Author Topic: Nathan Buckley [merged]  (Read 19179 times)

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
Re: Nathan Buckley [merged]
« Reply #240 on: July 23, 2009, 09:30:55 PM »
thats all he can follow is the PROCESS laid out in front of him. :rollin

Ramps

« Reply #241 on: July 24, 2009, 12:20:28 AM »
Buckley supposedly offered between $800,000 and $1,000,000 a year by North. I wouldnt take him at those rates. Richmond would be better off hiring Hardwick on $350,000 with bonuses for successes and sticking the other $650,000 a year into getting more recruiting people and more development coaches.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #242 on: July 24, 2009, 01:09:45 AM »
Buckley supposedly offered between $800,000 and $1,000,000 a year by North. I wouldnt take him at those rates. Richmond would be better off hiring Hardwick on $350,000 with bonuses for successes and sticking the other $650,000 a year into getting more recruiting people and more development coaches.
Agree Ramps.

It's a disgrace that North while on AFL handouts for survival and crying poor can be allowed to fork out that much dough on a new coach. It's as much if not more than any existing coach in the league.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #243 on: July 24, 2009, 02:11:58 AM »
I reckon $350k per year even for a rookie senior coach would be pretty low

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pies close in on snaring Buckley (Age)
« Reply #244 on: July 24, 2009, 02:46:28 AM »
Pies close in on snaring Buckley
Caroline Wilson | July 24, 2009

COLLINGWOOD coach Mick Malthouse has accepted in principle a deal that would see him work next season side-by-side with his former captain Nathan Buckley.

Although Buckley has not given his old club a final answer, that is expected to come in a matter of days with North Melbourne privately declaring Monday as the final deadline for retired champion to tell the Kangaroos if he wants to be their senior coach.

But the North hierarchy, who last week had been quietly confident of luring Buckley to Arden Street on a long-term deal of at least four years, had become less optimistic by yesterday.

The Collingwood agreement, orchestrated by president Eddie McGuire and his chief executive Gary Pert, has been strongly endorsed by Buckley's manager Craig Kelly and would involve Buckley working as a senior assistant to Malthouse, who has been offered a new two-year agreement.

It is understood Malthouse has not been asked to take a paycut. The 55-year-old two-time premiership coach confirmed yesterday he had met Buckley four days ago at the behest of the club to plan a potential working relationship.

At the meeting, the two men went into some detail regarding their division of labour with Buckley outlining at some length his projected responsibilities. Although Malthouse glibly described the talks as "perfect", he was privately less enthusiastic.

"I'm not prepared to go through that discussion. That's why we had it in-house," the coach said yesterday.

But despite his strong misgivings the veteran coach, who joined the Magpies for season 2000, has conceded McGuire and Pert were determined to plot a future for the club with Buckley eventually at the coaching helm and that to remain at Collingwood he would have to subscribe to what is in reality an unofficial "Kirribilli Agreement".

All that remains is for Buckley to make a final decision and the strong feeling from Collingwood yesterday was that it had come tantalisingly close to convincing its longest serving captain and six-time Copeland winner to return to the club and not coach elsewhere.

While the senior position at Richmond remains a longshot for Buckley because of the timing, only an intensive and meaningful push from North in the coming days appears to stand between the Magpies and their favourite son.

Orchestrating a Malthouse-Buckley partnership was first floated in The Age by McGuire in March. That he appears close to achieving such a deal is a massive fillip in the short-term for the 11-year president.

Kelly's part in the groundswell pushing Buckley towards Collingwood cannot be underestimated. Not only is he a close friend of Pert's and a Collingwood premiership player, but he has played a major role in Buckley's career as a friend and manager.

However, Malthouse yesterday stressed he would not be putting a use-by date upon his coaching future. "I feel very comfortable in my job," he said. "I know I'm getting the best out of the players and getting the best out of myself. Does that stay for one year, two years, three years, five years? I can't say that, but I'm not about to declare that it's going to be one or two years when it could be five or six years. It could be six months too."

When asked if he was open to an agreed succession to Buckley, Malthouse replied: "That's the part of it the club needs to look at and address with my management."

Malthouse admitted the saga was having an effect on some staff. "I suppose it's probably starting to wear thin on a few blokes, but they see the funny side of it more so than if there is a serious side to it, so that's a good sign," he said.

McGuire denied anyone was worried about their futures if they were linked with Malthouse, but hinted he was keen on implementing a transition plan.

"Maybe football's moving on and changing and maybe that's what we're trying to achieve at Collingwood, to get something a little bit more progressive and sustainable rather than what has happened in the past," McGuire told SEN.

At least two Collingwood assistants are candidates for the Richmond job in Brad Scott, who is contracted to Collingwood next year, and Mark Neeld.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/pies-close-to-snaring-buckley/2009/07/23/1247942007554.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #245 on: July 24, 2009, 07:24:49 PM »
Agree Ramps.

It's a disgrace that North while on AFL handouts for survival and crying poor can be allowed to fork out that much dough on a new coach. It's as much if not more than any existing coach in the league.

Yep and while the coach gets 1 million a year the club is forking out only 92% of the salary cap. I'd think the players would be wanting alot more than what they are on when their new contracts are up. Of course this won't end in disaster. :whistle

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2009, 07:25:55 PM »
Agree Ramps.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers to interview Buckley (Age)
« Reply #247 on: July 25, 2009, 04:33:06 AM »
Tigers to interview Buckley
Michael Gleeson | July 25, 2009

THE future of the AFL's most talked about prospective coach in Nathan Buckley is unlikely to be decided for some time yet with the former Collingwood captain agreeing to be interviewed by Richmond for its coaching job next week.

Buckley's Richmond interview, which The Age understands to be later next week, puts in doubt the likelihood that North Melbourne will have a definitive answer from him on his future by its preferred Monday deadline.

North has been concerned that while it is eager for Buckley to take the job it also cannot indefinitely wait, in the event that it is turned down and must search for an alternative.

The Roos want to know one way or another from Buckley by Monday, but with his interview at Richmond later next week that deadline is likely to be made more flexible or North might commence the search for an alternative.

Collingwood and Buckley are still examining the possibility of taking an assistant's role at the Magpies under Michael Malthouse.

Buckley and Malthouse met for several hours recently to discuss how that relationship might work.

Malthouse, who is understood to be far from thrilled at the idea that a proposed successor to his role as senior coach was being introduced, sarcastically described those talks when asked about them at his weekly press conference on Thursday as "perfect".

Buckley has remained true to a view that he would stay quiet on the issue, aware that other people will comment on it without his voice adding to the speculation and uncertainty.

Buckley will be one of up to 12 people interviewed by Richmond next week, including Essendon assistant Alan Richardson, former Tigers player Leon Cameron, Brisbane Lions premiership player Justin Leppitsch, Geelong assistant Ken Hinkley, Magpies assistants Brad Scott and Mark Neeld and West Coast's Peter Sumich.

Caretaker coach Jade Rawlings will also be interviewed and while he was considered to be merely warming the seat for the next coach to take over, his stocks have risen dramatically since stepping in to replace Terry Wallace. He continues to impress those in charge with the manner in which he has conducted himself.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/tigers-to-interview-buckley/2009/07/24/1247942051190.html

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers to interview Buckley (Age)
« Reply #248 on: July 25, 2009, 06:28:15 AM »
Even if he decides to pull out of the contest, the fact that Buckley is prepared to interview with the Tigers add significance to our approach.

In effect, they will be testing each other out but it proves that rigor around recruiting for the most important role at a football club is one part of the overall criteria that Bucks puts a high value.

Probably does not help the Kanga cause unless ego wins over his final decision. Which is what we don't need. Which is why our process beats the Kanga-woo.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #249 on: July 25, 2009, 01:03:23 PM »
Not good news for North and so much for talk about Bucks thinking we're a basketcase  ::).

No Hardwick in the list of names there but they've probably left him out as he's been mentioned in previous media reports.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #250 on: July 25, 2009, 01:57:58 PM »
Bucks confirmed on 3aw he is meeting Richmond next week. He also has more with North. North understand he is meeting with us. When asked if it may cost him the North job Bucks said "I hope not".

He will let things run its course until he makes a decision. His thoughts will ebb and flow on what he wants to do. Being in the media or being an assistant coach are also possible options next year.

Cometti was bagging us saying why would Bucks want to go to us or North when he could go to Collingwood. He then said if Bucks has the same 4 years as Wallace did it'll wreck his career as it would any coach. Wallace was unprepared for what he had to do there and Richmond were unprepared. Bucks knocked that on the head. He said Wallace had coached before for 7-8 years (basically his is not Wallace) and Richmond may be better prepared for a new coach this time around.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Buckley confident on coaching meetings (Age)
« Reply #251 on: July 25, 2009, 07:12:51 PM »
Buckley confident on coaching meetings
July 25, 2009 - 1:53PM

The AFL's most pursued coach-in-waiting, Nathan Buckley, is confident his decision to meet with Richmond will not affect his prospects with other clubs.

The saga of which club Buckley will coach with has dragged on for weeks with Richmond, North Melbourne and Collingwood in focus.

North Melbourne has offered Buckley the senior job at Arden Street, where he would take over from stand-in Darren Crocker, who was called up when Dean Laidley left Kangaroos mid-season.

Buckley will meet the Richmond hierarchy next week to discuss the coaching position.

The Tigers also have a caretaker role, with Jade Rawlings appointed when Terry Wallace left recently.

Buckley said he did not believe his decision to meet with Richmond would adversely affect his hopes at another club.

"I hope not - North knows where I stand," he told Fairfax Radio.

Buckley has also been linked to a possible assistant job under his old coach Mick Malthouse at Collingwood but has all but ruled out waiting for the new Gold Coast team to join the competition.

"That's another 12 months away and there's probably a few decisions that need to be made before that becomes an option," Buckley said.

Buckley and Malthouse met this week, a move orchestrated by the club and he said the pair would have no problems working together.

"I've been interested with the discussion about our supposed frosty relationship and it's never been as bad as people suggest," Buckley said.

"I was his captain for eight years."

Malthouse is working hard to make sure the talk does not distract his players from their task - and it certainly didn't last night as the Magpies belted Carlton by 54 points.

But he admits the speculation is "wearing thin" on some people.

Malthouse is yet to be re-signed for 2010.

"I think things can be done when they need to be done," he said.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/buckley-confident-on-coaching-meetings-20090725-dwp5.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #252 on: July 25, 2009, 09:03:05 PM »
JON Ralph on Ch 10 just said North want an emphatic yes or no from Buckley by close of business Monday. If he says no then North will go on with their search for a new coach without Buckley and he won't be part of the process as he has too many fingers in too many pies (excuse the pun). So it looks like North are out it if he is meeting with us next week. Ralph said it looks more than likely now that Buckley will be an assistant at Collingwood.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #253 on: July 25, 2009, 09:23:34 PM »
So many latex gloves lines but so not appropriate here.  :-X
If Buckley doesn't take the alleged big money at North then you'd expect it unlikely for him to take the Richmond job.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #254 on: July 25, 2009, 10:25:21 PM »
Geez what a public slap in the face to North. They've thrown everything at Bucks and promised to give him everything he wants and now it looks like they've missed out going too hard too early. There's going to be enough egg on faces down at Arden St to make an omelette.

Stick to the process Tigers  :thumbsup