Author Topic: We’re not done yet, warns Tiger backman (Herald-Sun)  (Read 356 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
We’re not done yet, warns Tiger backman (Herald-Sun)
« on: June 30, 2019, 12:07:32 PM »
We’re not done yet, warns Tiger backman

Nick Smart,
Sunday Herald Sun
June 30, 2019

Returning Richmond defender David Astbury has warned opposition sides his Tigers will “cause a few headaches” between now and September.

The Tigers have dropped outside the eight on the back of three successive losses, which has led to many writing off their premiership hopes.

But Astbury, who returns from injury against St Kilda at Marvel Stadium today, warned experts and opponents they underestimated the 2017 premiers at your own peril.

“It’s a bit clichéd that you have to do it week upon week, but we still feel we can match it with the best sides in the AFL,” he said.

“We’re a bit of a different look to what we have been the past few years, but we still feel like we’re going to cause a few headaches in the back half of the year.”

Astbury is one of seven inclusions for the Tigers today, including skipper Trent Cotchin.

“It would have been interesting for St Kilda doing ‘oppo’ this week as it is a bit of a different look, but I’m very much looking forward to being back,” Astbury said.

The 2017 premiership defender has preferred to look at the positives of his side’s long injury list, which he said had unearthed the next generation at Tigerland.

“Through the adversity we’ve faced through injury it’s also given an opportunity for young players to express at the top level and to show their strength,” he said.

“That’s been a real positive and almost a silver lining.

“The last couple of weeks we’ve just come up against quality opponents and we haven’t been able to get it down.

“But particularly in the game against Adelaide I think our youth really took a step forward, and I’m really looking forward to getting back and playing with some of those players that I haven’t played so much with before and getting around them and feeding off their enthusiasm.”

Astbury said Richmond was proud to be a part of Maddie’s Match, which will be played for the fourth time today.

“I love the initiative of the different colours and purple was Maddie’s favourite colour, and it signifies a huge game and it’s massive on our calendar,” he said.

“I do feel like year on year it’s getting bigger.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/david-astbury-says-richmond-still-a-force-to-be-reckoned-with/news-story/eeaed11bae4409c529d23b589a3b103a