Author Topic: Essendon has spoken to Simon Matthews about becoming their next CEO: Caro  (Read 6608 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Essendon has spoken to Simon Matthews about becoming their next CEO: Caro
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2022, 08:33:17 PM »
That guy cannot be a CEO of an AFL club. Full stop.
 I’d be amazed if he’s ever going to be a CEO again after those revelations.

The article in question is on their website. C’mon, seriously.

Post link please. I saw one article earlier on their website that’s titled surviving same sex attraction as a Christian.

Doesn’t sound like they are ready to behead of their worshipers should they choose to bat for the other team.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2022, 08:35:34 PM »
Yep he sounds like a real bigot to me :lol I am personally glad he told them to FO.

Thorburn later released his own statement on Tuesday evening via his LinkedIn page, saying he was "incredibly excited" about getting started at the Bombers.

"I had seen a picture of a club that was not as broken as feared, and that with leadership and focus, could rebound strongly," he wrote.

"However, today it became clear to me that my personal Christian faith is not tolerated or permitted in the public square, at least by some and perhaps by many. I was being required to compromise beyond a level that my conscience allowed. People should be able to hold different views on complex personal and moral matters, and be able to live and work together, even with those differences, and always with respect. Behaviour is the key. This is all an important part of a tolerant and diverse society.

"Let me be clear - I love all people, and have always promoted and lived an inclusive, diverse, respectful and supportive workplace - where people are welcomed regardless of their culture, religious beliefs, and sexual orientation. I believe my record over a long period of time testifies to this.

"Despite my own leadership record, within hours of my appointment being announced, the media and leaders of our community had spoken. They made it clear that my Christian faith and my association with a Church are unacceptable in our culture if you wish to hold a leadership position in society.

"This grieves me greatly - though not just for myself, but for our society overall. I believe we are poorer for the loss of our great freedoms of thought, conscience and belief that made for a truly diverse, just and respectful community."

https://au.linkedin.com/in/andrewthorburn65?trk=people-guest_people_search-card

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2022, 08:38:46 PM »
Speaking of link

Frankie

Please supply the link that you posted the article from
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2022, 08:40:58 PM »
LinkedIn.

Okay il locate

Broadsword

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2022, 09:09:37 PM »
That guy cannot be a CEO of an AFL club. Full stop.
 I’d be amazed if he’s ever going to be a CEO again after those revelations.

The article in question is on their website. C’mon, seriously.
Doesn’t sound like they are ready to behead of their worshipers should they choose to bat for the other team.
Sounds like Essendon dodged a bullet. Where's his conviction? 😋

I mean that is the ultimate low bar: "I do not behead people who's sexual behaviour unsettles me."

You are right though. At least he doesn't seem culturally compelled to cover his wife up in black fabric (for all we know).

Re Bachar: I personally didn't detect any insincerity on his part. He seemed more into washing and kissing his parents' feet as a sign of humility and service rather than a marauding gay-beheaderer. Benign.

Offline TigerRocket

• Future Richmond star
  • Tigers 4 Ever
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2022, 09:20:26 PM »
It seems to me that people today cannot have an opinion or view that confronts the ‘woke’ society!! Given the many non-Christian views on homosexuality are in conflict with the woke view … surely they should be forced out of industry leadership!!

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 09:37:54 PM »
When was people’s personal lives a condition of employment, if he kept  it seperate from work like he did as a bank employee what’s the issue.
I may not agree with his beliefs but would defend his bygone rights to have beliefs that are not mine ,as long as they don’t actively hurt others
Victoria has become the nanny police state of the world.

Broadsword

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2022, 10:11:49 PM »
It seems to me that people today cannot have an opinion or view that confronts the ‘woke’ society!! Given the many non-Christian views on homosexuality are in conflict with the woke view … surely they should be forced out of industry leadership!!
My favourite so far is Germaine Greer waking up one morning to find she was suddenly on the conservative side of gender politics. The idea of a 'trans woman' educating Germaine Greer about women's rights is a level of absurdity I never saw coming.   

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2022, 10:20:17 PM »
Link below is an interesting read.

Forget his religious beliefs

Think his record as CEO of the NAB should have raised a few red flags

https://www.afr.com/rear-window/god-saved-essendon-from-andrew-thorburn-20221004-p5bn6n

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2022, 10:31:57 PM »

https://www.afr.com/rear-window/god-saved-essendon-from-andrew-thorburn-20221004-p5bn6n

So what’s the issue exactly? He didn’t know his staff was defrauding the bank?

Funny I never heard you mention such behavior when it happens to certain other people but now it’s an issue that raises “red” flags.

You make me laugh sometimes. It sounds like you are reaching as you have nothing else to give.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2022, 10:36:04 PM »
When was people’s personal lives a condition of employment, if he kept  it seperate from work like he did as a bank employee what’s the issue.
I may not agree with his beliefs but would defend his bygone rights to have beliefs that are not mine ,as long as they don’t actively hurt others
Victoria has become the nanny police state of the world.

Great post and totally agree. I can safely say if this blokes wife was wearing a burqa or that hijab we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Fact.

Can someone tell me what this guy actually said. That’s all I want to know. Did he broadcast his beliefs online or what.

Surely there is something. Surely.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2022, 10:48:18 PM »

So what’s the issue exactly? He didn’t know his staff was defrauding the bank?

Funny I never heard you mention such behavior when it happens to certain other people but now it’s an issue that raises “red” flags.

You make me laugh sometimes. It sounds like you are reaching as you have nothing else to give.

Gee I don't know ::)

I suppose being the CEO while the bank charged people $650 million in fees for no services and saying it was just carelessness is no biggie. Or did you miss that bit? Or don't you think he should be accountable for that?

Surely, the EFC should have done their due diligence on ALL aspects of this bloke before hiring him? Or don't you think they or any organisation should?

You make me laugh too, with your consistency in only picking out the bits of any article that suits your narrative.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2022, 05:45:34 AM »
It has to be all Dictator Dan's fault. :lol

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2022, 07:20:30 AM »
Either way this is essendrugs fault for either not doing due diligence or cracking to wokeness

Good on them lol

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2022, 07:39:47 AM »
He’s been exposed.
Religious views of his church that directly contradict the inclusive demands of the club
CEO’s ARE accountable for the types of issues which were exposed in the royal commission - ever heard of the saying that “the fish rots at it’s head”?

I’ve seen it first hand - it does feel somewhat unfair to the individual but they take the coin and sign the code of conduct clauses in their contract so they are on the hook.

How Essendon missed the above indicates “jobs for the boys”.

Those days went out when Sheedy was coach.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.