Author Topic: Can Richmond challenge again in 2022? [merged]  (Read 45933 times)

FooffooValve

Re: Can Richmond challenge again in 2022? [merged]
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2022, 12:16:18 PM »
This is going to be a very tough, even year. With expected improvement from Carlton, Essendon, Freo & Gold Coast, there won't be many "easy" games. We are due for a better run with injuries, but then again the usual suspects are a year older.  It will come down to keeping good players on the park, improvement from young players that have been in the system a couple of years, and winning the close games. I'm tipping we finish 5-8th, and anything can happen from there.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2022, 12:19:40 PM »
I expect to see us in the middle 6 and not contending for the flag.

A couple of good wins over top teams and a lot of losses to up and coming younger teams.

Then cliff. Hopefully briefly...

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2022, 01:09:57 PM »
All depends if our next generation breake out RCD  Stack ,Miller ,Hugo etc they need to step up.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2022, 03:50:55 PM »
All depends if our next generation breake out RCD  Stack ,Miller ,Hugo etc they need to step up.

Agreed.

Problem is I don't think I've seen anything to suggest it will happen. Stack is always chasing form and fitness these days. Club might have decided RCD is a role player not a gun. Miller done zilch. Hugo, role player also.

Graham, Bolton, Baker and Balta are our only genuinely good young players IMO.

I think Mansell showed some promise.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2022, 04:21:20 PM »

Agreed.

Problem is I don't think I've seen anything to suggest it will happen. Stack is always chasing form and fitness these days. Club might have decided RCD is a role player not a gun. Miller done zilch. Hugo, role player also.

Did you see anything in 2016 to suggest that we would win 3 of the next 4 flags??

Said it back then and saying it again that the development is like solving a rubik cube. It looks like a mess and unsolvable then  it all falls into place.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2022, 05:13:08 PM »

A couple of good wins over top teams and a lot of losses to up and coming younger teams.

Im sorta in this camp. Unlike a lot of tiger supporters i think we are one of the sides that can least afford injuries that and the fact the better players are all a year older.
Who have we bought in to immediately improve us??.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2022, 08:43:32 PM »

Agreed.

Did you see anything in 2016 to suggest that we would win 3 of the next 4 flags??

Said it back then and saying it again that the development is like solving a rubik cube. It looks like a mess and unsolvable then  it all falls into place.

No, however the acquisition of Prestia, Caddy and Nankervis was huge.

Also huge development from key roles (coach and captain).

If we already have established leadership and coaching panel, haven't traded any seasoned players in (bar Tarrant at 32) and have only hit the draft then I think it's a different scenario to 2016. The kids we have haven't shown much bar those ones I mentioned and the new 5 won't do much in their debut years as per usual.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2022, 08:44:36 PM »

Im sorta in this camp. Unlike a lot of tiger supporters i think we are one of the sides that can least afford injuries that and the fact the better players are all a year older.
Who have we bought in to immediately improve us??.

Tarrant. That's pretty much it. He's an upgrade on Astbury but is also 32, however good tutelage and physical protection for the likes of Gibcus and Miller.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2022, 06:23:39 PM »
AFL Season Preview 2022: Tigers top-four bound once again?

https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/afl-season-preview-2022-richmond-tigers/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2022, 08:51:51 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2022, 07:28:26 PM »
AFL Oracle: Which team stuck in footy’s ‘no man’s land’ can crack the top eight in 2022?

Tim Miller
theRoar.com.au
9 March 2022

Richmond

“This is the way the world ends; not with a bang, but a whimper.” T.S. Eliot might as well have written those words about Richmond in 2021, the three-time premiers’ reign coming to a sudden, crushing end midway through the season.

After treading water through much of the early rounds, most of us thought the real Tigers, much like the real Slim Shady, would soon stand up. But short of the occasional one-off reminder of their former glory – wins over the Western Bulldogs, West Coast and Brisbane all had hallmarks of the Tigers of old – their chances of a premiership threepeat never got off the launching pad.

Injuries wreaked havoc – Dustin Martin’s brutal kidney injury ruled him out for the final five weeks, Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Nick Vlastuin and Kane Lambert all played roughly half the season, and knee soreness left Tom Lynch a shadow of his best despite more often than not fronting up to play.

The Tigers’ famous hunger, the manic intensity that willed them to three flags in four years, also disappeared. After ranking fourth, third and third for tackles in their premiership years of 2017, 2019 and 2020, that figure dropped all the way down to 13th in 2021. Without that means of turning the ball over, a hallmark to the so-called ‘Richmond way’, their disposals and inside-50 counts both fell to mid-table. The result? A seismic fall from grace.

Injuries are already beginning to bite again to start this season – new co-captain Dylan Grimes has undergone thumb surgery and is in grave doubt for Round 1, while a debilitating hip issue is set to cruel Lambert again. Jack Graham and Lynch are two others who are no certainties to play the early rounds.

The Tigers, though, might prefer that to last year, when the bulk of their blows came throughout the season. In 2019, they endured a nightmarish run of injuries in the early rounds – Alex Rance did a knee in Round 1 and Jack Riewoldt barely played before the bye, to name but a few – only to get virtually all of them back and firing for the second half of the season.

If the Tigers can so much as keep their heads above water in the early rounds, they will be primed to cash in on a favourable draw that sees them leave Melbourne just three times after April. Equally, the so-dubbed ‘three-headed monster’ of Riewoldt, Lynch, and defender-turned-forward Noah Balta in attack will trouble many a quality defence this year, with Balta’s mobility and one-on-one strength a lethal combination.

Most pundits expect the Tigers to return to finals in 2022, and I’m firmly in that boat. But with an ageing list, concerns over some injury-prone key pillars and the inescapable fact that Melbourne have dethroned them as the competition’s premier side, let’s not go too far and expect a return to premiership glory just yet.

Prediction: 7th

https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/03/09/afl-oracle-which-team-stuck-in-footys-no-mans-land-can-crack-the-top-eight-in-2022/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2022, 07:43:15 PM »
13 AFL captains (excluding Nank/Grimes) have us making the finals and two have us in the Granny.

Which seven other clubs do you think can make this year's top eight?

17 – Brisbane, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs,
16 – Port Adelaide
13 – Richmond, Geelong
11 – Sydney
9 – GWS Giants
5 – Essendon, Carlton
2 – Fremantle
1 – St Kilda

Which other club is most likely to reach the Grand Final?

6 – Melbourne
5 – Brisbane
3 – Western Bulldogs
2 – Richmond
2 – Port Adelaide

https://www.afl.com.au/news/716412/grand-finalists-brownlow-top-eight-afl-captains-make-their-2022-predictions

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2022, 03:12:12 AM »
Gerard Whateley on AFL 360 states he is not writing off the Tigers for the premiership in 2022, the era is not done yet!

Mark Robinson disagrees.

WATCH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAzNGqbeiU4&t=1s

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
How Richmond Bounce Back in 2022 (AFL360)
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2022, 04:38:36 AM »
How Richmond Bounce Back in 2022

David King and Leigh Montagna discussing Richmond on AFL360:

WATCH HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKct3IN3p_U

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2022, 04:49:36 AM »
These 5 rules predict who’ll crash out of the AFL top eight. There’s one big surprise

Max Laughton
Fox Sports
March 10th, 2022

So which teams jump in? That’s a much tougher question, but Richmond is the most popular pick among experts given how much went against them in 2021 (the late start due to 2020’s late finish, injuries, exhaustion on and off the field), and we know they’re good enough to make the top four.

Pointsbet’s top eight odds have just one change, Richmond replacing Essendon - we know there’ll be more than one, based on history.

Full article here: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-season-preview-predicted-ladder-stats-analysis-rules-for-picking-top-eight-historic-results-who-misses-finals/news-story/a783b15321ac83793b7b2798ec212cd2