Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 904171 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5490 on: April 22, 2022, 05:20:46 PM »
Robbo: How Dusty’s story could become even more like Mike’s

Dustin Martin is football’s Michael Jordan, writes Mark Robinson. So will the Richmond star’s return from heartbreak be similar?

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mark-robinson-why-dustin-martins-looming-richmond-return-adds-to-the-michael-jordan-comparison/news-story/4b93c346e656c193dcd6f2f144a6dbbf

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5491 on: April 22, 2022, 11:46:43 PM »
Jack Riewoldt reveals he's sent Dustin Martin several messages but has had NO reply - and admits Tigers playing group are 'in the dark' about his return

* There has been speculation that Martin is about to make his return to the AFL
* He took time away from the game to deal with the death of his father
* Martin has been spotted training in a Melbourne gym and meeting his manager
* But his Tigers teammate Jack Riewoldt says the players remain in the dark 

By Josh Alston
Daily Mail
17:47 AEST, 22 April 2022

If Dustin Martin is set to make a dramatic return to Punt Road, his Richmond teammates know nothing about it.

Speculation is rife that Martin is set to make his return after almost a month away from the game. The three-time Norm Smith Medallist took time away from the AFL after round one to come to terms with the death of his father in the off-season.

On Friday his fellow premiership player Jack Riewoldt revealed on SEN that he had messaged Martin several times but had not received any reply. 

'It's been a while since we've had the media brigade camping out in the car park there - they're back,' he said.

'They're hiding behind cars, hiding behind trees, hiding behind rubbish bins to be that person to catch the first glimpse of Dustin Martin coming back to the club.

'To be honest, what I spoke about on [AFL] 360 last night was we're still in the dark a little on when and where Dustin will come back.

'The murmurs are that he is back in Melbourne. I've sent him a few messages, haven't heard back from him yet.

'Still giving him some clean air but look, to be honest, it's just about getting him right and healthy. That is the main thing that we want.'

Riewoldt moved to temper expectations and said that it would likely be a long road before Martin would be back to his best footy if and when he returns to the AFL.

'We want him to be back and when he comes back we know that it's not going to be plain sailing for Dusty straight away,' he said.

'He's going to have his ups and downs and no doubt he will have those for a long period in his life to come.

'It's about about getting him back in the best possible mental health for us.

'We look forward to having him back in the walls so we can keep him close and then hopefully get him back on the field sometime soon.'

The speculation about his return to the game intensified this week with reports the three-time premiership winner had returned from his trip to Sydney and was spotted working out in a Port Melbourne gym.

Veteran AFL reporter Caroline Wilson said: 'It's as strong as I've heard that there's a very good chance he'll be back training over the next week. I can't confirm it, but that's what I believe is a strong chance'.

It is also understood that Martin met with his manager Ralph Carr for several hours on Thursday night, fuelling the speculation his return is imminent.

Mark Robinson compared the Martin situation to Michael Jordan, who retired from the NBA for the first time in 1993 after his first three-peat with the Chicago Bulls, citing a loss of love for the game.

'The similarities between Jordan and Martin go way beyond performance,' Robinson wrote in his Herald Sun column.

'Martin, 30, is right now confronted with exactly what 30-year-old Jordan had to endure at the Chicago Bulls – the loss of his dad.

'His father was his best friend and people close to Martin say the reality of the loss eventually floored him almost three months after the event.

'Tellingly, Jordan returned to basketball, won three more championships, and played until he was 40.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/afl/article-10742283/Jack-Riewoldt-reveals-hes-sent-Dustin-Martin-messages-NO-reply.html

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #5492 on: April 23, 2022, 08:16:42 AM »
I think he should come back now the team clearly needs his help.  :help

The club that keeps giving.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5493 on: April 23, 2022, 10:57:57 AM »
Ain't good

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5494 on: April 23, 2022, 12:48:46 PM »
Ain't good

What "ain't good"?

Why?

Just another flimsy gutter piece by the media

So he hasn't answered some texts messages. Having been through a similar thing when i lost my Mum, (I was 38)the single biggest influence in my life, not answering text messages is common

Sometimes the healing/grieving process means you don’t reply, you focus on your self and what you need. And sometimes that means not answering the phone or text messages

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5495 on: April 23, 2022, 05:56:00 PM »
Ain't good

What "ain't good"?

Why?

Just another flimsy gutter piece by the media

So he hasn't answered some texts messages. Having been through a similar thing when i lost my Mum, (I was 38)the single biggest influence in my life, not answering text messages is common

Sometimes the healing/grieving process means you don’t reply, you focus on your self and what you need. And sometimes that means not answering the phone or text messages

I don't think it's a good sign that Jack hasn't heard from Dusty. They're close mates, even considering the closeness of footy mates.

As you said maybe it doesn't matter and that's what Dusty needs but my reaction to that tid bit was that it 'aint good'.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty back at Punt Rd :-)
« Reply #5496 on: April 23, 2022, 06:04:09 PM »
Dusty back at Punt Rd this morning :thumbsup

Source: Just now on 7news

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5497 on: April 23, 2022, 06:04:58 PM »
Ch7 just now

Dusty back at Punt Road today

Light run and gym session

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5498 on: April 23, 2022, 06:05:19 PM »
Dustin Martin has returned to Punt Rd for the first since stepping away from footy.

Dusty ran some laps and had a gym session with the rehab group this morning.

A nice surprise for his @Richmond_FC teammates who were unaware he was coming in.

https://twitter.com/_AMcCormack7/status/1517775515662577665

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5499 on: April 23, 2022, 06:14:49 PM »

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5500 on: April 23, 2022, 08:47:17 PM »
So mikes son was right? WP should apologise to the great journo of modern times.
 :lol
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5501 on: April 23, 2022, 09:05:39 PM »
So mikes son was right? WP should apologise to the great journo of modern times.
 :lol

Don't think Mike's son said he be back this weekend. He just waffled on about Dusty being at a mates gym

Closest to pin was Caro

I would never apologise to that lowlife wanna be journo. He is a disgrace.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5502 on: April 23, 2022, 10:13:27 PM »
Great news. Boys would be thrilled to see him back I imagine.

Wonder what sort of shape he's in?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5503 on: April 23, 2022, 10:18:28 PM »
Great news. Boys would be thrilled to see him back I imagine.

Wonder what sort of shape he's in?

He looked good in the news report

Said he appeared to have lost no fitness

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5504 on: April 23, 2022, 10:36:36 PM »
Wonderful news, in two fronts - he's feeling better and our champ.is back. Welcome back legend.
Go Tigers!