Author Topic: Toby Nankervis [merged]  (Read 178863 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Toby Nankervis [merged]
« Reply #390 on: September 26, 2017, 01:56:50 PM »
Thought he played one of his better games for a while

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #391 on: September 26, 2017, 02:53:41 PM »
Most important of our recruits....  :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #392 on: September 26, 2017, 04:00:10 PM »

Will need back up or will go the way of Mike Green.

:thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #393 on: September 26, 2017, 04:27:22 PM »
'I love the responsibility': Toby sets the tone

afl.com.au
26 September 2017

JUST one year since they got together and already the union of Richmond and ruckman Toby Nankervis is shaping as a marriage made in footballing heaven.

After being narrowly overlooked for a spot in Sydney's Grand Final team last year, Nankervis was open to a change of scenery.

It wasn't that the Swans' coaching staff didn't rate him, rather that they had a glut of ruckmen, headed by big Sam Naismith.

Ex-Crow Kurt Tippett continues to divide opinion among the footballing cognoscenti, but his huge-money contract meant he wasn't going anywhere.

Callum Sinclair's versatility as a ruckman and a marking key forward also appealed to the Swans.

So it was Nankervis - who had only racked up 12 senior games in three years at Sydney - who moved on.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick liked what he saw in the raw-boned Tasmanian and the Tigers were able to get the trade done for the bargain-basement price of pick No.45 in the draft.

With last year's first-choice ruckman Shaun Hampson missing almost all of 2017 with a serious back injury, Nankervis slotted straight into the No.1 role at Tigerland.

Promoted rookie Ivan Soldo provided support in seven games midway through the season, but the 23-year-old Nankervis has been largely required to go it alone.

"That's when I play my best footy, around the ball and in the ruck," Nankervis said.

"I love that responsibility, fulfilling my role for the team, which is what I try and do every week.

"I want to put in a big contest in the ruck and then get after it on the ground.

"It's pretty simple for me."

Come Saturday's Grand Final and the 199cm Nankervis will be asked to again go one-out against Adelaide's Sam Jacobs.

"He's an elite tap ruckman but he's also good around the ground," Nankervis said.

"He can take a good mark, he can go forward and kick a goal and his follow-up work is pretty awesome as well.

"He's got so many strings to his bow."

Much has been made this year of Richmond's unconventional attack, which includes a host of fleet-footed smaller players and just the one key marking option in Jack Riewoldt.

But the Tigers' ruck set-up is similarly unusual when Nankervis needs a rest.

Utility Shaun Grigg, all 190cm of him, is the back-up option, while even shorter players such as Josh Caddy and Jacob Townsend have also been required to contest ball-ups and throw-ins.

"Grigga is a very smart footballer so he knows his way around what to do," Nankervis said.

"All he has to do is make a contest and give me a spell for five minutes."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-26/i-love-the-responsibility-toby-sets-the-tone

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #394 on: September 26, 2017, 04:39:18 PM »
"Grigga is a very smart footballer so he knows his way around what to do," Nankervis said.

Agree, has kept himself on an AFL list for this long

Offline Greenie

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #395 on: September 26, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »
Will need back up or will go the way of Mike Green.
 :thumbsup
What is that supposed to mean. I take that personally.

Just about won the '69 series off his own boot. Premierships in '67, '69, '73, '74. Team of Century!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #396 on: September 28, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »
Toby Nankervis has grand final experience with Sydney Swans

GLENN McFARLANE,
Herald Sun
28 September 2017

RICHMOND ruckman Toby Nankervis has done something none of the other 43 players in Saturday’s game have — he’s actually warmed up for an AFL Grand Final.

This year marks the first time since the very first premiership playoff that no player has had past Grand Final experience, but Nankervis has come the closest as an emergency for Sydney last year.

He had played for the Swans in the semi-final win over Adelaide, but lost his spot for the preliminary and narrowly missed selection in last year’s Grand Final loss to Western Bulldogs.

“I prepared to play, I gave myself every opportunity and warmed up with the boys,” Nankervis recalled this week. “It was frustrating, but I desperately wanted the boys to win.”

“I had so much care for the group that to see it not go our way was disappointing. Even though I didn’t play, I still felt involved in the day, but hopefully this year is going to be very different.”

Fast forward 12 months — almost to the day — and Nankervis will carry Richmond’s ruck hopes into a Grand Final against Adelaide’s Sam Jacobs, and he is still pinching himself in the change of fortunes.

The 23-year-old left the Swans after last year’s Grand Final — eager for a new challenge, even if he was sad to leave behind a club which gave him his AFL start — but he hasn’t looked back across 23 games this year.

“It’s just unbelievable,” he said. “Going into the year not really having an expectation in myself or the team, it is amazing how far we have come.”

“I have had so much fun and learnt so much. I’ve still got so much to learn ands that’s the great thing, I still feel like I am getting better each week. I suppose I am getting the chance to play on the best ruckmen each week so that help.”

The Tigers’ efforts to recruit Nankervis have paid good dividends, having secured him for pick 46, and he says they have afforded him every chance to improve his football stocks.

“After the footy finished last year, I sat down with ‘Dimma’ (Damien Hardwick) and a few of the other coaches, and it was a decision based on what was best for my footy,” he said.

“They’ve been fantastic for me.

“Ivan Maric has been massive. In the preseason, we did everything together, we tried to bash each other for six months and the way he prepares is the most professional I’ve seen.”

Nankervis knows the task he has against Jacobs this Saturday is a huge one, given the Crows big man had 50 hit-outs against him in the Round 6 clash earlier this year.

“He is the sort of ruckman you always look at, because he is so durable and such a good player,” Nankervis said. “He was pretty stiff to miss out on All-Australian selection this year.”

“We didn’t play well as a team, (but) we have a very different team then in terms of personnel. He (Jacobs) got me last time, but I am looking forward to playing my role on him this week.”

Quietly-spoken and understated off the field, Nankervis is a competitive beast on it, albeit smaller than most of the ruckmen in the competition, at 199cm.

“I just love competing,” he said. “I know I don’t have the great athleticism that some of these other ruckman have, but I try to use that competitive edge as much as I can.”

He and Jack Riewoldt will be aiming to carry on an old tradition of Tigers recruited out of Tasmania going on to win premierships with the club. At least one native of Tassie has played in each of Richmond’s five flags from 1967.

“There’s a couple of boys out of Tassie, so there will definitely be some support down there,” Nankervis said.

He grew up in Georgetown, in northeast Tasmania, and played his junior football there before playing with the town’s senior team as a 17-year-old. “You learn a lot ... it was awesome, the whole town was supporting us,” he recalled.

“Then I moved to North Launceston and had a few years there.”

He was overlooked for the 2012 draft, but Sydney gave him his chance a year later when it drafted him as pick 35. He played 12 games with the Swans in 2015-16, but couldn’t quite cement the regular role he craved.

His parents, Kingsley and Sharon, and brother, Corey, have now moved to Melbourne, and he is relishing the chance to be back living with them after being in Sydney for three years.

He is thriving in working with the midfield group. “To get anywhere near ‘Cotch’ (Trent Cotchin) and ‘Dusty’ (Martin) is unbelievable to watch,” he said.

“The way Trent has led this year has been superb. He is a really good talker, but the way he leads on the field is incredible.”

“And Dustin is a superstar of the competition. As far as midfield depth goes, we have Dion (Prestia) and Josh Caddy, as well as Shane Edwards, and ‘Grigga’ (Shaun Grigg), who have had good years.”

He can barely believe that 12 months after sitting in the stands watching the Swans lose last year’s Grand Final, he will be there for the first bounce on Saturday.

“We know we have to be at our absolute best, but we know our best is good enough to match it with anyone,” he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-ruckman-toby-nankveris-says-he-is-ready-for-another-shot-at-crows-big-man-sam-jacobs/news-story/f5514db99629c3427a21cc40b98aabd8

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #397 on: September 29, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »
GF parade a different beast for Nank

afl.com.au
29 September 2017

THIS time last year, Toby Nankervis was in the same position he was on Friday morning – sitting in the back of a ute, waiting to be driven down Spring Street to the MCG as part of the Grand Final parade festivities.

But Nankervis was wearing a Sydney Swans polo, surrounded by red and white balloons. His ute was at the back of the line. He was an emergency, and would not get to play in the 2016 Grand Final.

Fast-forward a year, and Nankervis was wearing yellow and black, a guaranteed starter in Saturday's Grand Final, sitting next to unlucky teammate and fellow ruckman Shaun Hampson.

"It is pretty amazing, the turnaround," Nankervis said.

"I didn't put too many expectations on the year, but it's pretty amazing how it's happened."

Nankervis was grateful for the opportunity to play on the last Saturday in September.

"The journey we've had as a group, it means so much if we could get the job done tomorrow, but there's such a way to go before that.

"I'm just looking forward to getting through this and preparing for the game and getting stuck into the Crows, hopefully."

Nankervis wore a protective guard around his pinky finger on his left hand but when asked about it, grinned and said it was nothing to worry about.

The ruckman played seven games last year and was omitted before the preliminary final to allow Kurt Tippett to return from a broken jaw.

At the 2016 Grand Final parade, Nankervis told AFL.com.au while it was an odd feeling to be involved in the festivities as an emergency, it was still a good opportunity to soak it up.

"It's good to be involved in it, but it's disappointing not to be selected in the team," he said.

"[Coach John Longmire] said with Kurt [Tippett] coming back, it's just one of those things in footy, where it comes to this time of year blokes have to miss out. It's disappointing, but there's not much I can do about it.

"The blokes we've got around here, the coaches and players, it's easy to keep positive for them. They make it a lot easier."

Twelve months later, Nankervis will be the one lining up for the opening bounce on Grand Final day.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-29/gf-parade-a-different-beast-for-nank-this-year

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #398 on: October 09, 2017, 11:10:18 PM »
Tigers cult figure Toby Nankervis toast of Richmond grand final victory

Niall Seewang
ESPN Associate Editor
Oct, 2017

Just 12 months after harbouring doubts as to whether he had what it took to play AFL football, cult figure Toby Nankervis was the toast of Richmond after playing a key role in his team's drought-breaking premiership triumph.

The 23-year-old big man fought an engaging battle against one of Adelaide's key weapons, premier ruckman Sam Jacobs, breaking even or possibly even shading his more heralded opponent in his finest game in yellow and black.

His 18 possessions, three tackles and 28 hit-outs helped the Tigers win the crucial clearance battle on the way to an emphatic 48-point win at the MCG on Saturday.

It capped an incredible debut season at Punt Road for Nankervis, who crossed from Sydney at the end of last season after struggling for opportunities with the Swans.

The end to his days in Sydney were heartbreaking, with Nankervis watching on as a grand final emergency during the Swans' upset loss to the Western Bulldogs. He'd been dropped for the preliminary final against Geelong despite playing well in the semifinal victory against Adelaide the week previous, and as understudy to Kurt Tippett, never regained his place in the team.

Desperate for opportunity, Nankervis requested a trade and landed at the Tigers for a third-round draft pick. It looms an absolute bargain buy for Richmond, with the talented Tasmanian playing 24 of a possible 25 games for the season and saving his best for the biggest stage of all.

Wearing a broad grin and holding a cold beer in the Richmond change rooms post-match, Nankervis admitted he doubted himself as his time at Sydney drew to a close.

"I played [in the] the semifinal, and played OK [but then] missed out on the prelim which hurt, and then the grand final too," he said. "There were times after that when I thought 'am I ever going to play in a grand final? Am I ever actually going to be good enough to play AFL?'

"But I'm a resilient character though and it's a great feeling now."

Nankervis spoke to several clubs when he decided to depart the Swans but said he was impressed by Richmond coach Damien Hardwick's honesty when they discussed a potential trade.

He paid tribute to veteran big man Ivan Maric, whom Nankervis kept out of the senior team all year - "I've got no doubt I wouldn't be here without big 'Ivvy'"- and added he was confident of improving even further next season and beyond.

"There's no promises in football - 'Dimma' told me straight away 'I can't guarantee you a game but I like the way you go about it - [if] you come here and work hard there's an opportunity for you'," Nankervis said.

"So I worked my arse off in the pre-season and ... really improved throughout the year and I think I've got so much improvement left. I think I've played 30-odd [36] games and to win a premiership now is just unbelievable."

Unbelievable it was, especially considering the Tigers were under so much pressure after missing the finals last year that Hardwick almost lost his job. Add to that a premiership drought dating back to 1980, and the fact before this season the Tigers had not won a final since 2001, and most weren't expecting the Tigers to challenge for the title any time soon.

Hardwick admitted post-match coaching a premiership so soon after surviving the axe after a disappointing 2016 was beyond his wildest dreams.

"I was confident that if we played our best we'd make finals," the now-premiership coach said.

"If you had have asked me whether we'd be sitting up here, collecting medals and a premiership cup, I'd say 'you're kidding yourself'."

Nankervis echoed his coach's thoughts, although he added the group started believing something special was brewing after about two-thirds of the season had passed.

"We didn't put any limits on ourselves - we knew our best was good enough but it probably took until about Round 16 or 17 for us to believe [we could win a premiership]," he said. "But we ... played some massive games of footy and here we are."

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/20868930

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #399 on: October 10, 2017, 06:53:03 AM »
Our recruit of the year

Best trade we've done in years, cost us basically nothing and we got a 10 year player  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #400 on: October 10, 2017, 08:38:54 AM »
His 18 possessions, three tackles and 28 hit-outs helped the Tigers win the crucial clearance battle on the way to an emphatic 48-point win at the MCG on Saturday.

Gee 18 possession in one game, who would have thought a ruck man could do that

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #401 on: October 10, 2017, 08:41:58 AM »
Is he really a cult figure?

Id say just a damn good contributor.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #402 on: October 10, 2017, 09:05:24 AM »
Our recruit of the year

Best trade we've done in years, cost us basically nothing and we got a 10 year player  :thumbsup

Let's just hope we find another ruckman to give him a chop out so he doesn't get run into the ground like Maric.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #403 on: October 10, 2017, 09:10:36 AM »

Is he a good trainer though?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

dwaino

« Reply #404 on: October 10, 2017, 10:07:48 AM »

We’ll be having none of that at Richmond, thanks.