Author Topic: Soldo Promoted & will make his debut [update]  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Soldo Promoted & will make his debut [update]
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 02:19:01 PM »
If Griff and Elton were only required to crash packs then I hope Soldo gets the same leeway.
Griifths and Elton are supposed to be kpfs not ruckmen. Soldo just needs to do what Nankervis did compete hard at the ruck contest and throw his weight around when the ball hits the ground.
If he can take the odd mark around the ground great.
Good or bad what a great learning curve for the kid AFL exposure and some sort of idea of what it will take to become a good ruckman.Good or bad game it is a win win for us.

So he's expected to do more than Griff and Elton? I see. Wonder how the Hammer fans will rate and compare him :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Canberra product Ivan Soldo set to make AFL debut for Richmond (Age)
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 02:49:18 AM »
Canberra product Ivan Soldo set to make AFL debut for Richmond Tigers

Caden Helmers
The Age
6 May 2017

When Ivan Soldo stood next to his cousin and Richmond Tigers ruckman Ivan Maric for a photo, never could he have imagined it would launch an AFL career.

The former basketball player from Canberra had barely laid boot to ball outside of gala days playing for Daramalan College but was keen to try his hand at Australian rules.

Soldo told his cousin Maric he was thinking about having a crack and before long the Richmond cult figure was rushing to show club officials a photo of the two together - at 204 centimetres and 106 kilograms, Soldo is the bigger cousin.

Now the Western Bulldogs will have to contend with the 21-year-old's sizeable frame in his AFL debut at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night.

"When I was playing basketball everyone was like 'he could play, he could be a ruckman'," Soldo said.

"That was a little joke at the start but I actually wanted to play. But then they were like 'if he's committed to it, let's see how he goes in the next couple of years'.

"It was weird circumstances, but it's all working out now. A lot of the blokes here in Melbourne have been playing since they were four, footy is pretty crazy here. It's nuts."

Soldo edged out his cousin in the race to fill the shoes of first-choice ruckman Toby Nankervis, who is unavailable through suspension, but laughed that's only because he was "the tallest bloke available".

Soldo has excelled in the VFL and had a hunch all week he was going to play, but it still made for a "pretty cool" feeling when his teammates started jumping all over him after the announcement.

He wasn't concerned by the prospect of playing against the reigning premiers - the only worry he had was trying to keep all of his lunch from hitting the floor.

"I was having my lunch so I had to make sure [the boys] didn't jump on my plate, because everyone was coming from all angles," Soldo said.

"It hasn't been easy but I've embraced every challenge and I just enjoyed all the bad times and all the good times. It's been a bit of a trek, a bit of a journey that's for sure."

Soldo made his way to Punt Road as a category B rookie 2014 and was named to make his AFL debut against the reigning premiers just hours after being elevated to the senior list.

He has certainly come a long way since filling in for Daramalan College's 3rd XV rugby team at Viking Park on a Friday night four years ago.

"Rugby was fun because I was pretty heavy back then because I wasn't going to the gym and that," Soldo said.

"So rugby was easy… then you compare it to footy - far out, so much running."

He will receive some support from recalled tall utility Todd Elton in the battle against Bulldogs ruck Tom Boyd, who is looking to rediscover his stellar form that guided the Bulldogs to a premiership last year.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/richmond-tigers/canberra-product-ivan-soldo-set-to-make-afl-debut-for-richmond-tigers-20170505-gvz103.html

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2017, 04:39:04 AM »
Absolute beast

204cm and 106kg
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:57:31 AM by 🏅Dooks »
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2017, 07:30:20 AM »
Hoping he can have a similar impact to Preust from the Roos who made a great start to his career
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2017, 06:43:42 PM »
Must be an optical illusion but his legs just don't look right to me.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2017, 08:51:25 PM »
Soldo has been solid
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2017, 10:14:52 PM »
Already 10 times better than the spud.
The club that keeps giving.

tony_montana

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2017, 10:22:18 PM »
Did he play after qtr time?

Ruanaidh

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2017, 10:27:01 PM »
Won't keep his spot but looked promising.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2017, 10:29:14 PM »
Keep him in with Toaby and stuff Elton off.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2017, 10:30:04 PM »
Really struggled with the pace of the game but that's to be expected, real shame about Nanks missing as he could have been the difference tonight.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2017, 10:35:52 PM »
Keep him in with Toaby and stuff Elton off.
yep

tony_montana

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2017, 11:56:57 PM »
Solid debut

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)