Author Topic: Hardwick on 5AA (audio and summary)  (Read 2251 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick on 5AA (audio and summary)
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:40:24 AM »
Hardwick on 5AA prior to the game yesterday with Graham Cornes and Cunningham...

http://www.fiveaa.com.au/audio_damien-hardwick-on-adelaide-v-richmond_101146

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Hardwick on 5AA (audio and summary)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:42:14 AM »
Summary

* Similar type of team as last year. After losing the first 9 games, we in the second half of season played some reasonable footy and we want to build on that. To make sure well improved we brought in a couple of experienced players in Houli and Grigg so our depth automatically increases and we believe we drafted well. So through natural progression we've brought in 5-6 players into our group.

* Do need other alternative avenues to goal other than Jack. Tried Vickery up forward and he's been good for us kicking 5 or 6 against Port and a couple against Hawthorn. He hasn't had Jack there so he's had a fair bit of ball directed his way. In our minds if we can have Jack kicking 50+ goals and Tyrone 30-40 and find another chipping in with 20 then that will address those issues this year. 

* Gus at the back end of the last year made some huge strides and been good this preseason. Browne pushing hard for selection and Derickx impressed against Coll/Carl. 3 guys fighting for that one spot with Ty up forward so ruck still up for grabs with Gus just in front at this stage.

* Engine room most important in getting the ball going your way. Dusty had an outstanding season last year and expect similar to better this year; Cotch had his first preseason since being at the club; Foley the ace in the pack - great to have him back after 2 years not only from a playing perspective but also leadership.

* Hard to judge at this stage how good Martin will end up but at this stage he looks to have played the game for 5-6 years. We lost to Hawthorn last weekend but he was one of our better players. Not many players can overtake a game. Likened him to Riccuito in a way given his impact at centre bounces. Big wraps but he's got an enormous future at our club.

* Doesn't believe Jack will get ahead of himself. Jack has that personality like most forwards that is over the top. You find that personality in most professional sportspeople. He's well aware he's had one very good season but to become a high quality player you've got to back it up over a numbr of years and we expect that from him.

* Not sure about Jack being taller than his cousin Nick. Thinks someone may have fudged the figures there lol.

* Substitute rule - we trialed it last week and in the first quarter we had two injuries. We brought up a couple of blokes as spare but with McGuane getting kicked in the head from point blank range we were down to rotations and Dimma was doing his head in. So it is difficult and will take time to sort it out; not sure at this stage how the sub rule will work. Will think it will slow down the game as the bookends don;t rotate so they don't come off. So we may rest blokes at the end of the ground.

* Cousins has been OS (back now). He has a mentor in the mining industry so that's why he went. Coming over for our first game to present something in the rooms. He's welcome back at the club anytime.

* Jordie MacMahon - did you have something against him? Dimma replied that some players fit better into some clubs than others. Same with Dean Polo. I felt Dean is a good footballer but didn't fit into our system. Spoke to Ross Lyon who asked about Polo and Dimma told Lyon that he doesn't fit our system but I'd reckon he'll fit into yours. Jordie in the same boat. He didn't fit into the way we wanted to play.

* Dimma is apparently as dreamteam ambassador so they wanted a tip on a bargain. Dimma's first response was "Crikey!" lol. Reckons Cotch will have a very good year; Vickery another one; Grigg will have a good year for us; and 3 young guys - Conca, Batchelor and Helbig.

* Jacko is a star. Will always be picked in a side Dimma coaches as he's aggressive. Quite funny as off-field he's quite an intelligent bloke but onfield he's quite aggressive. Sort of the combination Dimma likes. So he's a valuable part of our side.

* Edwards did have a pretty good year last year. Going to be a great player. Probably had a breakout season last year. One of those guys who didn't believe in himself often enough. So we gave him every chance on the wing last year and told him you're going to play here all year. Enormous talent, great agility and uses the ball well and makes things happen. Expect him to build on last year and become a good player in the comp. Won the most improved award last year which was a toss up between Shane and Jack. Jack probably always had the ability to jump up while people dropped off Shane/ We had enormous faith in the kid and he repaid us in spades last year.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 09:26:03 AM »
calling jacko a star is problematic IMHO. I wouldnt have him in my top 20 players at Richmond in terms of taking us forward.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:39:30 AM »
calling jacko a star is problematic IMHO. I wouldnt have him in my top 20 players at Richmond in terms of taking us forward.

Mate do you actually rate anyone in the team?? All you seem to do is bag this guy and bag that guy, maybe you should just go back to supporting soccer where getting one or two touches a game is classed as brilliant :wallywink :wallywink

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:19:25 PM »

Mate do you actually rate anyone in the team?? All you seem to do is bag this guy and bag that guy, maybe you should just go back to supporting soccer where getting one or two touches a game is classed as brilliant :wallywink :wallywink

I am sure Flagman can defend himself but that is just a childish and uninformed statement.

For the record I think Jacko is a solid citizen but as a footballer he is a turnover merchant. What most including me did to McMahon on this forum was bagging with Jacko just stating the facts. Dimma is just pumping up Jacko's tyres.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 12:29:35 PM »
I'll give jacko benefit of doubt, he's probably 3-4 weeks behind the group fitness and match conditioning wise, read same for Lids, JR8, Newy and Foley...when right he has been pretty key to us when we actually looked alright at times in 2010
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 12:55:09 PM »

I am sure Flagman can defend himself but that is just a childish and uninformed statement.

For the record I think Jacko is a solid citizen but as a footballer he is a turnover merchant. What most including me did to McMahon on this forum was bagging with Jacko just stating the facts. Dimma is just pumping up Jacko's tyres.

he must learn how to handball like J watson then he has a chance to be in pour best 22.

These 25 metre grass cutter passes are good if he no one within 20 metres of him but facts are when the pressure is on he butchers it.

Learn how to handball FFS
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 01:12:27 PM »

Agree not only is his kicking often low percentage but he inflames it by holding onto the ball for so long to make a decision the opposition is allowed to set up their zone.

Needs to get the ball, turn fast, and look up field ASAP and I think we'd get a much more effective Jackson.

Cant fault his defensive work though.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »
Opp's I have to back track hear and "PUBLICLY" apoligise  to 10FLAGS. Mate, for some reason I thought you were referring to JACK Reiwoldt NOT Daniel Jackson. I no you don't rate DJ and should have picked this up, looks like I am the "PUTZ!". Sorry mate........

10 FLAGS

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »
Opp's I have to back track hear and "PUBLICLY" apoligise  to 10FLAGS. Mate, for some reason I thought you were referring to JACK Reiwoldt NOT Daniel Jackson. I no you don't rate DJ and should have picked this up, looks like I am the "PUTZ!". Sorry mate........

Thats cool no problems. By the way, criticism of players that is based on playing performance i think is fair enough. As long as its not personal then people can say what they feel imho. And at the moment, I'm looking at Jacko (Daniel Jackson) and thinking, hes been here for years, he isnt a star, and alot of the time, hes turning over the footy, scrubbing his kicks and doing things which I dont want to see from a Richmond player. I hope he improves in time but right now, he isnt a star, he is no where near being a star and the coach (of whom I have been one of the biggest supporters of in here) is either trying to pump up jackos tyres or hes seeing things that the rest of us aren't seeing. The only thing that I think Jacko can do for us is tag. I dont want him getting the footy alot, I just want him to stop an opponent from getting it.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:09:36 PM »

Thats cool no problems. By the way, criticism of players that is based on playing performance i think is fair enough. As long as its not personal then people can say what they feel imho. And at the moment, I'm looking at Jacko (Daniel Jackson) and thinking, hes been here for years, he isnt a star, and alot of the time, hes turning over the footy, scrubbing his kicks and doing things which I dont want to see from a Richmond player. I hope he improves in time but right now, he isnt a star, he is no where near being a star and the coach (of whom I have been one of the biggest supporters of in here) is either trying to pump up jackos tyres or hes seeing things that the rest of us aren't seeing. The only thing that I think Jacko can do for us is tag. I dont want him getting the footy alot, I just want him to stop an opponent from getting it.

I agree that Dan Jackson has a kicking problem. But do you also agree that it is substantially improved when we are winning. He's kicking is worse when we are getting a hiding.
Jacksons never gonna be your star player. But he's a good ordinary player. He's hard at it, can win his own ball, but he turns it over when the presssure is on.
Problem with getting rid of a player like Jackson is that behind the scenes he's the glue that brings everyone together. Get rid of that and it can do untold damage to a young team. He's a leader and a clubman and he plays for the jumper.
Get rid of fringe players that can't win there own ball before you think about cutting a true clubman I say.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »
* Do need other alternative avenues to goal other than Jack. Tried Vickery up forward and he's been good for us kicking 5 or 6 against Port and a couple against Hawthorn. He hasn't had Jack there so he's had a fair bit of ball directed his way. In our minds if we can have Jack kicking 50+ goals and Tyrone 30-40 and find another chipping in with 20 then that will address those issues this year.  

We could have 5 Jack Riewoldts in the forward line, but if you barely get the ball into 50 and 75% of the time it's coming in not very cleanly, anyone will struggle to kick goals.

Look at Carlton, no Fev, Henderson who I don't rate and a couple of nippy small forwards and they were the 4th best scoring team in 2010.

If we can get the ball forward more often, the goals will come.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do