Author Topic: Lynch & Jack just as out of form as Ben Brown: Lloyd  (Read 2142 times)

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Lynch & Jack just as out of form as Ben Brown: Lloyd
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 01:16:53 PM »
Good points delivery hasn't been great and forwards big and small been way down.The simple fact is through were getting ball inside our 50 and missing to many shots on goal and smalls are not doing there job.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 01:32:47 PM »
Not every kick - what so one in ten? No delying Lynch has been below average  & Riewoldt's been poor but the delivery's been abysmal and you can't just discount it, also I wouldn't be using outliers like the one good game Adelaide's played all year  & best game Walker's played since 2017 as a counterpoint.....plus the main issue with Lynch is his set shot kicking - he's missed at least half a dozen from right in front that if he'd nailed he'd be third in the Coleman behind Papley & Kennedy and ahead of Dixon who the media's been raving about all year... :shh :shh

We are in agreement then - Lynch below average and Jack poor.

Yes, delivery could be better but they need to lift.

I was using Tex as an example that even crap forwards like him can take contested marks.

I really don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that our highly paid big fish power forward pulls down a couple of pack marks a game.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 02:29:04 PM »
Jack said he and Lynch haven't got that onfield "connection" back yet.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »
That finger is surely effecting the ball drop.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Tiger forward Tom Lynch says broken hand not a reason for no goals
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »
AFL 2020: Tiger forward Tom Lynch says broken hand not a reason for no goals
Russell Gould
4:26PM JULY 27, 2020

Richmond forward Tom Lynch concedes he’s “out of touch” but dismissed any suggestion recent surgery to repair a broken hand was playing any part in his lack of goalscoring.

Lynch, who is preparing to play his first game on a Wednesday “probably since primary school”, didn’t kick a goal in last week’s loss to GWS and has just 11 goals in eight games this season.

He broke his hand against Melbourne in Round 5, which required surgery. But he played the next week and hasn’t missed a game.

Lynch, who booted 63 goals for the Tigers last year, said the Tigers needed to work on their forward “connection”. But he conceded he needed to be better against the Western Bulldogs this week.

“The hand is fine. It’s feeling a lot better than it was a couple of weeks ago. It’s not an issue. I’m just not marking that well at the moment,” he said on Monday.

“Personally I just think I am out of touch at the moment. It’s a bit of a funny year at the moment, there’s not many key forwards playing that well.”

A bag of seven goals from West Coast spearhead Josh Kennedy on Sunday was easily the best return of any key forward this season.

Sydney small forward Tom Papley is leading the Coleman Medal with 19 goals, and four small forwards are in the top six.

AFL great Wayne Carey last week said the current crop of key forwards was “just no good”.

Lynch said shorter quarters may be impacting their output.

“Maybe the shorter quarters, the game hasn’t been opening up as much,” he said.

“I don’t know if it’s flooding (defensive) tactics, but when it’s a slow play there has always been numbers inside forward 50. I don’t think it’s massive change this year, I just think key forwards aren’t playing that well.”

Wednesday’s clash is the first of four in 20 days for the Tigers, and Lynch said he hoped to play all of them.

“We’d rather be playing than training all the time. We did a lot of training over the isolation period so we are wrapt to be playing games,” he said.

“I’d be hoping to play every game. I’m keen to play. I don’t think we’ll be managing too many players. If you are right to go, you’re right to go.

Flooding at their Queensland hotel across the weekend forced the Tigers to spend Sunday moving fitness equipment from the waterlogged basement.

“We have got treadmills and a bit of a gym set up down there. We had to get everything out of there, get crates to get the gym equipment up off the ground,” Lynch said.

“It was a day off and we were all woken at 7 o’clock in the morning. There was a bit of chaos there, but it was all fine.”

Richmond captain Trent Cotchin is expected to return from his hamstring injury against the Bulldogs, having missed the past three games.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/richmond/afl-2020-tiger-forward-says-broken-hand-not-a-reason-for-no-goals/news-story/0ce364d62f76d2811fde55b2827a4a30
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 08:16:06 PM »
Confidence down due to hand IMO.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 10:09:26 PM »
Confidence down due to hand IMO.

He’s been struggling all season, even pre broken hand. Not helped by our crappy forward entries but not helped by their own personal form either.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 10:39:50 PM »
It think he has gone a little better than Jack, I hope they watched the West Coast big forwards game to see how it’s done.
Jack may need to work up the ground a bit more to open up our forward line

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 11:25:32 AM »
We should see a response from these 2 this week
It seems that others put under media pressure lift when threatened. If the shoe was on the other foot and they played for another team playing us they would both kick 5.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
The tables will turn’: Jack Riewoldt’s defiant pledge to escape form slump

Jacob Polychronis
July 29, 2020 11:05am

Under-fire Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt insists he’s just “10 minutes of good footy” away from turning around his 2020 season after a poor start.

The dual premiership star has kicked one goal in each of his past five games; a concerning lean patch that triple All-Australian Nick Dal Santo believes could lay waste to Richmond’s flag hopes if it doesn’t end.

Riewoldt has averaged 2.4 goals per game in his 14-year career at Punt Road, but an unprecedented slump in this season’s opening rounds has seen Richmond win just four of its first eight games.

Ahead of Wednesday night’s match against the Bulldogs, the 31-year-old told Fox Footy’s AFL 360 that he’s disappointed with his form, but remains confident that it won’t take much to turn it around.

When asked if a lack of goals has been weighing him down, Riewoldt said: “I’m not playing as well as I’d like.

“But I think when you’ve been around for as long as I have you develop an inner-belief that it’s only one quarter, 10 minutes away of good footy to get back to your best.

“The tables will turn. Sometimes this is footy and this is a completely different year to what we’ve had before. So it’s just taken us a little bit of time to adjust.”

Riewoldt added that his work off the ball is still important for the Tigers, as are his efforts in assisting other players to find their own form.

Nonetheless, the forward is unable to escape unwanted attention in 2020, in which he’s averaging just eight disposals a game — his lowest tally since his debut season in 2007.

St Kilda great Dal Santo is among those to raise the alarm over Riewoldt’s slump, telling Fox Footy’s First Crack that Richmond’s quest for back-to-back premierships can’t sustain his current form.

“I think we’ve seen enough football this year for me to say that if Jack Riewoldt doesn’t get out of this form slump that he’s going through, they can’t win the flag,” Dal Santo said after Richmond’s 12-point loss to the Giants on Friday night.

“He’s not playing good football, but they need him to play better football, in my opinion, for them to get to where we think they can get to.”

Riewoldt told AFL 360 that the criticism may have affected him earlier in his career, but it is now “water off a duck’s back”.

“I reckon maybe five or six years ago, had I gone through a lean patch like I am now, I really would have resented the way the media were talking about me because I feel like I’m still doing a lot of things off the ball that are making us a good side or go to the way we play,” he said.

“But I understand you’ve (media) got to talk about players. I’m a realist. I know that once you get a three in front of your age, people automatically write you off.

“I’m pretty realistic. I know I’m still a good player, I just haven’t played very well over the past few weeks and I know that it will come around again...”

Riewoldt isn’t the only Richmond forward struggling. His fellow key forward, Tom Lynch, was held goalless against the Giants and has just two majors in his past three games.

The pair will have a chance to turn the tables on Wednesday night (7.10 EST) when they face the Bulldogs, who have won back-to-back matches against Essendon and Gold Coast.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-richmond-tigers-vs-western-bulldogs-preview-jack-riewoldt-addresses-form-slump-tom-lynch/news-story/d22615f3fd2ef1c5f701fdd3153143cd
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 07:24:13 PM »
Contested mark from and goal from Lynch! Hell yes! More please!

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 08:26:45 PM »
Not out of form any more

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 11:05:50 PM »
The twin towers were much better tonight but Chol looks more dangerous than both of them up forward tbh...