Author Topic: Shaun Hampson / Hammertime [merged]  (Read 313402 times)

the claw

Re: Shaun Hampson Officially a Tiger
« Reply #510 on: October 14, 2013, 10:34:09 PM »
I don't understand the angst.

Richmond identified a list weakness and addresse it.

did we???. i thought that was the crux of the debate. useing a good pick on a player with such a poor record over the last 7 yrs.its a legit  ask, have we addressed anything with hampson???
based on his 7 yrs its a bigger risk for us who arent pleased than useing pick 28 in the nd.

for those who are pleased they obviously think hamson is worth pick 28 and that pick 28 is worthless.

the claw

« Reply #511 on: October 14, 2013, 10:45:59 PM »
for those who defend this trade i have to ask.
tell me why its such a good trade based on performance stats and skills.does hampson after 7yrs tick any of these boxes.

just to finish. how many plauyers are there on team lists. lets say roughly 800. every yr we  get an influx of how many new faces?  100 players say!! it would be close give or take 10 or so.

so 70 80 odd of the new faces every yr comes thru the nd and we are turning our noses up at top 30 picks because they are apparently no good. unbelievable.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #512 on: October 14, 2013, 11:56:01 PM »
Claw

Who would you prefer in the ruck and why?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #513 on: October 15, 2013, 12:16:48 AM »
Answer seems to be longer, cause he is inferior currently and gets many less kicks, and would cost more
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:26:54 PM by Bentleigh-esque »

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #514 on: October 15, 2013, 09:11:46 AM »
tell me why its such a good trade based on performance stats and skills.does hampson after 7yrs tick any of these boxes.

just to finish. how many plauyers are there on team lists. lets say roughly 800. every yr we  get an influx of how many new faces?  100 players say!! it would be close give or take 10 or so.

so 70 80 odd of the new faces every yr comes thru the nd and we are turning our noses up at top 30 picks because they are apparently no good. unbelievable.

This trade is certainly a gamble Claw, but the Maric turnaround has given some cred to our recruitment and coaching staff when it comes to gambling on out of favour ruckman, so I'm sitting
on the wait and see side of things until he's played a few games. The Club had a need and fulfilled it. We needed a mature bodied ruckman to backup Maric and we got it. There are no ready to go ruckman in the draft and if there were, like NicNat and Kreuzer, they would go well before our first round pick.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #515 on: October 15, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »

Ok I'll have a nibble.
Firt of all I have not so much defended the trade, but argued that pick 30 odd is generally overvalued, so i dont belive that we have risked as much as some do.
I've put forward why i feel that way and if anyone can put forward a better method to quantify the value of the pick that does not rely on a subjective valuation of players, I'm all ears.

On Hampson, I haven't seen a lot of him to have formed a solid opinion either way, but from what I have, i do have concerns over his kicking. I wont get excited over what i have seen against us, where he has had some good performance, as it seems that half his highlights package is against us.
By the same token i wont read too much into "only played x games in X years " and "couldnt get a game at Cartlton" Blah blah blah. we saw similar thoughts used against Maric, and it was proven to be arse logic, (who FWIW, couldnt get a game behind Jacobs, who couldnt get a game behind Hampson). No one predicted he would come down with a groin problem like he has, which now means we have probably seen the best of him, nor will we get the length of service we would had hoped.

What i can glean about hampson;

He had a reputation for not holding marks. a couple of years ago it was discovered he had poor eye sight, which was subsequently fixed with laser surgery. Last year he was equal 6th in the league for contested marks per game.

Combine that with leading the league for % of taps to advantage and you have two qualities you want in a ruckman. He is fast for a big man, and does have a good leap.

another issue that supporters have with him has been his consistency, and intensity at times. as we have seen many ruckman don't start playing solid consistent footy until 25. As for intensity, is that just his make up, or is it a confidence thing? As it is not all the time that he lacks intensity, it it is possible that this is just a confidence thing.

He will be 26 when the season starts, so if he is going to play consistent footy to an appropriate level, we should start seeing it pretty much straight away.

One way or another we will know pretty quickly with shaun, as opposed to having to wait 5-6 years for a young ruckman.

For mine the concerns are his injury history and his kicking. On the injury front his two knee injuries were both impact injuries rather than indicating some structural weakness, but the question is have these injuries impacted his speed and leap?

Is his kicking due to the injuries? we have seen how injury has affected maric's kicking and how Jacksons kicking improved after getting over leg problems. In 2012 hampson kicked 15.4, but no other year has he come close to that conversion rate

Again, we should know soon enough.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #516 on: October 15, 2013, 10:43:29 AM »

This trade is certainly a gamble Claw, but the Maric turnaround has given some cred to our recruitment and coaching staff when it comes to gambling on out of favour ruckman, so I'm sitting
on the wait and see side of things until he's played a few games. The Club had a need and fulfilled it. We needed a mature bodied ruckman to backup Maric and we got it. There are no ready to go ruckman in the draft and if there were, like NicNat and Kreuzer, they would go well before our first round pick.

+1. We only had Stephenson as a back up for Maric and it didn't really quite work out. Hampson is not the long term answer but Maric can't be expected to shoulder the entire ruckload again for 2014.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #517 on: October 15, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »
Did we trade Vickory?
Why do people not include Vickory in ruck conversations?
I'm watching Richmond and St. Kilda on Foxtel now and Vickory is doing ok in the ruck. And i think we all forget that he is still young for a ruckman.
I'm with Claw, could have easily got through 2014 with Maric, Vickory, Big O and maybe another mature rookie ruckman.
And saved our pick 28 odd and got Hampson next year for nothing if we still wanted him as we'll a pretty good junior footballer. Rated 28 best in the land is a pretty good kid.
I must rate Big O's ruck work more than others as well because I think he is the perfect back up and costs us nothing.

Gigantor

« Reply #518 on: October 15, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »
weren't the hawks hovering over hampson too?

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #519 on: October 15, 2013, 07:08:41 PM »
Yeah but he was their 3rd option
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #520 on: October 15, 2013, 10:35:28 PM »
He can't be that bad as some are making out. I'm happy to wait and see.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #521 on: October 15, 2013, 11:27:49 PM »
I'll reserve judgement until some point next year when I've seen him play for Richmond. Whilst not superstars by any means, the likes of Grigg, Houli, Maric, Chaplin, Big O etc have all been serviceable at least.

We could turn Hampson's career around and I'm crossing my fingers and hoping. Personally I won't write him off until we've given him half a chance.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #522 on: October 16, 2013, 02:15:30 AM »
I'll reserve judgement until some point next year when I've seen him play for Richmond. Whilst not superstars by any means, the likes of Grigg, Houli, Maric, Chaplin, Big O etc have all been serviceable at least.

We could turn Hampson's career around and I'm crossing my fingers and hoping. Personally I won't write him off until we've given him half a chance.

Please don't use Grigg and serviceable in the same sentence

Cheers
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tigers_of_old_1980

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #523 on: October 16, 2013, 07:01:41 AM »
Claw

Who would you prefer in the ruck and why?

Good question, but I hope youre not holding your breath.  :whistle
10 PREMIERSHIPS

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #524 on: October 16, 2013, 07:14:57 AM »
Did we trade Vickory?
Why do people not include Vickory in ruck conversations?
I'm watching Richmond and St. Kilda on Foxtel now and Vickory is doing ok in the ruck. And i think we all forget that he is still young for a ruckman.
I'm with Claw, could have easily got through 2014 with Maric, Vickory, Big O and maybe another mature rookie ruckman.
And saved our pick 28 odd and got Hampson next year for nothing if we still wanted him as we'll a pretty good junior footballer. Rated 28 best in the land is a pretty good kid.
I must rate Big O's ruck work more than others as well because I think he is the perfect back up and costs us nothing.
Although I understand what you are trying to say, the problem with your suggestion is that if Maric goes down, we will be relying on a 31 yo ruck to see us through the season alone. Vickery is not a ruckman. His hits to advantage are very poor. We would be in the same situation as the second half of the elimination final where the Carlton rucks just kept on palming straight to their midfielders.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.