Author Topic: Terry Wallace: Pay big buck to recruiters, not coaches (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1848 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Terry Wallace: Pay big buck to recruiters, not coaches
Mark Stevens and Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
April 21, 2011

TERRY Wallace believes clubs should switch their priorities by spending more money on recruiters than coaches.

The former Richmond and Western Bulldogs coach said talent identification and list management was now the key to success.

"If I was sitting on a board, I would be spending more money on getting my recruiting and list management right than would I would be spending on my coaching department," Wallace told Superfooty's Front and Square program.

"You might say that's flipped around the wrong way - and you've only got to look at what Essendon has done with their coaching structures - but they already had a good young list there.

"You need to get the right people to pick the right player ... then go for the coaching staff after that.

"Get the blokes that can really pick the eyes out of it. That's your football club history sitting right there.

Wallace pointed to Essendon nailing its early picks, with the likes of Dyson Heppell, Michael Hurley and Patrick Ryder all flourishing.

But Richmond was not as successful in Wallace's time at Punt Rd, with failures in the 2004 and 2005 drafts now haunting the club.

"The reality was we weren't recruiting well at that stage," Wallace said.

"We had five selections in the top 20 in that draft (2004). There's one of those in Brett Deledio still at the football club."

Richard Tambling (pick No.4), Danny Meyer (No.12), Adam Pattison (No.16) and Dean Polo (No.20) followed Deledio, but have departed.

Wallace also highlighted that the two top 25 picks taken in 2005 - Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (No.8) and Cleve Hughes (No.24) - are also no longer at Richmond.

He praised the Tigers' "bottom-end" selections, with late picks and rookie choices, but added: "The top-end stuff, you just can't afford to get it wrong".

Of that lost generation, Wallace said: "There's six that all should be playing in the senior line-up now. It would make a huge difference for Richmond if that was that case".

Richmond took Tambling at No.4, allowing Hawthorn to pick up Lance Franklin with pick No.5.

Asked how close the Tigers were to taking Franklin, now a superstar, Wallace said: "Nah, not close at all".

Wallace said Franklin was always going to be a top six player and was on the Tigers' radar, but the mantra was to take the best available player regardless of size or position.

"I had only been at the club three weeks I think, coming out of the media," Wallace said.

"My basic aim to the recruiters was, 'Pick the best players'.

"Richmond had lost 14 games in a row the season before - we just needed best player, best player, best player.

"It hasn't turned out that way - they won't be the first and the last."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/terry-wallace-pay-big-buck-to-recruiters-not-coaches/story-fn7si05c-1226042477330

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Terry Wallace: Pay big buck to recruiters, not coaches (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:09:48 AM »
revisionist history by Wallace.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 07:49:12 AM »
another lovely deflection through slips,  ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 07:54:34 AM »
may be a deflection but he's not incorrect.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

tony_montana

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 09:06:10 AM »
When we hired him as coach and paid him what was then big bucks, hawthorn went the opposite way spending an assistants wage on their rookie head coach and investing big in the footy department - smart man is Wallace.. in hindsight

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:22:12 AM »
Just wish he thought that way 7 years ago.

Actually wished Greg Miller thought that way 7 years ago.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
Just wish he thought that way 7 years ago.

Actually wished Greg Miller thought that way 7 years ago.

Actually wished the club thought that way 7 years ago - neither Wallace nor Miller would've been appointed.
Money would've gone into an unproven coach and the money saved could then have been invested into some recruiting scouts.

The coach may not have lasted more than 3 years but would've set the foundation for today with a much stronger list and much less trading for the crap.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 12:06:52 PM »
had to laugh at the time after 2 years into the 5 years contract that Terry had then lost the plot , although the club wanted to honor the remainding 3 years. The $600,000 a year paid to Wallet could of been used elsewhere.
Clubs fault, not Wallet.
Where is Greg Miller these days? CEO at the Greyhounds isnt he

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »
You hire a coach for amongst other reasons their foresight. Wallace showed none and we paid the price. It is all well and good saying this now but why wasn't it raised at the time. What he is saying is not mind blowing. It is common sense. Good recruiters can pick good talent.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 01:14:57 PM »
had to laugh at the time after 2 years into the 5 years contract that Terry had then lost the plot , although the club wanted to honor the remainding 3 years. The $600,000 a year paid to Wallet could of been used elsewhere.
Clubs fault, not Wallet.

We were winning 50% of our games after two years and he'd lost the plot? What the stuff happened to him in the next 3 then :lol

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 01:31:03 PM »
The Wallace guy, the 'list mangler', he sounds like he knows a lot about AFL footy, if Hardwick doesn't work out, we should seriously look at getting him. He's ahead of his time....  :rollin
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

jackstar is back again

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »
Clubs fault, not Wallet.

We were winning 50% of our games after two years and he'd lost the plot? What the eff happened to him in the next 3 then :lol

The first year under Terry was a good year, last game of the year against West Coast when Embley kicked 4 goals a nd we just got beaten cost us finals by memory.
Half way through year 2 , cracks appeared and the wheels fell off,

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 02:43:50 PM »
The Wallace guy, the 'list mangler', he sounds like he knows a lot about AFL footy, if Hardwick doesn't work out, we should seriously look at getting him. He's ahead of his time....  :rollin

LOL  ;D

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
As much as i hate TW, he is right.

The coaches can only do so much with what they are given in terms of players. We have recruited terribly and it has cost us big time.
He only mentioned '04 and '05 in his article but IMO it hasn't gotten much better.

Wrote this in another thead last week- if you take out our first round picks since '04 (Lids, Cotch, Jack, Martin and Vickory, as i think this is the easiest pick to get right)      and you take out the 3 new guys from this year (Conca, Helbig, Batch, which we have to play because we need to see what they are like)       then only 3 other players from 30 or so other draft picks since '04 played last week against Collingwood.    (Edwards, Nahas, and Astbury)

I know a few find this boring but if we just close our eyes to it, then it will not get any better.