Author Topic: Who are our genuine A-graders?  (Read 7915 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Who are our genuine A-graders?
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2013, 09:05:38 PM »
If we can sort out our entry into the forward 50 play this year then Jack (barring injury) will find it much easier to be at his best. Last year we had more often than not more inside 50s than our opponents but couldn't make the most of it. Being the sole target most of the time made it easier for defenders to peel off and double team Jack. Last year Vickery had stuffed shoulders and the alternate 2nd bananas were Miller and McGuane - enough said :help. Jack is an A-grader but even A-graders can find it more difficult if they're carrying injuries and there's no support around then.

Cotch and Lids are our other A-graders IMO.
Great post MT.  :thumbsup
I agree.
Jack will play better with some decent support up forward. And if you have another decent option defenders are reluctant to leave them to help spoil Jack.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2013, 10:29:14 PM »

Why would a poor side like Port let an A grade defender with great leadership leave for free? And why would someone with great leadership lose his spot in the leadership group? What makes you think he's close to A grade? Not having a crack, just genuinely interested in your thoughts on him.

Fair points Coach but he was a free agent so it was easier for him to go. Obviously, Port decided that what the RFC were offering $$ wise was over the odds and they were not prepared to match it. Then again perhaps they couldn't afford to match it seeing they needed to keep Boak and gave him very big $$.

And not doubting you but I didn't know he was no longer in their leadership group. All reports were he was in the leadership group in 2012

Their leadership group was Cassisi, Boak, Hartlett, Schulz & Trengove. Chaplin no where near it. In fact, he may have even been removed after the 2010 season. But either way, he was not in their 2012 group. What reports have said he was in the LG last year?

Being an A Grader is why Axle got a 3 year contract   :thumbsup 

Chappy got a 4 year deal. A+?

You dont think Chapman is an A grader?  i do hes a fantastic player.

Oops, a slip of the mind.. reverting to semantics. hmmm.. Still stands though,  He's an A grade defender with great leadership.

Why would a poor side like Port let an A grade defender with great leadership leave for free? And why would someone with great leadership lose his spot in the leadership group? What makes you think he's close to A grade? Not having a crack, just genuinely interested in your thoughts on him.

Coleman medal.
Lowest Tally since 1975

Jack played them all.......

As of end of round 23

Jack Rewind    - 65 goals - Missed 0 matches
Taylor Walker - 63  goals - Missed 5 matches
Matthew Pavlich - 62 goals - Missed 1 match
Tom Hawkins  - 62 goals  - Missed 1 match
Lance Franklin - 59 goals - Missed 5 matches

Winning the Coleman has no supporting eveidence in the argument of Jack being an "A LISTER"

Quite the contrary, actually.

Having said that, i hope he can take a step toward being one in 2013.

Jack won the coleman, didnt even have a very good year, finished ahead of every other reputed forward in the game, no i suppose it means nothing.  :huhMaybe you re being abstract , i get it, donald trump has more money than me but im richer than him... :thumbsup

Do you have a problem with reading? The 4 players below him would have kicked more goals than him if they had played as many games. I guess every forward that kicked more than 27 goals in 95 is better than Rick.

Chaps left because we sounded him out earlier in the season and put a very good proposal to him.  Port are no good and will need to rebuild. Tiges are finals bound and on the up. No brainer why he left really.  iirc Port fought pretty hard to keep him but he'd made up his mind and wanted to leave.  Port have no money and will need to invest in juniors.

He's known to be very vocal and a general of the backline, he is a great match up for mobile forwards as he reads the play really well. He is a very good kick and makes good decisions.. He is one of the leading backman in the comp.

Look to be honest i wouldn't say he's an A grader as such, but he is an A grade backman

Port didn't fight hard to keep him at all. They could have easily matched our offer. You'll find that they don't really mind that he is gone. Carlile and Trengove are better players and they've got in a young kid from GWS who will play 3rd tall. Looking for the future instead of relying on a guy who has proven he will probably never play at the same standard each week. Obviously we think different so hopefully he plays a big part in our push for finals. Not anywhere near A grade at anything though. I don't think you've ever seen him play if you think "he's a very good kick and makes good decisions". And a leading defender of the comp? You've described a Presti that can kick in your post

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2013, 07:06:58 AM »
I really believe Martin can be an A grade player. He clearly has the potential to be one. I hope this season he puts in the effort and is rewarded for his efforts.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2013, 07:21:29 AM »

Their leadership group was Cassisi, Boak, Hartlett, Schulz & Trengove. Chaplin no where near it. In fact, he may have even been removed after the 2010 season. But either way, he was not in their 2012 group. What reports have said he was in the LG last year?

IIRC the media reports when he was looking at leaving via FA - sure all of them said he was in the Power's leadership group
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2013, 07:47:07 AM »
Coach come on you need to get facts right

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/port-adelaide-announces-seven-man-leadership-group-for-2011/story-e6frf9jf-1225963417978

The pair are joined in the Power’s leadership group by captain Dom Cassisi, Dean Brogan, Troy Chaplin, Alipate Carlile and Travis Boak.

Just a quote from the article,, 

As far as not fighting hard they held out till the last day before letting him go. They tried everything. Then when he did leave they came out and said he had a very bad knee and they had a very good offer in front of him all season but he woudnt budge on it (wanted to leave)

meh you're just arguing for the sake of it,  Presti?? ffs a dinosaur that wouldnt get a game these days. i agree with you on the wait and see. He did have surgery so he could go either way. Good or bad.  we'll wait and see

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2013, 08:06:11 AM »
Yeah that's their 2011 Leadership Group, guy. Did Dean Brogan play for Port in 2012?  :lol Don't tell me to get facts right when you have probably seen this guy play once or twice  :lol
Hahahahahaha they tried everything. They have plenty of room in their cap (I know this for a fact so don't even try) and they could have easily matched our offer. They didn't match it because they know he's not someone who can be relied upon to play consistently well all season. Sure, they'd be happy to still have him on their list but not on a 4 year deal because they have players who will be better than he is in a couple of years.
Presti wouldn't get a game. I have heard it all now. Troy Chaplin is a better player than Presti was. You have talked Chaplin up as an A grade defender with great leadership, very good kicking and decision making. Like I said, we must have a Presti that can kick and win plenty of footy

gerkin greg

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2013, 09:16:33 AM »
Port was on the edge of their cap Coach, which was why they were happy to offload the Chapstick

This is a fact.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »
That's not true and you know it.

gerkin greg

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2013, 10:13:31 AM »
No, "We have historically run pretty close to the limit, we have actually got some space now given we traded out quite a bit of experience last year" CEO Ken Thomas

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2013, 10:16:02 AM »
No, "We have historically run pretty close to the limit, we have actually got some space now given we traded out quite a bit of experience last year" CEO Ken Thomas

;D

Historically doesn't mean 2013. They have space in their cap and could have easily matched our offer. Your quote proves that

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2013, 10:18:29 AM »

;D

Historically doesn't mean 2013. They have space in their cap and could have easily matched our offer. Your quote proves that

Having space in their cap doesn't necessarily equate to being able to match our offer.  The club is in dire financial straits and can't afford to spend the whole cap even if it wanted too.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2013, 10:20:21 AM »

;D

Having space in their cap doesn't necessarily equate to being able to match our offer.  The club is in dire financial straits and can't afford to spend the whole cap even if it wanted too.

Oh, but they have been paying close to the limit historically. ;) They could have matched the offer. I reckon they could fork out 1.2 mil over 4 years.

gerkin greg

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2013, 10:23:37 AM »
they were close to the edge yes?
they were happy to offload chappy to get some wriggle room yes?
what dont you get here coach?

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »
what dont you get here coach?

I don't get why you offload an A grade defender with great leadership, skills & decision making when you can easily match the offer due to offloading Pearcey's, Surjan's and Salopek's contracts. That offer could have been matched easily. You know it, I know it. So why didn't they want to keep Mr A Grade?

You have disappointed me, Greg. I thought you knew me better after 20 stuffen years

gerkin greg

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »
because he's not A-grade you  :wallywink

show me where I said that moron

the geniuses down at Alberton thought they'd spend his salary on an A-grader in Monfries  :whistle