent player

Especially if there will be ??? over his commitment (if he chose to leave)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin’s Richmond return a case of when, not ‘whether’, according to Neil Balme

Ronny Lerner
Fox Sports
April 6th, 2022 12:17 pm

It is not a matter of “whether” Richmond champion Dustin Martin will play again, but a matter of “when”.

That’s according to senior Tigers advisor, and legendary football operations manager, Neil Balme.

Martin has taken leave from football to deal with personal issues, including the untimely passing of his father Shane in December.

The three-time Norm Smith medallist hasn’t played since Round 1, and questions have hovered over his future in footy, despite him being contracted to the Tigers until the end of 2024.

Balme said Richmond was “suffering” without Martin at the moment, but that when he returned, he would repay his team handsomely on the field.

“The ‘Dusty’ challenge is there, of course he makes us a lot better team if he plays, and do we want him to play? Yes, we want him to play. If we could make him play, yes we would,” Balme told RSN on Wednesday morning.

“But the thing that I’m proud of about footy nowadays – and our club particularly – is that we do take the person into account more than just the club.

“We know that if we do the right thing by him and allow him to work through his stuff then when it’s his turn, he’ll give back a lot to us as well.

“Now, we’re suffering for it at the moment, but that’s the price you pay.”

Balme wasn’t sure when Martin would return to Richmond’s senior line-up but said it would happen when the 2017 Brownlow medallist was ready.

“Because they’re his issues and we’ve allowed him and we’ll help him as much as he wants us to help him but it’s essentially up to him,” Balme said.

“It’s a personal issue with him that he’s got to get himself organised and we know he loves playing footy so it’s not a matter of whether (he will play again), it’s just matter of when.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2022-dustin-martin-updates-dad-personal-leave-neil-balme-confident-star-will-return-to-richmond-tigers/news-story/920d684556a3d20e172d75ec4798c1d3

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5466 on: April 11, 2022, 11:14:53 PM »
Cornes talking ignorant crap again. Clearly he's never lost anyone close to him if he expects to know a specific timeframe for someone to grieve ::).

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #5467 on: April 12, 2022, 06:41:35 PM »
My father died very young.

I feel for Dusty.

Personally I did not have the luxury or choice to stop working.

I just got on with it.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5468 on: April 13, 2022, 09:01:35 PM »
I wonder when / if there is a line with Dusty. Chatting to a mate here said he wouldn't care of Dusty day at home and ran his contact down, he deserves that.

I'm unsure if I agree entirely, but got me thinking how long would were give Dusty. Halfway point of the season? The rest of the season?

Before we start getting a bit edgy in wanting him back.
Go Tigers!

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5469 on: April 13, 2022, 10:31:32 PM »
Hope he gets back soon but reckon it's forced others to stand up and I'm liking it. 

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5470 on: April 13, 2022, 11:52:04 PM »
Somewhere between mid season and end season

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5471 on: April 13, 2022, 11:57:52 PM »
I wonder when / if there is a line with Dusty. Chatting to a mate here said he wouldn't care of Dusty day at home and ran his contact down, he deserves that.

I'm unsure if I agree entirely, but got me thinking how long would were give Dusty. Halfway point of the season? The rest of the season?

Before we start getting a bit edgy in wanting him back.

Yesterday

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5472 on: April 14, 2022, 08:32:29 AM »
I wouldn’t be upset about him coming back for the first game after the bye

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5473 on: April 14, 2022, 09:17:58 AM »
Great point few have had to stand up sooner then later with or without Dusty has to happen.To be honest if he said I'll retire tomorrow I would say thank you very much for your service your club champion he owns us nothing.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5474 on: April 14, 2022, 03:10:23 PM »
Hardwick said there is no update to Martin's status, with Richmond still unable to put a timeline on the three-time Norm Smith medallist's return.

"He's got our full support to go about his business and achieve what he needs to achieve," Hardwick said.

"We'll be fully supportive of that and there's no rush from our point of view."

Source: AFL website