Author Topic: Todd Elton  (Read 75315 times)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Todd Elton
« Reply #345 on: August 22, 2016, 12:47:15 PM »
Now we're doing the same thing with Mabior. Why are we doing this to players? Play them forward then back and then forward again. They are never left to settle and for team mates to learn their leading patterns and for them to understand how certain players kick the ball.....

We should be teaching them how to defend in their current position. You don't need to learn how to defend in defence! Were Puopulo, Gunston and Cyril played in the backline at Hawthorn? :rollin
Agree
After watching the VFL yest, mabior is a gun if he gets some space plus does some nice 1%ers.
The team structure for AFL and VFL is a dogs breakfast.
Elton needs a few games to get the run of things, will he be any good? who knows.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #346 on: August 22, 2016, 03:44:26 PM »
We should be teaching them how to defend in their current position. You don't need to learn how to defend in defence! Were Puopulo, Gunston and Cyril played in the backline at Hawthorn? :rollin

Wasn't Poppy a back pocket player at first?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #347 on: August 22, 2016, 06:18:43 PM »

:clapping
You're right Yeahright. However, the others mentioned never played back.  ;D

You know what I'm trying to say though! :thumbsup
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #348 on: August 22, 2016, 07:02:51 PM »

Gunston also started at CHB, but that was at Adelaide ...  but we know what you are trying to say, even though its completely wrong ...    ;D
I don't mind starting young blokes in defence, if they aren't man enough to defend we can de-list them immediately!  It can save years ...  cough ... Vickery ... cough ...   
Daniel Rioli was never thrown into defence, but he's a special case!  In his family he had to grow up tackling or he never got a kick!   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #349 on: August 22, 2016, 07:28:36 PM »

Gunston also started at CHB, but that was at Adelaide ...  but we know what you are trying to say, even though its completely wrong ...    ;D
I don't mind starting young blokes in defence, if they aren't man enough to defend we can de-list them immediately!  It can save years ...  cough ... Vickery ... cough ...   
Daniel Rioli was never thrown into defence, but he's a special case!  In his family he had to grow up tackling or he never got a kick!   
I can remember Gunston kicking 5 against us in his second year. I'm pretty sure he never spent a season or even more than a few games down back. His first game was up forward and he mainly played as a mid as a junior till he shot up in height.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2016, 07:40:58 PM »
Think both PAv and nick won aa in backline
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #351 on: August 22, 2016, 07:55:30 PM »
Think both PAv and nick won aa in backline
You are now talking about the very best footballers.
Hell, they could play anywhere and be AA.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #352 on: August 22, 2016, 10:46:43 PM »
Pretty sure Pavlich's the only player to be named AA on all three lines.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #353 on: August 23, 2016, 03:19:27 PM »

No I don't

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #354 on: August 23, 2016, 03:47:09 PM »

No I don't
Let me help you since you don't. Hardwick is obsessed with playing forwards down back to learn to defend. Then they swap them back and forth not settling in any position.

Examples are:

Ben Griffiths: Played forward as that is the position he played as a junior. Then he spent a year down back. Then he is banished into the reserves. Then he is played as a part time forward and part time ruck. I would argue if he left him up forward and backed him in, he would be a better forward now.

Ben Lennon. AA under 18 forward. Played forward a little then played in the backline as a half back flanker. Then as a forward again. Then I don't even know - ? winger/ hbf and hff in the same game. I would argue that if you left him on the hff or forward pocket and let him play there consistently we would see a far more settled player.

Todd Elton: Played as a forward as a junior. Played initially forward by Hardwick. Played one senior game. Banished to reserves and then was thrown down back and he was brought back for one senior game as a backman and then dropped again. Then played as a forward...

I think this is a poor development scheme for forwards and one that Hardwick has employed. That is what I'm trying to say. Get it now?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #355 on: August 23, 2016, 03:58:49 PM »
I was actually taking the mickey, I got your point :lol

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #356 on: August 23, 2016, 09:02:01 PM »
I doubt any player can really improve with Dumma's "blueprint to success" game plan process model, even the elite are somewhat stymied despite there exceptional ability 

I used to think the Dee's had the worst development in the competition but we are definitely the worst.

.......but let's keep Chocco because he's awesome too.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #357 on: August 24, 2016, 02:24:31 PM »
I doubt any player can really improve with Dumma's "blueprint to success" game plan process model, even the elite are somewhat stymied despite there exceptional ability 

I used to think the Dee's had the worst development in the competition but we are definitely the worst.

.......but let's keep Chocco because he's awesome too.  :rollin

Funny you should mention that.
Melbourne gave Mark Williams (the lesser) the flick as their development coach and we picked him up and promoted him to be our Forwards Assistant coach.

Ya gotta laugh.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #358 on: August 24, 2016, 03:45:32 PM »
Watching him kid is like watching AusKick kids having fun kicking it any which way but the right way  :rollin

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Pick 26. Todd Elton
« Reply #359 on: September 26, 2016, 09:52:14 AM »
Todd ELTON (Dandenong Stingrays)

DOB: 29/4/93. Ht: 197cm. Wt: 92kg.

Pos: Tall forward.

"Todd is a 197cm ruckman-forward type who is very athletic, great below his knees, has a good capacity to run and has good speed for his size. Has lots of developing to do, mind you, but that's not a downside, that's just where he's at. He's got to be able to overcome players who are physical on him and I think he started to learn that towards the end of the season when opposition teams were putting their best backman on him and really challenging him. He's certainly going to be a project player but there's lots of upside because of his height, agility and adaptability." - Dandenong Stingrays coach Graeme Yeats.
AIS/AFL Academy member 2011. Vic Country representative 2011.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvvErdm82Qs

Wow. 4 years in the system now he can't mark, doesnt tackle "because we aren't a tackling team" &  consistently struggles to impact games.

Richmond FC, ruining careers since '83.  :clapping :gotigers
The club that keeps giving.