Author Topic: Shaun Hampson / Hammertime [merged]  (Read 313352 times)

tony_montana

Re: Shaun Hampson Officially a Tiger
« Reply #390 on: October 11, 2013, 07:00:12 AM »
Not just me. Here's what the bloke who recruited him to Hawthorn said today..

On McEvoy, Wright was understandably positive.
"Ben is a great addition to our list, and will complement our centre square unit extremely well," he said.

"He has elite endurance, is very strong overhead and is a high quality ruckman.
"

LOL,
quoting the guy responsible for trading him in.

What do you expect him to say?

Pretty crap endurance, drops plenty of puds and can't ruck for poo

Where do u get the idea that he has crap endurance?

tony_montana

« Reply #391 on: October 11, 2013, 07:02:22 AM »
The Hawks just keep on winning premierships don't they. How many flags did they have when we last won in 1980?

Best thing you've posted in ages... Hawks keep on winning flags but some or our supporters will sit there and argue they picked up a plodder.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #392 on: October 11, 2013, 08:20:16 AM »
No. The argument is would you be happy to give up a starting 22 player and or first pick for what hawthorn has gained.

tony_montana

« Reply #393 on: October 11, 2013, 08:33:30 AM »
Did I miss Savage starting in the GF?

The reason he's leaving is bc he couldn't get into their best 22.  pick 17 and a fringe player is not paying overs for a 24y/o ruckman who is very handy

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #394 on: October 11, 2013, 08:42:59 AM »

The reason he's leaving is bc he couldn't get into their best 22.  pick 17 and a fringe player is not paying overs for a 24y/o ruckman who is very handy

McEvoy was a shrewed pick up by Hawthorn, im not disputing that. what im saying isPick 11 and a player who is in our best 22 is overs especially when you already have a ruckman in exactly the same mould who will still be at the club for another couple of years.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #395 on: October 11, 2013, 08:48:46 AM »

Savage wasn't in their best 22, but he is better established player than any of the mids we have to offer not in our best 22.

We don't have the depth yet to pull out these sorts of trades. Still 1-2 years off that.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #396 on: October 11, 2013, 08:55:13 AM »

So would trade pick 11 for a kid like Adams who has played 20 odd games?

No, not unless it was part of a bigger deal involving other pick swaps but I would still be much more likely to consider that trade than pick 11 for McEvoy.  I rate the importance of quality midfielders higher than ruckmen - pure and simple.

But not give that pick for a ruckman who has played 90 odd games, a ruckman with excellent hands and a body to compete with any ruckman in the league. A ruckman that could play that position for the next 8 to 10 years.

McEvoy is  25 next July, he has 6 years max left - a 20 year old midfielder who has already shown he has above average attributes in his 20 odd games has at least 10 years left.

A ruckman that would have to be in the top 5 ruckman in the comp.

Mumford, Cox, Natanui, Jacobs, Hale, Goldstein, Lueunberger, Sandilands, Minson are all better ruckmen than McEvoy.  I rate him on a par with Maric, Pyke, Kruezer, Warnock, West, Ryder and in the next couple of years a number of young ruckmen are going to pass him - Giles, Smith, Grundy, Vardy, Clarke.

Yer not worth pick 11.

Nope, not even close.

dwaino

« Reply #397 on: October 11, 2013, 09:04:22 AM »
To be fair Savage would be starting 18 in almost any other side. Was stiff not to get a call up but Hawthorn bat deep and that's why they won a flag.

tony_montana

« Reply #398 on: October 11, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »

McEvoy was a shrewed pick up by Hawthorn, im not disputing that. what im saying isPick 11 and a player who is in our best 22 is overs especially when you already have a ruckman in exactly the same mould who will still be at the club for another couple of years.

I agree with that, pick 11 and a starting 22 player is overs for mine too - Im just sticking up for him as a player, don't like how some of our supporters start over compensating with the criticism. FWIW Im happy with hampson and think he'll fill a need and don't think we would have been able to get a deal done for McEvoy without using pick 12.

tony_montana

« Reply #399 on: October 11, 2013, 09:09:28 AM »

Savage wasn't in their best 22, but he is better established player than any of the mids we have to offer not in our best 22.

We don't have the depth yet to pull out these sorts of trades. Still 1-2 years off that.

agree, don't get me wrong Im not having a whinge that we should have gotten mcEvoy instead of hampson bc I don't think we are in a position to do that like you mentioned

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #400 on: October 11, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »

FWIW Im happy with hampson and think he'll fill a need and don't think we would have been able to get a deal done for McEvoy without using pick 12.

Agree TM and I don't think McEvoy brings enough to the table to warrant pick 12.  As it is, the "first round pick" the Saints are spruiking about will most likely end up being a 2nd rounder after compo picks are handed out and a 2nd rounder plus fringe player is about right for McEvoy imho.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #401 on: October 11, 2013, 09:15:49 AM »

I agree with that, pick 11 and a starting 22 player is overs for mine too - Im just sticking up for him as a player, don't like how some of our supporters start over compensating with the criticism. FWIW Im happy with hampson and think he'll fill a need and don't think we would have been able to get a deal done for McEvoy without using pick 12.

Fair enough, I have been fairly hard on him but only to justify he wasn't worth our first rounder. McEvoy is certainly a solid ruckman and he has plenty of room to improve but he does have his flaws  as well. Good luck to him and his career at Hawthorn he'd be pinching himself at them moment knowing he's managed to escape the Seaford hell hole!!

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #402 on: October 11, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
So if the Big O racked up 30 hit outs to Big Boy's 24 when we played them this season, doesn't that say something? Vickers also had 16 hit outs to Stanley's 6, So it completely baffles me how anyone would think McEvoy is worth anything close to Pick 11 when our second string Ruckman gives him a rogering in the hit outs.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #403 on: October 11, 2013, 10:50:24 AM »

No need to be a polesmoker

tony_montana

« Reply #404 on: October 11, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »

No need to be a polesmoker

pwn3d again mounopano