Author Topic: Deledio defends his patchy form (Age)  (Read 894 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Deledio defends his patchy form (Age)
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:17:47 PM »
Deledio defends his patchy form

Matt Murnane
    The Age
    May 5, 2013 - 7:09PM

Richmond star Brett Deledio has defended himself against mounting criticism of his performance, as his club began sorting through what it could salvage from the injury damage out of Saturday night's loss to Geelong.

Just days after Tigers coach Damien Hardwick went into bat for Deledio after criticism of his effort in last week's match against Fremantle, the two-time best and fairest winner did his own deflecting of judgment against his performance against the Cats.

Former Richmond star Nathan Brown, a friend of Deledio's, gave the Tigers midfielder ''worst on ground'' against Geelong while commentating the match at the MCG for Triple M.

For the second week in a row, Deledio was tagged heavily – this time by Cats onballer Taylor Hunt – and as a result his influence did not reach the level it did in the club's three opening-round wins. But the 26-year-old did battle hard enough to win 20 disposals (at 60per cent efficiency) and produce four score involvements and 11 pressure acts against the Cats, as well as five clangers.

''To be honest, I was a bit upset at the time,'' Deledio said of hearing Brown's appraisal of his game. ''It's not great losing, but to find out that he had given me worst on ground, I was a bit flat with that. It wasn't my best game, but I didn't think I was worst on ground.''

Since his scintillating performance against the Western Bulldogs in round three, Deledio has attracted more  attention from the opposition and negative attention from commentators. It began to gain traction after Fremantle tagger Ryan Crowley curbed his impact in round five, even though Deledio still managed 20 disposals.

In response to criticism Hardwick labelled as ''staggering'', the coach pointed out last week that Deledio had actually ''done a job'' while being tagged against Fremantle – playing his own run-with role with Dockers playmaker DavidMundy and limiting him to 14 disposals. That said, Deledio admitted he and his teammates must lift for Saturday's  test against Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium, a match former Tigers champion Matthew Richardson said would be ''huge'' in the context of the club's season.

Ken Hinkley is expected to return to coach Port after missing Saturday's  loss to North Melbourne due to health concerns, but Richmond has its own worries with several players – including key ruck pair Ivan Maric and Tyrone Vickery – under injury clouds. There was no update on the condition of Maric or Vickery on Sunday, with the club's fitness staff saying only that both would be closely monitored and assessed throughout the week.

Maric hurt his ankle in the third quarter and, even though he came back on to play out the game, he was noticeably affected. Vickery, meanwhile, suffered a  head clash at a centre bounce in the third quarter  and was quickly subbed out.

Ricky Petterd also came off late with a calf injury, while fellow defender Dylan Grimes finished the game with a sore foot and Alex Rance had calf trouble. Forward Jake King  suffered what is suspected to be a fracture of the thumb, but should be available.

Hardwick said Maric, Vickery and Petterd would all be unlikely to play against the Power.

However, Deledio pointed out on Sunday that Maric had proved last season he had a remarkable ability to play with pain, while captain Trent Cotchin said he was also hopeful Vickery would get up.

If one or both of the ruckmen don't play, former Geelong ruck Orren Stephenson is likely to come into contention for his first game with his new club.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/deledio-defends-his-patchy-form-20130505-2j17c.html#ixzz2SPqrjK00

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Deledio defends his patchy form (Age)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:30:05 PM »
I think Vickery will probably play but the Big O will make his debut. Batchelor will play and I hope Darrou gets a game in front of Astbury if Rance must come out. Would love to see A. Edwards get a gig so if Vickery is 50/50 bring him in and let our super ruck - McGuane  :-\ - take up the slack.  ;D

We make actually have to call Griff in just for his ruck capabilities instead of A.Edwards even though his form does not warrant it. Tough selection decisions this week if all of those players are out.

Lids can't shake a tag and now that Cotchin is struggling to make the same impact as last year, he will have to take the tag every week unfortunately. We need Foley back at his best if we are too again bat deep into our midfield because we are becoming too dependent on too few again and too easy to shut down. Lids need help and with our rucks down he may be having to play second fiddle to the ball this week.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:16:40 PM »
Anyone else get 'infuriated' at hearing that Deledio is doing a "job" or Jack Riewoldt is playing the team game and doing a "job" even when they have nil effect on the game. The reason why we have been beaten the last 3 weeks is cause our 3 best players Deledio, Jack and Cotchin have had no impact on the game. If they are doing there job and we are losing then you're giving them the wrong job Damien...
Go Tigers!

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:42:53 PM »
Deledio has been poo. Get yourself together son
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 05:05:12 AM »
Agree Pope, playing the game on opposition terms exposes your coaching limitations dimma
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 06:48:23 AM »
Lids needs to play forward if tagged. He is a good mark and good kick and can play the role of a lead up forward. If players are tagged the tagged players need to do gut running and run their opponents ragged which is what trent does and secondly teamates need to help out the person tagged- which is not happening. Astbury deserves a recall after his faultless performance on Saturday

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:42:41 AM »
''To be honest, I was a bit upset at the time,'' Deledio said of hearing Brown's appraisal of his game. ''It's not great losing, but to find out that he had given me worst on ground, I was a bit flat with that. It wasn't my best game, but I didn't think I was worst on ground.''

Really?
Poor wittle baby.

How about hardening the stuff up and if you do find what a commentator says about you upsetting, take it on the chin and then respond with actions not stuffing words.

Seriously  :banghead
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »

Really?
Poor wittle baby.

How about hardening the stuff up and if you do find what a commentator says about you upsetting, take it on the chin and then respond with actions not stuffing words.

Seriously  :banghead

I saw it Al and I think it was a bit tounge and cheek

However, he was very quick to defend his form never once admitting he had a shocker

It's time the heat was turned up on Lids for his cheating efforts when tagged
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 07:58:16 AM »
i take when you say you saw it you mean the comment by Brown?
If that was tongue in cheek then I find it even more bewildering that Delidio has to come out and defend himself against it.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 09:16:02 AM »
i take when you say you saw it you mean the comment by Brown?
If that was tongue in cheek then I find it even more bewildering that Delidio has to come out and defend himself against it.

Tongue in cheek by lids I meant

His response "yeah I got a bit upset when I heard Browny say that, I didn't think I was that bad"

Who knows for all I know he meant every word. Did you go to the game Al? Lids big player, big leader on big money was very dal santo like. Lack of chase lack of effort lack of desire

Worst game I've seen him play his gotta get better

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:24:23 AM »
ahh, that does put it in a different perspective.

nah didnt see the game live, but lids didnt seem to get involved as much as you would hope fore someone of his standing.

tony_montana

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 01:59:31 PM »
Gee wiz, you'd hope that was tongue in cheek, seems pretty precious otherwise

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 02:13:58 PM »
Lids cannot break a hard tag.
If he gets tagged the simple solution really is full forward with the tag.
Tag germs are helped in close with their other teammates. Isolating the tagged with a bloke who is quick a good mark overhead and on the lead with clean hands and a bloke who is reliable with the footy is smart really.
The coaching staff as much as on field leadership to protect the player is as much to blame as is the players ability.