Author Topic: Chopped Liver  (Read 754 times)

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Chopped Liver
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:45:54 AM »
Do you feel sorry for him?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-27/mark-chopper-read-has-cancer/3975232

Infamous criminal Mark "Chopper" Read has revealed he has terminal cancer.

"Looks like the big C has finally bitten. Let's see how we go," he said on his Twitter account.

"I actually feel OK. Some more surgery in a couple of weeks and hopefully I'll be ready to rock 'n' roll after that."

The 58-year-old earlier tweeted: "Sorry I haven't been tweeting of late. Have been spending a bit of time in hospital for my liver."

The former standover man told News Limited he has liver cancer, saying he may live for up to six years but has just weeks to live in a worst-case scenario.

Read also said he was not afraid to die and blamed former criminal associate Jimmy Loughnan for ruining any chance of a liver transplant.

Read said Loughnan stabbed him nine times in a prison fight in 1979 and he now has too much scar tissue around his liver to enable the operation.

In 2009 Read told the ABC he had contracted liver cirrhosis but was refusing a transplant.

"I'm not going to ask for a liver transplant, it's not fair," he said.

"I'm 55 years old. I'm not going to put my name down against some 10-year-old kid."

He also said he had contracted hepatitis C in prison through a blood-stained shaver.

Read, who was portrayed by Eric Bana in the 2000 film Chopper, has spent 23 years in jail for crimes including armed robbery, assault and kidnapping.

In the past, the bestselling author has claimed to have killed several people.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Chopped Liver
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Do you feel sorry for him?
You don't wish cancer on anyone so there's some empathy on that front. Having said that he wouldn't have shown empathy in his life as a crim and thug so he won't be missed.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd