Author Topic: Pick 6 now guaranteed  (Read 16699 times)

Con65

Re: Pick 6 now guaranteed
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »
Smokey...correct me if I am wrong but draft picks were affected....we lost a priority pick after round 1

We ended the season on 5.5 wins by beating melbourne...4.5 wins would have got us a priority pick after round 1 and possibly a Ryan Bastinac...

The win was meaningless in 09...and even more meaningless in 10 given the huge change to the list - as you know mcmahon the matchwinner is likely to be delisted, cousins is retired polo is likely to be delisted...so what was that win for?

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2010, 07:09:02 PM »
Smokey...correct me if I am wrong but draft picks were affected....we lost a priority pick after round 1

We ended the season on 5.5 wins by beating melbourne...4.5 wins would have got us a priority pick after round 1 and possibly a Ryan Bastinac...

The win was meaningless in 09...and even more meaningless in 10 given the huge change to the list - as you know mcmahon the matchwinner is likely to be delisted, cousins is retired polo is likely to be delisted...so what was that win for?
Wrong, it's 4 wins.  Nothing more.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2010, 07:24:58 PM »

Wrong, it's 4 wins.  Nothing more.
Yep, sorry Con, you're wrong
We lost the PP by beating Essendon

The only thing beating Melbourne did was allow them to beat Freo and still get 1 & 2

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2010, 08:10:21 PM »
Smokey...on one of the footy shows last night...might have been classifieds..they put up Nort Melbourne's youngsters with the pick they were selected...there were only a couple on the list that were a single digit....Liam Anthony was taken at pick 43 (i think) being after the pick we gave Port for Adam Thomson...

This year, look at Astbury...taken in the 30s from memory..good footballer and a great debut season by all accounts...

You dont need to tank like Carlton to develop a good list...Aside from 2009 when melbourne wanted scully and trengrove they didnt tank...but built up their list with astute picks...just like north...

But if you want to keep getting flogged each week...and develop the mindset that we are losers...just to get a higher pick...then go for it...I dont buy it though...this year the wins meant something to the group...remember it was a young group we fielded week in week out

:lol at con trying to convince smokey you don't need to tank  ;D
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2010, 10:08:57 PM »
Smokey...on one of the footy shows last night...might have been classifieds..they put up Nort Melbourne's youngsters with the pick they were selected...there were only a couple on the list that were a single digit....Liam Anthony was taken at pick 43 (i think) being after the pick we gave Port for Adam Thomson...

This year, look at Astbury...taken in the 30s from memory..good footballer and a great debut season by all accounts...

You dont need to tank like Carlton to develop a good list...Aside from 2009 when melbourne wanted scully and trengrove they didnt tank...but built up their list with astute picks...just like north...

But if you want to keep getting flogged each week...and develop the mindset that we are losers...just to get a higher pick...then go for it...I dont buy it though...this year the wins meant something to the group...remember it was a young group we fielded week in week out

Good heavens...don't...mind..full...stops....?

:cheers :rollin

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2010, 11:13:28 PM »
...I thought the win over melbourne last year was meaningless...it didnt mean a lot to the playing list...crickey...13 changes to the list meant one third of the list that enjoyed that win aint with us now...and did Jordie say...hey I deserve a game in 2010 because I won us the game against the Dees....Nope...I believe that we would have been better off getting picks 3 (melbourne would have found a way to lose to Freo and still get picks 1 and 2)...and 19 and 20 and hence picked up Ben Griffiths and Ryan Bastinac
This is a loop tape going around again.
If we'd lost against Melbourne we still wouldn't have had pick 20 because we already had too many points to be eligible for the priority pick.

The win was a ripper and cost us absolutely nothing except the enjoyment of a win.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2010, 11:14:56 PM »
Agreed, Forbesy. :thumbsup

Hope Josh Green is around for our 3rd pick.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2010, 07:35:38 AM »

The win was a ripper and cost us absolutely nothing except the enjoyment of a win.

Yep, exactly what I was dragging out FF.  You can't pick and choose what win is credible and what win is meaningless, regardless of where you are in your football development cycle.  Every single player and every single coach learns something from every single win, loss or draw and if they don't it's time to depart.  But you learn nothing except bad habits from trying to manipulate the outcomes of games for a perceived benefit that some tanking theorists swing between seeing as important to not important.  Just like deciding what win is credible and what win is meaningless when viewed in the hindsight of season's end.  I just couldn't help myself when it was stated that a slight difference in the order of a 2nd round pick was a "massive difference" yet any of 2 wins this year that cost us not only a few places in the order this year but a whole new pick high up in that order as well, were not viewed as meaningless.  Suddenly, because it suited the emotion generated by our improvement across so many areas as this season unfolded, every win became "credible" and the picks became less relevant!  I was bemused at how the arguments for tanking had suddenly become clouded when it suited.  ;)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2010, 09:08:48 AM »
I am sad now.  I am going to dress up in my samwise outfit and read my klingon dictionary.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2010, 09:12:10 AM »
I am sad now.  I am going to dress up in my samwise outfit and read my klingon dictionary.

Sorry, babe. I'll come over with my LOTR sword to cheer you up. :shh :lol

gerkin greg

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »
you two pedos need to get your heads read

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
What your club wants (afl site)
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2010, 11:43:57 AM »
What your club wants
By Paul Daffey
Wed 01 September, 2010

Richmond (pick 6)

Needs: For all their poor performances on the field in the past two years, the Tigers have been kicking goals in their list management. There are no particular holes. They’ll simply go for the best players available.

Possibilities: Maybe they could consider a back-up ruckman for their first pick such as South Australian Daniel Gorringe at No.6. Hard-running, gutsy midfielder Shaun Atley, from the Murray Bushrangers, would be a decent choice at No.6. Maybe even Kieran Harper of the Eastern Ranges could go that high on the strength of one cracking game at the under-18 championships.

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2010, 11:47:20 AM »
I keep hearing Atley's name.  He might be the one!

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2010, 12:39:32 PM »
you two pedos need to get your heads read

:cuddles

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2010, 01:02:30 PM »
Next time I drop acid I'm just gonna log in and stare at your avatar for a while Davey  :eyebrow
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos