Author Topic: Deledio determined to deliver (RFC site)  (Read 1166 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Deledio determined to deliver (RFC site)
« on: February 06, 2006, 04:02:08 PM »
Deledio determined to deliver
10:09:41 AM Mon 6 February, 2006
Scott Spits
Sportal for afl.com.au

Such was Brett Deledio's impact on AFL ranks during his debut season in 2005 the obvious question remains - is there a danger of second-year blues?

The 2004 No.1 draft selection played all 22 matches for Richmond, winning the NAB AFL Rising Star award and culminating with Australian representation in the International Rules series against Ireland.

Making his mark as a classy and prolific midfielder, the 18-year-old is well aware of the risk of having a lesser impact on the competition under the close scrutiny of opposition players and coaches.

Deledio has taken plenty of advice from football folk about avoiding the phenomenon of second-year burn-out.

"A lot of people have said to me there's second-year blues - try not to let it get to you and whatever," said the hard-running midfielder.

"Basically that's all I'm going to try and do - go out there and play footy like I did last year and try and improve on that."

With a full season on an AFL list under his belt, Deledio hasn't been shielded from any of the hard yakka on the training track during the pre-season.

He said he was prepared for the brutality of pre-season training the second time around.

"I've found it's still been as tough in the running, but I found it a little bit easier because you know what's coming. You know what to expect with the running and how to deal with it, and all that sort of stuff.

"It hasn't been too bad but it's certainly hard work at the same time.

"I was looked after a little bit last year, just so we didn't burn out or anything, but this year I haven't been exempted from anything.

"It's definitely been a lot harder but I'm also reaping the benefits from doing that."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=244554

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Deledio determined to deliver (RFC site)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 04:30:06 PM »
Lids is one solid unit now and could play in any position bar the ruck. All class  :bow.

There was one moment at training last Friday where he gathered the ball on the boundary in the forward pocket under pressure and spotted a teammate 20m out directly in front with a perfectly low drilled pass. Scary stuff!

Thank gawd he's playing for us  :thumbsup
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 12:05:05 AM »
Yep.

He'll be much better than last year and that's saying something about an 18/19 year old.  At times last year he was exposed for strength but as MT pointed out he has bulked up alot.  Once he exerts his strength on games, combined with his speed, skills, footy smarts and most importantly his potent side step then watch out.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:38:58 PM »
Yep he's still the third youngest player on our list  :o. Has an amazing vertical jump as well which helps prevent his opponent getting a fist in to spoil as Moi's little movie clip shows.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 08:09:22 PM »
Makes you wonder when they start talking contract extension?

Which brngs me to the next obvious question - how long do yuo make that next contract?

Personally I'd be looking at a 3 year deal  ;) ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 08:58:45 PM »
Lids is one solid unit now

IMO that is an understatement, Lids is more than a solid unit IMO