Author Topic: Shaun Hampson / Hammertime [merged]  (Read 313373 times)

gerkin greg

Re: Shaun Hampson Officially a Tiger
« Reply #345 on: October 10, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »
the big if is if he can stay on the park

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #346 on: October 10, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »
the big if is if he can stay on the park
Due to form or injury  ;D

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #347 on: October 10, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »
Our big coup in landing Hampson is looking laughable now when compared to Hawthorn's effort in getting a bonafide star ruckman in McEvoy to their club.
 We rushed into the Hampson deal and got screwed over. Maybe next year our first target should be to get Hawthorn's list manger to the tiges ?
 We're getting our pants pulled down off the field at the moment.
 North hires top gun Geoff Walsh and the highly regarded Leigh Tudor and Cameron Ling and look like getting Dal Santo for sweet FA

We have a hung board split between Speed and O'Shannessy. We can't decide and want to avoid factions so we've whacked some chick nobody's ever heard of into the presidency , then first thing she does is hire some other bird I've never heard of onto the board.
The players will be wearing netball bibs next year.
 Next we hire St.Failure's reserves player Andrew McQualter to the coaching staff.
Andrew who ??

Now where is that bex. I really need a lie down

Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #348 on: October 10, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »
Our big coup in landing Hampson is looking laughable now when compared to Hawthorn's effort in getting a bonafide star ruckman in McEvoy to their club.
 We rushed into the Hampson deal and got screwed over. Maybe next year our first target should be to get Hawthorn's list manger to the tiges ?
 North hires top gun Geoff Walsh and the highly regarded Leigh Tudor and Cameron Ling and look like getting Dal Santo for sweet FA

We have a hung board split between Speed and O'Shannessy. We can't decide and want to avoid factions so we've whacked some chick nobody's ever heard of into the presidency , then first thing she does is hire some other bird I've never heard of onto the board.
 Next we hire St.Failure's reserves player Andrew McQualter to the coaching staff.
Andrew who ??

We are not in a position to trade like Hawthorn did today. Think of it this way, Savage was on the verge of going to Carlton for the pick 28 we gave for Hampson.

Hawks used Savage (pick 28) and their first rounder (17) to secure McEvoy.

Our only equivalent to this would have been to trade pick 11 + 28 for McEvoy. I've got the feeling this place would have gone into meltdown.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #349 on: October 10, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »

Andrew who ??

We are not in a position to trade like Hawthorn did today. Think of it this way, Savage was on the verge of going to Carlton for the pick 28 we gave for Hampson.

Our only equivalent to this would have been to trade pick 11 + 28 for McEvoy. I've got the feeling this place would have gone into meltdown.

Correct, we're hardly having our pants pulled down when we have sweet FA to offer
It can only get better from here, we really need fringe player to really start stepping up and push for senior selection, only when this happens will we be able to start squeezing players out of the side and other sides will start hunting our players for once instead of us scratching about taking everyone else's sloppy seconds......

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #350 on: October 10, 2013, 12:02:40 PM »

Andrew who ??

Correct, we're hardly having our pants pulled down when we have sweet FA to offer
It can only get better from here, we really need fringe player to really start stepping up and push for senior selection, only when this happens will we be able to start squeezing players out of the side and other sides will start hunting our players for once instead of us scratching about taking everyone else's sloppy seconds......
Exactly  :cheers

gerkin greg

« Reply #351 on: October 10, 2013, 12:02:55 PM »
Apart from Brian Taylor and Luke Darcy, does anyone actually think McEvoy is any good? Reckon he's fairly overrated TBH.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #352 on: October 10, 2013, 12:05:41 PM »
Apart from Brian Taylor and Luke Darcy, does anyone actually think McEvoy is any good? Reckon he's fairly overrated TBH.

I agree, he can take a mark but he's very slow and has absolutely no tank.
His upside is still his age but he needs to pull his finger out in the fitness stakes, Hawthorns fast pace game plan will be challenging for big boy, especially next season...

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #353 on: October 10, 2013, 12:09:18 PM »

You gotta give something to get something. I'm sure we could've offered someone up that would've satsified St.Kilda. Fact is we didn't even try.
We're stuffing this off season up big time.
I stand by my post 100%

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #354 on: October 10, 2013, 12:11:24 PM »

I reckon he's good Gerk. Heaps better than Hampson at any rate.
It's not just that , it's everything we're doing off field atm.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #355 on: October 10, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »
I agree, he can take a mark but he's very slow and has absolutely no tank.
His upside is still his age but he needs to pull his finger out in the fitness stakes, Hawthorns fast pace game plan will be challenging for big boy, especially next season...

He's been pretty much a lone ruckman for them for years. Much like Goldstein at North so I reckon his tank is fine.

Anyhow it seems like the recruiting dept have run out of ideas once they realised they couldn't swindle Adelaide again this year. Crows have cottoned onto us after Tambling and Gus.

gerkin greg

« Reply #356 on: October 10, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
yeah dunno Dice, think he's nothing special, is on about $400k a year, and would have cost us our first round draft pick
we'll get a compo pick that will get us back into the second round, effectively getting hammer for free – or a swap for mcguane
dont really have any issues with the off-field stuff
maybe its the drugs – yours or mine i'm not sure  ;D

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #357 on: October 10, 2013, 12:21:57 PM »
I think he is a quality player. Last 2 seasons have been big steps in the right direction for him and he's still developing.

That said, would I trade pick 11 and pick 28 for him (before we acquired Hampson)? Answer is no, that is paying overs.

You gotta give something to get something. I'm sure we could've offered someone up that would've satsified St.Kilda. Fact is we didn't even try.
We're stuffing this off season up big time.
I stand by my post 100%
Of course you do, but it needs to be relative to what your requirements are. We still need to inject genuine talent into our list so trading pick 11 for anything other than a midfielder like Adams would have hurt us.

Hampson comes pretty cheap and can have an impact (yes, if fit) straight away. I think people look at his time at Carlton and think we will get the same performances. This is where I disagree. Carlton played him predominantly as a forward, whereas we want him in the ruck.

Not only is he a good tap ruckman, but he moves quite well for a big guy.

Also need to consider what this does to our structure. We will now be able to play 2 rucks and have 1 (Maric mainly) resting forward. Tyrone no longer has to 'pinch hit' in the ruck either so can focus solely on being a forward.

Riewoldt get's the best defender, Tyrone commands attention and a resting Maric/Hampson has who line up on him? We'll be extremely difficult to match up on now which is a massive positive, and for pick 28 we paid peanuts for it.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #358 on: October 10, 2013, 12:23:26 PM »
Throw in mcbean. The resting ruck man then gets the 4th tall...

:shh

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #359 on: October 10, 2013, 12:24:22 PM »
Throw in mcbean. The resting ruck man then gets the 4th tall...

:shh
:clapping