Author Topic: Restocked after a Flag  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Restocked after a Flag
« on: November 23, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »
Well done to our list management team. The club wins a flag and just after we find ourselves with a restocked list of junior talent. Callum Coleman Jones, Noah Balta, Ben Miller, Patrick Naish, Riley Collier Dawkins, Jackson Ross, Fraser Turner and Luke English are young players yet to debut. On top weve added Tom Lynch and Mav Weller for experience. Its a very good list management effort.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Restocked after a Flag
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 07:47:33 PM »
It's probably partly cost driven but also the last few drafts haven't been biased like previous years

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 09:12:01 PM »
Well done to our list management team. The club wins a flag and just after we find ourselves with a restocked list of junior talent. Callum Coleman Jones, Noah Balta, Ben Miller, Patrick Naish, Riley Collier Dawkins, Jackson Ross, Fraser Turner and Luke English are young players yet to debut. On top weve added Tom Lynch and Mav Weller for experience. Its a very good list management effort.

I disagree.
We did add Higgins, Coleman-Jones, Balta, Miller, Naish and Baker last year and they were all okay in my view.
However we saw this year, particularly in the prelim that we need a second ruck, a very tall third defender and more midfield depth after losing a lot over summer (Conca, Miles, C Ellis, Lloyd).

We added the best young key forward in Lynch.
We added Collier-Dawkins, Ross and English to the midfield.

Why didn't we add Roughhead (traded at pick 76 to Collingwood) to add the second ruck and very tall defender at 200cm.
We could have even done a straight swap of Lloyd for Roughead with the Bulldogs (roughly the same picks).
Why, after that, did we not take Fort (204cm ruck) rather than the Menadue duplicate in Turner. Turner at 58, Fort at 65 to Geelong.
Why, after again failing to get that ruck did we not take Sweet (202cm ruck at rookie 23 to Bulldogs) rather than Aarts at 16.

So, at the end, we still don't have that stopgap ruck, tall defender and will still lack midfield depth for a few years yet.
As a sideline to that we could have got Brodie for Miles and C Ellis rather than gifting them to the Suns.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 10:09:51 PM »
Brodie for Miles and Ellis? The Suns would NEVER have let that happen. That's just pure fantasy.

As for rucks, they feel that Balta (now at 196cm) with a huge leap can be our second ruck. Also they obviously feel Chol can make it as they have re drafted him and he is also a ruck prospect. Add CCJ, who IMHO has huge upside as a ruck and we have a few rucks on the list especially when you include Soldo.

Nankervis 1st ruck.
Balta, utility and second ruck.
Soldo long term developer in the ruck.
CCJ as long term high draft pick ruck.
Chol as rookie developing ruck.

That's 5 (4 + Balta) that can be competitive in the ruck. I don't think we are that badly off.

OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 10:16:17 PM »
I admire the optimism, YBB, but that's 1 out of 5 we know that can be competitive in the ruck. The other 4 are possibilities at this stage.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 10:17:38 PM »
I admire the optimism, YBB, but that's 1 out of 5 we know that can be competitive in the ruck. The other 4 are possibilities at this stage.
But Sweet and Fort would have also been possibilities at this stage.....

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 10:21:28 PM »
True, but likely higher possibilities than the likes of Soldo/Chol and probably the 2 young kids too.

But who knows for sure, so many possibilities......:shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 10:50:00 PM »
Lets be honest; Nank isn't THAT competitive in the Ruck. He rarely wins the hitouts. He works his arse off and is super competitive around the grounds which makes up for it, but look back over the last 2 seasons and all of the games we were comprehensively beaten and Nank took a towelling in the middle.

Its not an ideal situation, but how many teams honestly have 2 1st class rucks on their list?

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 11:52:15 PM »
Lets be honest; Nank isn't THAT competitive in the Ruck. He rarely wins the hitouts. He works his arse off and is super competitive around the grounds which makes up for it, but look back over the last 2 seasons and all of the games we were comprehensively beaten and Nank took a towelling in the middle.

Its not an ideal situation, but how many teams honestly have 2 1st class rucks on their list?
I actually think Nank is competitive. He was destroyed by NicNat earler this year, but as a rule, what has killed us has been our midfield set ups. Adam Kingsley hopefully sorts that out.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 03:28:46 PM »
Nank uncompetitive......now I’ve heard it all.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 03:53:52 PM »
Soldo has held his own in the ruck last season and this year in his only game against one of the better rucks Witts.He aren't going to be a Grundy etc ,but can do the job when needed.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 04:56:40 PM »
Chol & CCJ will surpass Soldo this year and even Balta, Miller & Moore will all become better second ruck options...wouldn't be at all surprised to see him delisted before the mid-season draft to make way for a state league ruck.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »
Need to blood Balta for Grigg!

Grathwaite maybe too but for Broad?

Imagine if Astbury and Grathwaite HOLD FB and CHB and have Rance picking off as a third man?

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 02:28:38 PM »
I'm tipping Garthwaite to play all 25 games in 2019. 

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 06:48:19 PM »
Grathwaite :lol

Love your work torchy :shh