Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 293308 times)

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1320 on: May 19, 2019, 08:59:00 PM »
We tackled someone today and 8 players stopped because they knew it was HTB yet it got called olay on... WTF!

That has happened in a number of games I have watched over the last month.

It underlines just how bad the umpiring is in general at the moment. These are professional footballers who are trained from their first footy game to play to the umpires whistle. And yet even they concede when a really obvious free kick should be paid and stop to wait for the umpire, who doesn't call it.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #1321 on: May 19, 2019, 09:17:25 PM »
There is a bias towards certain teams
We ain’t one of them

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1322 on: May 20, 2019, 01:29:57 PM »
Umpire number 10 was disgraceful

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1323 on: May 20, 2019, 01:55:36 PM »
Mr Bean's lovechild.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1324 on: May 29, 2019, 01:46:06 PM »
Deliberate out of bounds free kicks
Round 10, 2019: 16 (4th highest recorded)
Richmond v Essendon, R10, 2019: 7 (2nd highest recorded)
Average per game R10, 2019: 1.77
Average per game per round 2017-R10, 2019: 0.5

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/snapshot-deliberate-and-not-so-deliberate-calls-at-dreamtime-20190528-p51rub.html

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1325 on: May 29, 2019, 03:09:18 PM »
Deliberate out of bounds free kicks
Round 10, 2019: 16 (4th highest recorded)
Richmond v Essendon, R10, 2019: 7 (2nd highest recorded)
Average per game R10, 2019: 1.77
Average per game per round 2017-R10, 2019: 0.5

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/snapshot-deliberate-and-not-so-deliberate-calls-at-dreamtime-20190528-p51rub.html
I think the umps missed that it was a wet and very slippery night.
They should have given the benefit of the doubt to the players in some of those 7.
No game sense most of those muppets.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #1326 on: May 29, 2019, 03:26:58 PM »
I reckon 1, maybe 2, of those frees were actually there. Mindboggling
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1327 on: May 29, 2019, 03:39:38 PM »
I reckon 1, maybe 2, of those frees were actually there. Mindboggling

problem is the dumb stuffers made some calls early and then had to be consistent on the crap calls

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1328 on: June 01, 2019, 12:53:34 AM »
What an absolute stuffing blight on the game Rayzor is..the .idiot seriously thinks he's part of the entertainment..joke that he's umpired 298 matches...hope they fho for good one short of his 300th... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1329 on: June 01, 2019, 01:16:08 AM »
I couldn't believe Razor copped a footy to the cods!  I mean, I didn't realize it was even possible to hit such a small target with such a large footy ...    :-\
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #1330 on: June 01, 2019, 08:26:20 AM »
What an absolute stuffing blight on the game Rayzor is..the .idiot seriously thinks he's part of the entertainment..joke that he's umpired 298 matches...hope they fho for good one short of his 300th... :shh

Putting Mics on these guys was the worst thing. They have made them part of the game and the entertainment.  Upires feel the have to be more involved in the game now. It rubbish. I would also say that the balance between what forwards can do an what backs can do seems to be getting worse.A free is a free where ever it occurs. Some of the stuff that towards do to sheppard a goal through is ridiculous.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1331 on: June 01, 2019, 10:01:35 AM »
People don't wonder why Naish isn't in the side ?.It's because of his defence efforts so don't think we're going to gain that with him in the side.

People harping on about Balta,Garth,Soldo last night etc our kids all less then 12 games there the least of our issues you going to get the ups and downs.Every single loss this year was a failure of our senior players switching off big time maybe besides 1 or 2 senior players like last night Dusty,Houli and Cotch at times the rest were coasting around.That's the real issue not the kids who have at times been carrying them.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1332 on: June 01, 2019, 11:12:35 AM »
Does anyone not believe the AFL don’t instruct their umpires to give poo sides like Norf, after what has happened the past week a good run with the decisions. For me it’s as clear as day.

I thought last nights umpiring was as bad as I had seen it this year against us
Especially in the first half.
Just 2 completely different interpretations for the two sides.
The numbers don’t show it but like always it’s not the ones they necessarily pay, it’s the ones they don’t pay, and it’s where they get paid.
Ben Brown gots some really easy ones last night, none easier than the one with Grimes in the second half where their arms were just tangled.

I’m usually at most games and you miss a lot of the decisions because you are just too far away to see them all properly, and when you watch the reply you know the result so you are not as into it as you are watching it live. But last night watching it live on the TV I wanted to break something.
The holding the ball against Broad where he bounced the ball and it didn’t come back to him and he was tackled was one of the worst. My 75” TV nearly wore the remote control.

I just wish our club would ask for a please explain occasionally through the media so the umpires are put on notice the following week and keep doing it until things change.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1333 on: June 01, 2019, 11:20:35 AM »
How about the one where Broad got pinged for HTB when ball was under the Norf player's arse... :huh

...and don't get the started on the Simpkins goal... >:(
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1334 on: June 01, 2019, 11:24:29 AM »
Can anyone remember a time when the umpiring was so bad?

You used to hold your breath when a pack formed waiting to see if the umpire would pay holding the ball. Now you hold your breath at nearly every whistle wondering which way it will go.

And how bad is it when on about 6 occasions the players have stopped in anticipation of a holding the ball and the umpires are the only ones who think it wasn’t?

pee the new rules/ interpretations off, get back to basics and watch the umpiring improve ten fold.