Author Topic: Reece Conca [merged]  (Read 427894 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Reece Conca [merged]
« Reply #1290 on: May 07, 2014, 08:14:49 PM »
On BF someone compared him to Libba..
Average disposals: 22.9 (Libba) vs 22 (Conca).
DE%: 73.1% v 70.8% (Conca still better than other inside mids like Cunnington and Jones. Pendlebury has DE of 70.9%).
Average Marks: 3.6 v 4
Average Clearances: 5.7 v 4
Centre clearances: 1.7 v 1.6
Rebound 50s: 1.9 v 1.4
Tackles: 7.6 v 7.1
One percenters: 2.7 v 1.9
Inside 50s: 2.3 v 3.6

Now the commentators almost turn to jelly when talking about Libba.  So I think he compares quite favourably.  Very underestimated is our man Conca.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1291 on: May 07, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »
DE%: 73.1% v 70.8% (Conca still better than other inside mids like Cunnington and Jones. Pendlebury has DE of 70.9%).

Now the commentators almost turn to jelly when talking about Libba.  So I think he compares quite favourably.  Very underestimated is our man Conca.
Are you trying to convince yourself or some of us?
The stat that is the most misleading IMO when it comes to players is disposal efficiency- perfect example is comparing Reece with Pendleburry.
Pendleburry's disposal makes Reece's look Little League like. Some players put their reps on the line when they get the footy by trying to hit up a target that will help their team go forward (Pendleburry) and other take the easy option and do dinky little kicks 15m sideways or backwards that don't benefit anyone BUT it does keep their efficiency quite high.
Reece is not the worst at it but don't kid yourself when comparing chalk and cheese.
This is where I get my great dislike of Ellis and go a lesser extent Astbury. They hurt the team as much as they help it. It's never been so true as this year with the way we have moved the ball.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1292 on: May 07, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »

The stat that is the most misleading IMO when it comes to players is disposal efficiency- perfect example is comparing Reece with Pendleburry.
Pendleburry's disposal makes Reece's look Little League like. Some players put their reps on the line when they get the footy by trying to hit up a target that will help their team go forward (Pendleburry) and other take the easy option and do dinky little kicks 15m sideways or backwards that don't benefit anyone BUT it does keep their efficiency quite high.
Reece is not the worst at it but don't kid yourself when comparing chalk and cheese.
This is where I get my great dislike of Ellis and go a lesser extent Astbury. They hurt the team as much as they help it. It's never been so true as this year with the way we have moved the ball.
I'm not saying he is Pendlebury.  Just stating some factual stats.  You are probably correct with your summary.  However, it remains opinion until you can state factual statistics that support your statements.  Things like metres gained coupled with disposal efficiency would help.  So if you have information to back up your opinion please give it.  If not, your opinion remains just that, nothing more, nothing less.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1293 on: May 07, 2014, 10:38:07 PM »

I'm not saying he is Pendlebury.  Just stating some factual stats.  You are probably correct with your summary.  However, it remains opinion until you can state factual statistics that support your statements.  Things like metres gained coupled with disposal efficiency would help.  So if you have information to back up your opinion please give it.  If not, your opinion remains just that, nothing more, nothing less.
Happy with that, it is just my opinion.
But in your opinion, do you agree that the two are miles apart when it come to kicking efficiency? Even though the stats say otherwise. That's all was trying to say.  :thumbsup

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1294 on: May 07, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »

But in your opinion, do you agree that the two are miles apart when it come to kicking efficiency? Even though the stats say otherwise. That's all was trying to say.  :thumbsup
I really don't know what the best measure is to compare the two.  Pendlebury is a freak. One of the best in the league.  His disposal is clean and to advantage in the most difficult of situations. And these happen at crunch times.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1295 on: May 07, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »

I really don't know what the best measure is to compare the two.  Pendlebury is a freak. One of the best in the league.  His disposal is clean and to advantage in the most difficult of situations. And these happen at crunch times.
On the other hand, Pendles has a lot more experience and pre-seasons under his belt, he should be better. As I have stated I don't dislike what Reece does, I just think that stats don't always tell the whole truth. I hoping he will become an A grader that can help take us all the way.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1296 on: May 07, 2014, 11:51:41 PM »
Very underestimated is our man Conca.

Yes he is..

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1297 on: May 08, 2014, 12:04:05 AM »
Very underestimated is our man Conca.

Yes he is..

He hasn't stuffn done anything special ffs.

Misses goals and targets like the rest of his pathetic team.

Plays when he feels up to it.

Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1298 on: May 08, 2014, 09:50:05 AM »

Champion data changed the way they rate disposal efficiency a while back to take into account the degree off difficulty when making a kick.( i had the link bookmarked but a hard drive crash put paid to that )

even allowing for that, i prefer to look a players disposal efficiency in conbination with their contested possessions. (other stats that would help create an accurate picture would be meters gained and scoring chain involvement. )

even then its not perfect. someone who is getting the hard ball at stoppages is going to have a lot of rushed kicks under pressure, while another player may win a number of one on one contests and burn of their opponent for an unpressured kick, yet I'm sure they are both regarded as contested possessions.

As for the sideways kick, even that is not so cut and dried. switching play across the ground is one way to open up the play, rather than just kick to congestion, but it relies heavily on your teamates to work harder harder than their opponents to get to that space, or you just end back at square one (which has exactly been one of our problems this year)

sometimes its easy to condemn the bloke with the ball, but unless he is ignoring good options created by hard working team mates, its probably really not his fault. The options have to be there in the first place.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1299 on: May 08, 2014, 06:38:58 PM »

Champion data changed the way they rate disposal efficiency a while back to take into account the degree off difficulty when making a kick.( i had the link bookmarked but a hard drive crash put paid to that )

even allowing for that, i prefer to look a players disposal efficiency in conbination with their contested possessions. (other stats that would help create an accurate picture would be meters gained and scoring chain involvement. )

even then its not perfect. someone who is getting the hard ball at stoppages is going to have a lot of rushed kicks under pressure, while another player may win a number of one on one contests and burn of their opponent for an unpressured kick, yet I'm sure they are both regarded as contested possessions.

As for the sideways kick, even that is not so cut and dried. switching play across the ground is one way to open up the play, rather than just kick to congestion, but it relies heavily on your teamates to work harder harder than their opponents to get to that space, or you just end back at square one (which has exactly been one of our problems this year)

sometimes its easy to condemn the bloke with the ball, but unless he is ignoring good options created by hard working team mates, its probably really not his fault. The options have to be there in the first place.
Yes I totally agree with that. But the thing that gets me wild is when guys automatically, on every occasion look backward or sideways before looking up field. Happy for guys to switch play but only after looking to advance the ball first. Ellis could put an opposition jumper on he kicks it their way so often.  :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1300 on: May 14, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »
Pressure kings: The players you don't want breathing down your neck
Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
May 14, 2014

RICHMOND: Reece Conca

Reece Conca has spent the past two season developing his inside game and leads the Tigers for pressure acts from former Port Adelaide midfielder Matt Thomas. Conca has also stepped up in the absence of Jake King, who topped the Tigers for tackles inside-50 last year, and the young midfielder has delivered 11 to be second to just Shane Edwards. In total tackles, Conca has twice made double figures this year – in round three against the Western Bulldogs and round six against Hawthorn – which sees him easily lead the club with 50 after seven games. It's been a slow build this year for Conca after hamstring tendon surgery at the end of last season, but his contested game and ability to exert pressure has been impressive.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-14/kings-of-pressure

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1301 on: May 14, 2014, 11:05:56 PM »
7th most tackles in league is

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1302 on: June 05, 2014, 12:02:37 AM »
Reckon he looked quick on the weekend. In the past have agreed with the idea he looks slow but not so sure anymore...

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1303 on: June 05, 2014, 01:05:19 AM »
Reckon he looked quick on the weekend. In the past have agreed with the idea he looks slow but not so sure anymore...

Part time player
Full time dud
Caracella and Balmey.

Gigantor

« Reply #1304 on: June 05, 2014, 09:17:08 PM »
what Reece needs to do to take the next step is to get his brain in sync with his body,because there seems to be a serious communication breakdown happening there