Author Topic: Reece Conca [merged]  (Read 427897 times)

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Reece Conca [merged]
« Reply #1215 on: April 26, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
Used pick 6 on a pick 36 standard player.
The guy has not had a full preseason yet!
Reserve your harsh judgement till that has been completed please.

Excuses, excuses. He's been fit enough to play 57 games out of a possible 72 so far and every game this year.

Tool.

Looks like you misspelt "truth" there, champ.  Nevermind, you'll get there one day.
Being fit enough to get on the park and having a full preseason that instills you with confidence in your body to lift your game to the next level are two very different things!

Have you ever played a competitive sport at an elite level? It's not like kick to kick at school.
It's not an excuse mate, it's a fact.

I've played various sports at a high level and even been paid for it on the odd occasion but no, I've never been a full-time professional athlete....have you?

How many uninterrupted pre-seasons has Cotchin had over the years?
I haven't but have had relatives that have been full time pros. The amount of work they do with heir bodies to prepare is amazing.  They would constantly tell me how preseasons would set up the whole year.
Cotchin is a freak. It's not fair comparing anyone with him
I get you think Reece hasn't done a full pre-season, we all get it. But having said that, he has played 57 games, how would you rate those 57 games? Genuine question.
Do you think to date he is worth pick 6?
And lastly, what is it you see in him that you think will improve to the point of being an A grader?
IMO he may have missed some pre-seasons and I don't even know if it's all since he has been at Tigerland, but you don't have to 100% fit to be able to hit targets! NOT FUMBLE, or show some class when you do have the footy.
All Reece has shown so far is that he is a pretty good tackler and he loves a cuddle.
Firstly it's not his fault he has been picked in the firsts when not 100% fit. We have had poo reserves teams to send him to and develop there, so when he came in he was thrown to the sword in the firsts.
And he wasn't a true number 6 pick as there were the 12 prelisted 17 year olds taken by the Gold Coast in 2009 that would have gone early in 2010. So get your ******* facts right before you ask questions!
Yes there have been a few players taken after him that have played better thus far. But guess what? If you look at each of these players one thing is common to all of them. They haven't had any serous injuries that have required surgery. Reece has gone under the knife 3 times since he has been with us. This has enabled them to fast track their development compared to Reece.
What I see in Reece is a competitive player who has pace and who has a defensive game and an attacking game. When his game has been up he has kicked multiple goals. This is his great strength. He should be a goal kicking mid. These types of players are very valuable.
I am happy to wait as he is still young and I think he has much upside. He just needs a decent run with injury. Our recruiters are not Nostradamus in predicting injuries in the future too, so criticizing them is premature. I still think his greatest strength is his character. He is a good kid with a level head on his shoulders. He is a good team man who is good to have around the club.

It's amazing what effect positive reinforcement has on the psyche. It's also amazing what a deleterious effect these negative rants have on players. They may not read them but others do and pass on sentiments.

FFS get off his back and give him support and encouragement. If you really love the club, you will.

Oh boo hoo - what a load of namby pamby crap."Oooh don't ever criticise the players because their mates might read it and they'll cry" Positive reiforcement - stuff me dead this isn't kindergarten or some Dr. Phil/Oprah Californian pop psychology bollocks. If he really has the "strength of character" you say he does then it should be water off a duck's back anyway. Posters like you seem to be unable to grasp the concept of a "discussion forum' or you think they should be just like sitting with the arse lickers in the cheer squad - a bland backslapping echo chamber of "Yay Reecey! Yay Jakey! Yay Griggy! Go Tiges!"

As for puling out the old "real supporters should only cheer & praise our players"  card  - well sorry but you can stuff right off with that shyte...if you want to play that game then I'll put it to you that "real" supporters - people who really care about this club- aren't the people who just blindly applaud everything the club does but are the people who demand & push it it to be the best it can be , who actually show concern when they feel the club is underachieving , who don't accept mediocrity and yes single out those who we don't believe are up to the job and are therefore letting the club down. Those who are genuinely worried about the future of the club if we go through too many more years of being perpetual losers and fail to attract new fans from the younger generations.  People, I might add, who've generally put more money & time into this club than most of the loudmouth so-called "brightsiders" who like to dictate to everyone the correct manner of supporting the club and what opinions they should have.

As for Conca - our skills & disposal are woeful through the middle and he's one of the main offenders. Pick 6 for what's essentially a slight upgrade on Shane Tuck is massive overs.
I can almost guarantee you that I have put more money over the last 50 years into the club than you. So just wack off.
If you read my posts you will see I am critical as well towards the club.  I don't need idiots like you telling me off for pandering to the club.

In the case of individual young players who have gone through hell to make it, I will always defend.  They don't need armchair critics like you who know stuff all to start laying in the boots and then saying they're weak if they can't take it.  A real supporter DOES support the youth in the club and tries to make it an environment they want to excel in, not a friggen nazi prison where they are afraid to take a risk or they will be shot by their supporters.

Let's see how much you love him if he takes the money and runs back home to WA next time. We don't owe any overpaid meathead footballer a thing.

If you seriously think what's said on a internet forum effects the players them you're either a fool or you've never been to an actual game in your life and heard what's said over the fence.

As for your other dribble, I said brightsiders in general not you personally so get your hand off it flog , not interested in a peeing contest or hearing about your long service record or the 2 and 6 you've put in every year since Max Oppy was coach, so kindly go stuff yourself on that score.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1216 on: April 26, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »
The guy has not had a full preseason yet!
Reserve your harsh judgement till that has been completed please.

Excuses, excuses. He's been fit enough to play 57 games out of a possible 72 so far and every game this year.

Tool.

Looks like you misspelt "truth" there, champ.  Nevermind, you'll get there one day.
Being fit enough to get on the park and having a full preseason that instills you with confidence in your body to lift your game to the next level are two very different things!

Have you ever played a competitive sport at an elite level? It's not like kick to kick at school.
It's not an excuse mate, it's a fact.

I've played various sports at a high level and even been paid for it on the odd occasion but no, I've never been a full-time professional athlete....have you?

How many uninterrupted pre-seasons has Cotchin had over the years?
I haven't but have had relatives that have been full time pros. The amount of work they do with heir bodies to prepare is amazing.  They would constantly tell me how preseasons would set up the whole year.
Cotchin is a freak. It's not fair comparing anyone with him
I get you think Reece hasn't done a full pre-season, we all get it. But having said that, he has played 57 games, how would you rate those 57 games? Genuine question.
Do you think to date he is worth pick 6?
And lastly, what is it you see in him that you think will improve to the point of being an A grader?
IMO he may have missed some pre-seasons and I don't even know if it's all since he has been at Tigerland, but you don't have to 100% fit to be able to hit targets! NOT FUMBLE, or show some class when you do have the footy.
All Reece has shown so far is that he is a pretty good tackler and he loves a cuddle.
Firstly it's not his fault he has been picked in the firsts when not 100% fit. We have had poo reserves teams to send him to and develop there, so when he came in he was thrown to the sword in the firsts.
And he wasn't a true number 6 pick as there were the 12 prelisted 17 year olds taken by the Gold Coast in 2009 that would have gone early in 2010. So get your ******* facts right before you ask questions!
Yes there have been a few players taken after him that have played better thus far. But guess what? If you look at each of these players one thing is common to all of them. They haven't had any serous injuries that have required surgery. Reece has gone under the knife 3 times since he has been with us. This has enabled them to fast track their development compared to Reece.
What I see in Reece is a competitive player who has pace and who has a defensive game and an attacking game. When his game has been up he has kicked multiple goals. This is his great strength. He should be a goal kicking mid. These types of players are very valuable.
I am happy to wait as he is still young and I think he has much upside. He just needs a decent run with injury. Our recruiters are not Nostradamus in predicting injuries in the future too, so criticizing them is premature. I still think his greatest strength is his character. He is a good kid with a level head on his shoulders. He is a good team man who is good to have around the club.

It's amazing what effect positive reinforcement has on the psyche. It's also amazing what a deleterious effect these negative rants have on players. They may not read them but others do and pass on sentiments.

FFS get off his back and give him support and encouragement. If you really love the club, you will.

Oh boo hoo - what a load of namby pamby crap."Oooh don't ever criticise the players because their mates might read it and they'll cry" Positive reiforcement - stuff me dead this isn't kindergarten or some Dr. Phil/Oprah Californian pop psychology bollocks. If he really has the "strength of character" you say he does then it should be water off a duck's back anyway. Posters like you seem to be unable to grasp the concept of a "discussion forum' or you think they should be just like sitting with the arse lickers in the cheer squad - a bland backslapping echo chamber of "Yay Reecey! Yay Jakey! Yay Griggy! Go Tiges!"

As for puling out the old "real supporters should only cheer & praise our players"  card  - well sorry but you can stuff right off with that shyte...if you want to play that game then I'll put it to you that "real" supporters - people who really care about this club- aren't the people who just blindly applaud everything the club does but are the people who demand & push it it to be the best it can be , who actually show concern when they feel the club is underachieving , who don't accept mediocrity and yes single out those who we don't believe are up to the job and are therefore letting the club down. Those who are genuinely worried about the future of the club if we go through too many more years of being perpetual losers and fail to attract new fans from the younger generations.  People, I might add, who've generally put more money & time into this club than most of the loudmouth so-called "brightsiders" who like to dictate to everyone the correct manner of supporting the club and what opinions they should have.

As for Conca - our skills & disposal are woeful through the middle and he's one of the main offenders. Pick 6 for what's essentially a slight upgrade on Shane Tuck is massive overs.
I can almost guarantee you that I have put more money over the last 50 years into the club than you. So just wack off.
If you read my posts you will see I am critical as well towards the club.  I don't need idiots like you telling me off for pandering to the club.

In the case of individual young players who have gone through hell to make it, I will always defend.  They don't need armchair critics like you who know stuff all to start laying in the boots and then saying they're weak if they can't take it.  A real supporter DOES support the youth in the club and tries to make it an environment they want to excel in, not a friggen nazi prison where they are afraid to take a risk or they will be shot by their supporters.

Let's see how much you love him if he takes the money and runs back home to WA next time. We don't owe any overpaid meathead footballer a thing.

If you seriously think what's said on a internet forum effects the players them you're either a fool or you've never been to an actual game in your life and heard what's said over the fence.

As for your other dribble, I said brightsiders in general not you personally so get your hand off it flog , not interested in a peeing contest or hearing about your long service record or the 2 and 6 you've put in every year since Max Oppy was coach, so kindly go stuff yourself on that score.
Now that made me laugh.
I like the cut of your jib Diocletian.  :gotigers

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #1217 on: April 26, 2014, 08:43:08 PM »
Conca isn't a slight upgrade on Tuck. Not in the old fellas league I am afraid.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1218 on: April 26, 2014, 09:19:40 PM »
In your not so humble opinion only Coach.

And who gives a rats you know what about that!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #1219 on: April 26, 2014, 09:22:20 PM »

How many times did Tuck finish top 5 in our B&F? And how many times has your lovechild Conca? Obviously you've cracked it and you now don't rate the great mans (me) opinion. However, you constantly swing from the clubs nuts so you would rate their opinion, wouldn't you? They rated Tuck ahead of Conca. Not sure he was an upgrade mmm

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1220 on: April 26, 2014, 09:25:37 PM »

How many times did Tuck finish top 5 in our B&F? And how many times has your lovechild Conca? Obviously you've cracked it and you now don't rate the great mans (me) opinion. However, you constantly swing from the clubs nuts so you would rate their opinion, wouldn't you? They rated Tuck ahead of Conca. Not sure he was an upgrade mmm

Ok oh great one.  When Tuck was 19, 20 and 21 what exactly had he done in his illustrious career?  You have to compare apples with apples after all.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #1221 on: April 26, 2014, 09:27:37 PM »

Ok oh great one.  When Tuck was 19, 20 and 21 what exactly had he done in his illustrious career?  You have to compare apples with apples after all.

What does that have to do with anything? It was said Conca was an upgrade on Tuck. Clearly he hasn't played better football than Shane Tuck. He hasn't been an upgrade on him at all. Birth certificates have nothing to do with that.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1222 on: April 26, 2014, 09:32:34 PM »

What does that have to do with anything? It was said Conca was an upgrade on Tuck. Clearly he hasn't played better football than Shane Tuck. He hasn't been an upgrade on him at all. Birth certificates have nothing to do with that.
It has everything to do with it.
You can only say Conca is not an upgrade on Tuck once he has matured as a player and learnt the ropes.  You are comparing a kids output to a wily hardened veteran.  That is not a fair comparison.  We picked Conca so that when he is 23 to 30 he is at his peak and playing good football.  I'm not saying he will be a superstar.  What I am saying is we should all give him a chance to show us if he will be.  Many people are closing the door on the kid before he has had a chance to become a mature player.  I disagree with that approach.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #1223 on: April 26, 2014, 09:37:05 PM »
It was said he was an upgrade on Tuck. He isn't. Not yet, he may never be. Maybe he'll win 7 B&Fs but right now he's not better than Tuck was in his prime. That's what I'm arguing.
Going by what you've said then I can say Ty Vickery might be an upgrade on Matthew Richardson...we just can't rule it out until Vickery gets to a certain age.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1224 on: April 26, 2014, 09:42:34 PM »
In all honesty I do support Reece. I just don't rate him that highly.... Yet.... And that's fair I recon.
As for that other cat Ellis, I find it extremely hard..... And that's fair I recon too.
You know when there's one you just cannot cop, that Ellis for me.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1225 on: April 26, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
It was said he was an upgrade on Tuck. He isn't. Not yet, he may never be. Maybe he'll win 7 B&Fs but right now he's not better than Tuck was in his prime. That's what I'm arguing.
Going by what you've said then I can say Ty Vickery might be an upgrade on Matthew Richardson...we just can't rule it out until Vickery gets to a certain age.
Well he might be, but I doubt it.  Can you tell me everything about the future?  I certainly cannot.  Vickery needs to learn to have defensive aspect to his game and we all can see that.  He needs to learn some footy smarts.  He has been in the system 2 years longer than Reece as well and so he needs to show improvement faster.  But again, you cannot be absolutely certain about anything.  Comparing him to Matty Richardson is unfair too.  How many players do you think would be an upgrade to Richo.  Just by chance alone, the number would be extremely low as he is one of the Richmond greats.  A little unfair don't you think.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #1226 on: April 26, 2014, 09:47:15 PM »
It gets a bit frustrating watching our premium draft picks develop over such a long period of time, then to see a Luke Dunstan at pick 18 waltz in and play like he has 200 games under his belt. When can we get one of those?

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1227 on: April 26, 2014, 09:51:59 PM »
In all honesty I do support Reece. I just don't rate him that highly.... Yet.... And that's fair I recon.
As for that other cat Ellis, I find it extremely hard..... And that's fair I recon too.
I don't disagree with that at all.
I just hate it when people say we should have, could have, didn't do etc etc etc.
It doesn't help the situation at all.  We are in a certain situation.  We need to accept it and work out a way to improve it.  If this means supporting those guys still in development and encouraging them to be better players, then that is what we should do.

If we come to a point where we see no further improvement is possible and their output is not up to scratch then we trade or delist.

I just don't think we are anywhere near that situation with Conca or Ellis.  I think the club erred by making Ellis the face of the club at such an early age too.  It can distract young men and make them think they are better than they are.  Bad move by the club.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1228 on: April 26, 2014, 09:57:30 PM »
It gets a bit frustrating watching our premium draft picks develop over such a long period of time, then to see a Luke Dunstan at pick 18 waltz in and play like he has 200 games under his belt. When can we get one of those?
You're not the only one with that frustration.  We all think like that because we yearn success.
What you must understand is that we were not the only ones that did not select him.  Most rated Lennon ahead of Dunstan.  We haven't had the chance to see Ben but what I can say is that he is an exciting talent with weapons that are potentially better than Dunstan's. Luke always had a more mature body to start with and so was likely to show more early.  What's most important is who has the best output over their career?  Hopefully it will be Lennon but it is an inexact science and nobody could be sure.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1229 on: April 26, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
I don't disagree with that at all.
I just hate it when people say we should have, could have, didn't do etc etc etc.
It doesn't help the situation at all.  We are in a certain situation.  We need to accept it and work out a way to improve it.  If this means supporting those guys still in development and encouraging them to be better players, then that is what we should do.

If we come to a point where we see no further improvement is possible and their output is not up to scratch then we trade or delist.

I just don't think we are anywhere near that situation with Conca or Ellis.  I think the club erred by making Ellis the face of the club at such an early age too.  It can distract young men and make them think they are better than they are.  Bad move by the club.
Happy to debate about Reece till the cows come home, and as I have said I like the kid, I just don't rate him yet.
But you are wasting your time with Ellis and myself. I have said it from day one and a few on here can vouch for me on that, I can't stand the kid. But I also don't want to shove that down people's throats like some others do about certain players so  won't go on.
 I hope he can prove me wrong but I doubt it.