Author Topic: Cornes & King discuss the next steps in Richmond's rebuild (SEN)  (Read 810 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cornes & King discuss the next steps in Richmond's rebuild (SEN)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2024, 12:01:06 PM »
Balta and Taranto yes. Balta belongs down back IMO.

Gibcus a no at this stage unless his body comes good.

I think Young is serviceable tbh, astbury MK2.

Brown looks good.

Lefau at best will be a 2nd or 3rd tall option.

So we really need 2 key forwards and probably another defender then 3-4 kids. Hopefully McAuliffe is one of those.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2024, 01:57:16 PM »
Young could be like astbury if he had rance along side him or even a prime grimes,  but he doesn’t and the team defense is poor too so he gets found out a lot.

Definitely need atleast 1 key forward, hopefully Fawcett comes along nicely.

Interesting watching Geelong on the weekend, they still have a core unit of older guys. They just seem to be able to find gems in the draft who have developed really well.

Getting Cameron and Dangerfield in free agency changed everything for them, but if we were able to do something similar, who’s to say we can’t bounce back quickly. We will get a top 4 pick this year, hopefully another 2 or 3 first rounders.

Thing is we still need to attract guys in the right age bracket through free agency

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2024, 02:00:41 PM »
Astbury is so far out of Young's league it's not funny. Astbury at his best was a quality defender with a reliable pair of hands and decent disposal. Young is none of those things
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2024, 02:11:40 PM »
Astbury is so far out of Young's league it's not funny. Astbury at his best was a quality defender with a reliable pair of hands and decent disposal. Young is none of those things

Astbury was ordinary for a long time and IMO was always suspect by foot.

Young has played what 25 games? He looked good to me vs Dees.

If Balta can be the new Rance and Brown can be the new Grimes I see a spot for Young.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2024, 02:39:30 PM »

Agree. Not hating on Youngy but he's a long way off that level.

Astbury was underated for mine.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2024, 04:23:37 PM »
People moan about Young but I'm not sure why.  He is very good one on one, strong overhead as a marking interceptor, excellent with a spoil & generally defends very well.  He's still only 25 & has work to do on his strength & size, can't wait for him to bulk up & start pushing a few forwards around.  We moan about defenders who can't defend, but when we get one who is good at just that we find other thing to moan about instead. 
I'll bet he is pretty weak at trigonometry too ...     :o
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2024, 05:00:00 PM »
Young's a VFL level footballer who's been found out big time this year.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2024, 05:09:58 PM »
He has shown a bit in the last year or so but when the pressure is truly on I reckon he's been proven to be pretty ordinary. Handy depth but our current list situation basically has him playing by default
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2024, 05:18:48 PM »

Astbury was ordinary for a long time and IMO was always suspect by foot.

Young has played what 25 games? He looked good to me vs Dees.

If Balta can be the new Rance and Brown can be the new Grimes I see a spot for Young.

Astbury was plagued by injury in the early part of his career. He turned into a very good defender. He was a good mark, was very good one on one and had decent disposal.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2024, 07:38:29 PM »
Astbury at his worst was indecisive and rubbish.

FooffooValve

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2024, 07:48:24 PM »

And a triple premiership player & life member.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2024, 10:18:39 PM »

And a triple premiership player & life member.

So's Castagna for whom indecisive & rubbish was the default setting.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2024, 03:09:34 PM »
Question i ask is how long before we can legitimately contend again. Lets say the consensus is 5 years.

Most likely in 5 years time the following will be gone for sure if not earlier. they all are already at least 30 or turn 30 this year.
Pickett, Broad, McIntosh, Vlastuin, Grimes, Prestia, Martin, Lynch, Naismith, Nankervis.

Add to that the following will be at the back end of their careers if still there.
Short 33, Hopper 32, Rioli 32, Graham 31, Taranto 31, Baker 31, Bolton 30, Young 30, Lefau 30.

Then we have those who are just not good enough who are younger and are likely to be gone and there's a few.
 If 2029 is top 4 and challenging then the amount of work that needs to be done is monumental. I think 5 years is being unrealistic.