Author Topic: Draft day hypothetical  (Read 1071 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Draft day hypothetical
« on: December 07, 2007, 12:31:55 PM »
Was thinking back on draft day where we spent almost the full 4 minutes to split Rance and Selwood and wondered how difficult it would be if McEvoy had slipped

So i put it to you, if both were available at 18, would you draft a ruckman in McEvoy or key defender in Rance

cheers  :gotigers

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: Draft day hypothetical
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 01:53:14 PM »
Bluey I went for Rance who IMO fills a far greater need for us at present. With Angus and Patto coming through, the ruck is not too bad but our backline really needs some physical presence.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 01:58:28 PM »
my only concern with the ruck is that we need a genuine tap ruckman who is not not useless around the ground.

patto is essentially tall mid who can contest the ruck. graham is still very raw and while could be very good in the ruck doesn't do a great deal around the ground ala mark blake.

that for me is the rance vs mcevoy conondrum.

but as you said the recruitment of putt and potential recruiting of another ruck in teh rookie draft relieves some pressure in the division so rance would be preferable as a strong body down back

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 02:28:59 PM »
Without hindsight you'd probably go with the ruck/tall forward in McEvoy but I'm more than happy to have picked up Rance. What's more picking up a ruck at 18 would've meant we wouldn't have chosen Putt at 51 and then it would've been in the lap of the gods as to who we picked up with our last pick. The way it's actually worked out meant we were able to secure both a key defender and ruckman which is what we needed.

my only concern with the ruck is that we need a genuine tap ruckman who is not not useless around the ground.
Double negative = Knobel lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 02:57:40 PM »
Double negative = Knobel lol.

doh  :banghead lol

and with the rance vs mcevoy, not debating if we took the right person cause hell mcevoy wasn't available but would have thought that it would have made for interesting viewing if both an elite ruck and key defender were available considering our deficiences in both areas

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 03:19:22 PM »
and with the rance vs mcevoy, not debating if we took the right person cause hell mcevoy wasn't available but would have thought that it would have made for interesting viewing if both an elite ruck and key defender were available considering our deficiences in both areas
If we had kept pick 19 in this hypothetical we could have had both  ;).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd