Author Topic: Mykelti Lefau [merged]  (Read 12069 times)

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Mykelti Lafau [merged]
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2024, 01:26:01 PM »
Gez some people so unrealistic here his basically holding our forward line together as the obmnly tall mind you new to the game.His doing his job , will be better when Balta returns and a Ryan next to him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2024, 11:08:51 PM »
FIVE-GAME FORWARD THAT’S WON OVER ONE OF AFL’S GREATEST GOALKICKERS

He’s only played five AFL games after signing a Richmond contract just over two months ago.

But Mykelti Lefau already has the next Australian Football Hall of Fame legend firmly on his bandwagon.

Lefau, 25, was signed by the Tigers as a rookie late in the pre-season supplemental selection period after impressing as part of the VFL program across the past two seasons.

He’s already kicked seven goals from five games – including 3.2 from 12 disposals and eight marks against West Coast in Round 5 – but it’s his physical presences that caught the eye of four-time premiership Hawk and legendary full-forward Jason Dunstall on Wednesday night.

While many of his teammates were sloppy with ball in-hand, Lefau impressed with his competitiveness and footy nous, booting one goal from nine disposals against Melbourne while also competing well in the ruck.

“I know they didn’t help their forwards, but can I just say from a Tigers perspective – I like the look of Lefau,” Dunstall told Fox Footy post-game.

“This is a guy that’s a competitor, he has a thirst for the contest, and he did a couple of clever things (against Melbourne). He doesn’t mind tackling or doing the hard stuff either.

“I think he’s a really good prospect going forward.”

Fellow Fox Footy pundit David King pointed out there were several occasions where Lefau was on a straight-line lead to the kicker but was ignored by his teammates – much to Dunstall’s frustration.

“He presents brilliantly and he’s giving them what they need,” Dunstall said. “I guess they’re used to ‘I see Dusty, I’ll kick it to Dusty, even if he’s not in the best position’. But I think this young man can make a real go of it.”

Lefau on Wednesday night was a rare bright spot on a tough night for the Tigers, whose season already appears all but over before May, but are contending with a lengthy injury list as well.

The Tigers have been battling to field a competitive side in recent weeks with Jayden Short (calf), Tom Lynch (hamstring), Tim Taranto (wrist), Dion Prestia (hamstring), Noah Balta (knee), Jack Ross (foot) and Josh Gibcus (knee) all unavailable and now Jacob Hopper (hamstring) set for a stint on the sidelines.

But the opportunity those big-name absentees are giving some of Richmond’s Tiger cubs has made coach Adem Yze optimistic.

“I’m envisaging six weeks’ time when we get a lot of our players back. The selection is going to be really hard based on what our young players are showing,” Yze said on Wednesday.

“They’re getting opportunity through adversity and to watch Thomson Dow today (against Melbourne) play against a quality midfield felt like he took a step forward in his career.

“Seth Campbell is getting opportunities, Maurice Rioli Jnr — he looks powerful, he looks dangerous around goals.

“So, the more that we can give those guys opportunity, which we have to right now, the future’s going to be bright for them when we get everyone back available.

“There is a silver lining the fact they’re getting an opportunity. Tom Brown is taking his game step by step.”

During a dynasty period where Richmond benefited largely from the play of its small-forward brigade, Lefau brings a bulldozing, mid-sized element to a group that hasn’t sniffed one since Josh Caddy roamed Tigerland.

Arriving at Punt Road with a rugby league background, Lefau thirsts for contact. His ability to crash packs and bring balls to ground are traits that have been held in high regard by Tigers coaching staffs of years past.

Even when Tom Lynch eventually returns, you feel that Richmond’s Kiwi-born footy convert still has a place in Yze’s best side.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2024-round-7-talking-points-analysis-reaction-results-wrap-highlights-top-four-flag-contenders-st-kilda-trade-targets-brisbane-lions-problems/news-story/856c72903e671b1cb683475278cbcc65

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2024, 02:41:40 PM »
Probably wont happen this year given our record with injuries but later iin the year Lynch Balta if they play him forward  and Lefau
Look pretty likely.
Just need to find a few quality small forwards who kick goals.

Shame in a way all the injuries if we had, a few talls up and running forward, then we could have tried Lefau as a big mid given all the injuries we have copped there.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2024, 06:34:40 PM »
Probably wont happen this year given our record with injuries but later iin the year Lynch Balta if they play him forward  and Lefau
Look pretty likely.

Shame in a way all the injuries if we had, a few talls up and running forward, then we could have tried Lefau as a big mid given all the injuries we have copped there.
Coultard looks likely if they ever play him

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2024, 10:32:50 AM »
Can we change the typo in this thread? Lefau as opposed to Lafau

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Mykelti Lefau [merged]
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2024, 11:55:03 AM »

Done
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2024, 12:54:19 PM »
Look pretty likely.

If (big if)the on ball brigade is fully fit, then maybe Shai Bolton or Liam Baker can spend more time forward and be that small forward.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2024, 01:54:16 PM »
Lafamao
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2024, 03:07:45 PM »
Look pretty likely.

If (big if)the on ball brigade is fully fit, then maybe Shai Bolton or Liam Baker can spend more time forward and be that small forward.

Shai i can understand he is an A grade fwd but is so badly needed in the midfield even if all mids were fit.
Big no to Baker playing forward. Just is not a forward at this level. Only taking games away from the likes of Clarke, Coulthard, M Rioli Cumberland.
 Its exactly what we have done for years and continue to do, we  wonder why no small fwds are developing.

By the way can we keep the typo i like it makes me feel at home.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 09:44:44 PM by the claw »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #114 on: Yesterday at 05:00:53 PM »
Probably gunna win the club goal kicking in his first year by default with less than 30 goals.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: Yesterday at 11:24:57 PM »
Probably gunna win the club goal kicking in his first year by default with less than 30 goals.... :shh
Mabe right. Thing is each game he keeps getting better. Should ot be asked every week to carry the forward half as a tall. FFS lets get some help in there for him.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #116 on: Today at 12:20:43 AM »
Yep. He’s doing pretty well against the odds.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #117 on: Today at 12:58:38 AM »
1. TIGERS SORELY LACKING OFFENCE... BUT THEY MIGHT HAVE THEIR NEXT ‘CHAMPION’

With dual-premiership spearhead Tom Lynch and versatile Tiger Noah Balta injured, scoring was always going to be a challenge for the Tigers against a defensive-minded side.

Shai Bolton is the Tigers’ leading goalkicker for the season, but he failed to touch the footy in the first term in a setback to Richmond’s hopes against a rival not renowned for quick starts.

Richmond’s score to half-time of 1.7 (13) is the lowest Fremantle has ever conceded to a rival in the matches they have played at the MCG.

But Mykelti Lefau, the New Zealander who has proven a big hit in his first season as a mature-age recruit, demonstrated his potential yet again in another good performance.

Prior to the first bounce, Balta was full of praise for Lefau, who has played just six games.

“Mykelti in the VFL last year, we had a chance to pick him up, but unfortunately he tore his ACL and didn’t end up as our mid-season draft pick,” Balta said on SEN Radio.

“He is a champion, mate. I feel like everyone is just starting to realise what a champion he actually is. The strength that he has … when the ball is in his hands, no-one can tackle him.

“He is a natural. He has the talent for it and if he can get the game smarts for it, which he is learning … he is going to be a champion.”

Pitted against Fremantle captain Alex Pearce, Lefau conceded height, weight and experience.

But he started extremely well and was a factor throughout for the Tigers when kicking two of Richmond’s six goals.

“That is maybe the best defender in the game right now in Alex Pearce, who has been absolutely outstanding, and Mykelti Lefau has taken a mark on him … and kicked the first goal,” Fox Footy pundit Garry Lyon said.

“Alex Pearce is the All-Australian fullback. He has been so good. He has kept (Ben) McKay goalless, (Tex) Walker goalless, (Nick) Larkey to one goal. He is averaging 14 possessions per game.

“Lefau has effectively played on him the whole game and he has kicked two goals. He has kept Alex Pearce to just seven possessions and four marks.

“It has been one of the fantastic three quarters by an undermanned, undersized player against a modern-day leviathan and he has done an enormous job.”

Balta, meanwhile, expects to return next week against the Western Bulldogs after missing the last four weeks after injuring a medial ligament.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/live-afl-scores-2024-richmond-tigers-vs-fremantle-dockers-round-8-updates-stats-blog-start-time-teams-how-to-stream-news/news-story/59dccf05ac8185b6afba1b7cc629e237