Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 241078 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #1110 on: April 07, 2022, 03:14:45 PM »
AFL Media reporter Cal Twomey has provided a contract update on Richmond’s Daniel Rioli:

Daniel Rioli (Richmond)

“Interesting one last year with Daniel Rioli signing a one-year contract through to this year, where he could’ve taken a two-year deal and got himself through to free agency.

“I spoke to his manager Ralph Carr yesterday (Wednesday), he said Daniel’s keen to wait until closer to the end of the year before making a call on his future.

“He’s happy at Tigerland, clearly a triple-premiership player, and has started this year pretty well playing in defence, a role that he played a bit of last year in a season that saw him dropped once or twice.

“One to keep an eye on from the Tigers’ point of view. They’re heading towards a re-contract with Jayden Short, the free agent, and that will happen, but Daniel Rioli’s one to keep an eye on closer to the end of the year.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/04/06/contract-updates-on-premiership-tiger-lions-free-agent-and-young-cat/

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1111 on: April 10, 2022, 05:18:03 AM »
Virtually the complete game from Dan last night. Not only got a heap of it rebounding out of defence but also applied tackling pressure. At least won 2-3 HTB frees from his chasing and hunting down Dog forwards.

25 disposals (19k, 6h, 5c, 16u, 76% eff.)
8 marks ( 1 contested)
2 tackles
2 inside 50s
5 intercepts
369 metres gained
5 score involvements
73% time on ground
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1112 on: April 10, 2022, 10:40:16 AM »
Only thing I think you can ve critical of were the short kicks that didn't hit the target that caused turnovers

But the positive from this errors were his 2nd efforts to try and rectify
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1113 on: April 10, 2022, 11:11:17 AM »
Full credit to all involved here. Been excellent.

I love the idea of him going forward late in game in finals especially as he loves a goal in big games.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1114 on: April 15, 2022, 07:45:43 PM »
The experimental switch that’s paying off for Richmond

The Tigers look to have plugged a hole over the off-season while simultaneously rekindling the value of a player on the periphery.

Mitch Keating
zerohanger.com
April 15, 2022 - 1:49PM

It's been enjoyable to watch Daniel Rioli’s move to the backline.

Rioli has struggled for consistency and impact the last couple of years after a terrific start as a small forward. After seemingly running out of options, having dropped and reinstated him numerous times, Damien Hardwick trialled Rioli at half-back towards the end of 2021.‍

There were signs. Some good, some bad and some disastrous. Learning to be accountable and reliable as a defender, especially against the elite athletes that are high half forwards, is always going to be an adjustment.

The offensive side of things came easy for Rioli. He has the pace to break the lines which Richmond desperately need. Excluding Short, Richmond are sorely lacking in this area after the retirement of Bachar Houli. Rioli provides that. But it was apparent last year that his defensive mistakes outweighed any benefit on the offensive end.

However, it's clear he's gone to work in this area. A full pre-season in defence helps, as some of those deficiencies have been ironed out.

He’s progressed in one-on-one scenarios to the point where Richmond are comfortable leaving him in those scenarios. He's making sounder decisions of when to come off his man and get involved offensively or when to remain accountable until the ball is won.

A perfect example here, as he defends first then gets involved offensively (with a slick over the head handball if you don't mind).

He’s also been damaging with the ball, averaging 20 disposals, seven marks, two inside 50s, four rebound 50’s and four score involvements at 86% disposal efficiency a game.

86% disposal efficiency at 20 disposals a game is an absurdly good clip even if Rioli is taking kick-outs. He has a great leg and is creative out of the back half.

Four score involvements per game for a small defender is a great return. Here, he surges out of half-back after identifying Richmond have won the clearance and sets up a scoring chain.

This is a great example of a coach who’s open-minded to positional changes and remains flexible in their initial assessment of a player.

Such positional changes, especially from a forward to defensive role, can work wonders for a team if that player is given time to grow and adjust.

Players can transform from a delisting candidate to a best 22 player (Jayden Laverde). Others can go from showing flashes to an All-Australian star (Bailey Dale).

Whilst Rioli is more likely the former than the latter, it’s a better position than where he was not too long ago. Teams should experiment with their players more often, especially when their output becomes stale in one position.

https://www.zerohanger.com/footy-talking-points-the-experimental-switch-thats-paying-off-for-richmond-118672/

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1115 on: April 16, 2022, 07:39:10 PM »
Searching for a positive. I thought Rioli was our best tonight. One of the few Tigers who were clean with ball, gave us creative run and rebound out of defence and off HB, and kept his direct opponent Rachele quiet.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1116 on: April 25, 2022, 01:56:56 PM »
Was one of our best last night. Very clean and kept Kozzie to 2 behinds.  :clapping

His ball use was elite all night.

I didn’t think this experiment would work but I have been proven wrong again.  :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1117 on: April 25, 2022, 04:08:53 PM »
His attitude is brilliant.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1118 on: April 25, 2022, 05:45:27 PM »
He's a line breaker. And more aerial than Houli was.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1119 on: April 25, 2022, 07:01:47 PM »
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick is rapt with the way Rioli is adapting to his football life as a half-back.

“He’s a pretty important part of the equation,” Hardwick said in his post-game press conference.

“He’s only been playing half-back for probably 10 or 12 games. So, he’ll continue to get better and learn from his role.”

After six rounds, Rioli is averaging 18.7 disposals, 5.8 marks, 3.5 rebound-50s, 5.2 intercepts, 3.5 score involvements and 408 metres gained per match.

Rioli did a sterling job on dangerous Melbourne small forward Kysaiah Pickett in the Anzac Day Eve clash at the MCG last night.

Not only did he keep Pickett goalless and restrict him to just nine touches overall, Rioli had 17 disposals himself, along with three rebound-50s, four inside-50s, four marks, four intercepts, 467 metres gained, and a lovely running goal.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1111677/rioli-reaps-rewards-of-shift-back

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1120 on: April 25, 2022, 09:02:12 PM »
I still believe he's a natural forward and should be played there. 

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1121 on: April 29, 2022, 10:55:56 PM »
What a move this has been.

Dan is absolutely lethal off half back. Plays close, very good in the air, thinks quick and finds a target, great speed and kicking.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1122 on: April 29, 2022, 10:56:44 PM »
Hes sensational as a half back

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1123 on: April 30, 2022, 12:00:28 AM »
I would say Dan would be in the top 3 in our B&F at this stage. He's having an excellent season.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1124 on: April 30, 2022, 12:01:06 AM »
BOG for mine last night
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)