Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 920202 times)

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1470 on: December 17, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »

In the rehab group were Petts, Jordie, Newy, Connors, Cotch, Schulz. The rehab guys wore black tops while the rest wore white. Tambo was in a black top but he still did about half the session and looked to be moving fine. No problems running at pace or anything.

regarding the rehab group.  on top of the guys u've mentioned, it also included rance and nahas.  as for the top colours, i believe rance, nahas, mcmahon and newy wore white tops.

i believe tambo was in the black top because he let alroy wear his white no.30 top

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1471 on: December 18, 2008, 06:11:21 AM »
Cousins play by play
Jeff Wortman | December 17, 2008 11:00am

PUNT Road oval was gripped with Cousins fever this morning as Ben Cousins made his first appearance in the yellow and black. There was a strange feeling of accomplishment from the fans. The tribe has spoken and they got their man. Even the signing of Nathan Brown in 2004 didn't produce crowds like this in December!

It is clear that Cousins is going to be heavily scrutinised in the coming season. In the interests of starting the ball rolling I decided to make a log of his first training session to be used as a sort of form guide for eager Tiger fans wondering if Ben is going to deliver them a long-awaited premiership.

Morning training session

9:02 Cousins runs out with the team to a massive ovation. He is wearing Greg Tivendale’s number on his back number – 32.

9:03 Jack Riewoldt, wearing a hat backwards gives Ben his first high five

9:05 The team do two slow laps around Punt Rd, stopping to stretch as they go. Ben is not the hard head setting the pace at the front of the pack, he sits somewhere in the middle.

9:15 Ben has a short kick to kick with Jake King. 100 per cent efficiency on his right foot, his left not quite as impressive.

9:17 Ben scuffs a kick to King and he walks over menacingly but to Cousins relief all he receives from King is a pat on the back.

9:23 Huddle forms around Terry Wallace – Cousins starts to pad his high five stats with the players indicating he has been well received.

9:25 Richard Tambling and Cousins perform some sort of ghetto high five with a closed fist.

9:30 Marking and kicking drill. Cousins' pinpoint skills impressive

9:32 Cousins executes his 128th disposal for the session, taking him past Tivendale’s career number of disposals and thus making him the greatest Richmond no. 32 in history

9:37 Light warm down run with Richo, away from the main group. Hard to read Richo’s lips from distance but he appears to say something along the lines of ‘here’s how it works. You get the ball to me and I do the rest. It the way it is and the way is has always been

9:40 Cousins leaves the track.

Possible afternoon schedule

12:00 Collect advance salary payment

12:30 Spend advanced salary payment on two Nathan Brown tee shirts.

12:45 Visit solarium with Terry Wallace. Terry to pass on 50 per cent of discount for signing another new customer

1:20 Swotvac training session with Tom Hafey to amend 12 months away from the game.

3:00 Urine test

3:15 Ask Richo if he fancies a glass of apple juice as a practical joke.

3:30 Break news to Ricky Nixon that the Tigers only have $120,000 in their salary cap.

3:45 Haircut.

4:00 Hair test.

4:15 Rehearse Tigers theme tune with Russell Robertson. He just can't say no.

4:45 Call Matthew Lloyd and ask if he wants to hang out in the interests of avoiding any trouble.

5:00 Have a latte at Pellegrinis and talk about La Mama. This is Melbourne, baby.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24813010-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1472 on: December 18, 2008, 06:58:31 AM »
Greg Baum | December 18, 2008 

About 2000 fans were back yesterday morning at a dampened Punt Road to welcome Cousins to their club. Some, a gaggle, waited three hours after training for a further adoring glimpse.

Fans, of course, have a luxury that officials do not: to judge only on appearances and to close their minds to all sensitivities except the imperative of the next win. At Richmond, there have been too few of them for too long. And the Tigers love their saviours, the more so if they are flawed.

The other Cousins was the footballer on the ground, distinctively his pigeon-chested self even in Greg Tivendale's vacated No. 32 guernsey, fit-looking, but finer in the arms and legs than when he last played.

At first he performed regulation running and kicking drills with the squad, responding to instantly familiar calls of "Cuz" from new teammates, some whose names he could not have known. Then he changed into running shoes for a series of 200-metre sprints alongside resident legend Matthew Richardson, run at an earnest pace and causing both to gasp and wince.

Notably, Cousins stretched his hamstrings after every sprint and every kick, did not kick through the ball at any stage and did not bend for balls kicked at his feet; this being Richmond and December, they were plentiful. At length, Cousins and Richardson called it a day; it had lasted three-quarters of an hour.

Cousins' precautions were sensible, but they were also a reminder that he is 30, has barely played for two years and limped out of his last game with a torn hamstring, memories that deterred some clubs from drafting him as much as any underworld connections and history of drug addiction.

This, in shorts and training guernsey, was Cousins stripped down to the essentials — a footballer again, to live or die on his footballing wits and exploits. Now the reconciliation begins, between Cousins and the game, and between the two Cousinses. Yesterday's news conference was a start.
He said he had learned much about himself, categorically the hard way. He spoke of how he had learned to deal evenly with the attention, but regretted that it had been "painful and stressful" for family and friends.

He said he had deserved his suspension, but now deserved his second chance. He said he had begun to despair of getting one, that he would have to earn his place in the Richmond team, that he would have to adapt to a game that had changed since he last appeared, but that he was confident of returning to "somewhere near" his best.

It was a vintage Cousins display: poised, self-confident, without artifice, disarming in its way, delivered as he once delivered on the field and hopes and intends to again, from the heart.

But as the microphones and lights were turned off and he made for the exit, he was still rubbing his hamstrings.

Whole article at:
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/dual-identity-cuz-at-tigerland/2008/12/17/1229189712961.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1473 on: December 18, 2008, 08:49:52 AM »
The journo's are desperate to see Cousins fail aren't they?! Now that they have ridden the positive wave of optimism from the football public they want more headline and Cousins breaking down through injury or, even better, getting back on the drugs would be on every journo's Christmas Wishlist for the coming new year. Sad profession really.

Lets ease Cousins back in and give him every support we can because the wolves will be baying next year for Cousins, Terry and the club in general next year...the media live for it.

Stripes

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1474 on: December 18, 2008, 09:54:09 AM »
MT, any chance you can do some investigatory work to find out why Cotch isn't training? 
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline tigerfan1961

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #1475 on: December 18, 2008, 10:09:38 AM »
MT, any chance you can do some investigatory work to find out why Cotch isn't training? 
Read somewhere that it is the Achilles, not the bad one from last year though??

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1476 on: December 18, 2008, 12:07:59 PM »
The journo's are desperate to see Cousins fail aren't they?! Now that they have ridden the positive wave of optimism from the football public they want more headline and Cousins breaking down through injury or, even better, getting back on the drugs would be on every journo's Christmas Wishlist for the coming new year. Sad profession really.

It seems that Australia media is fairly big on this, building celebs/sports/music stars up and then tearing them down all in the name of selling papers.

Very sad indictement that our media profession has gone down this path (in the majority anyway).

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1477 on: December 18, 2008, 09:14:13 PM »
regarding the rehab group.  on top of the guys u've mentioned, it also included rance and nahas.  as for the top colours, i believe rance, nahas, mcmahon and newy wore white tops.

i believe tambo was in the black top because he let alroy wear his white no.30 top
Cheers peggles. You're right.

You guys are great, fantastic report and pictures thanks again. Tell me something though please do we have any major injury concerns that will keep any of our players from completing a full pre-season that you have heard? Tambling is obviously ok, what about Thursty, Cotch and anyone else you can think of.
Tambo will be okay. WP said he'll be back training fully in the new year and yesterday he showed no signs of restricted movement when he was running and kicking. Not sure about Thursty but he's often be one who doesn't train every session. Cotch trained too hard when he returned after the break. Not sure what's actually wrong. It could just a niggle although he hasn't trained with the main group for a few weeks. There was a rumour going around he had an achillies problem (in his 'good' leg) as tigerfan mentioned but I haven't heard anything since. Petts is of course a long-term injury. Fingers crossed everyone else remains fit. I heard Simmo was having a little bit of trouble with his knees last Friday but he trained yesterday. Gus said his ankle is and will be fine.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1478 on: December 18, 2008, 11:29:20 PM »
Never let us down do you MT, cheers for the report mate, are you sure you aren't Terry Wallace....... with that info you keep coming up with mate...... :bow ;)
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Tigerrific

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1479 on: December 19, 2008, 01:40:15 PM »
Was Hyslop there? I don't think anyone has mentioned him...

richmondrules

« Reply #1480 on: December 19, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »
Yeah Hislop was there. Couple of photos of him on the 120 photos thread.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1481 on: December 19, 2008, 04:36:35 PM »
From thecotch on BF:

"I spoke to foley who is amazed with cotchin. Says he's a freak. Confirmed it's the achillies causing him some trouble but says will be fine."

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13299692&postcount=4

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1482 on: December 21, 2008, 02:21:37 PM »
training done for 2008

They are all back on 5th Jan 2009
 :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1483 on: January 06, 2009, 11:27:11 PM »
The following Richmond training sessions will be open to the public throughout the month of January.

Tuesdays (skills training)
10am–Noon at Punt Road Oval

Wednesdays (full training)
9-11am at Victoria Park, Collingwood

Training times can be changed at the last minute, so please check this page to confirm times.
A reminder to all supporters wishing to attend training sessions at Punt Road Oval that there is NO public parking at the ground.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2008/TrainingTimes/tabid/8765/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1484 on: January 07, 2009, 04:24:27 PM »
Training today was at an overcast yet warmish Vic Park.

They trained for just under 2 hours from 9am. I got there just after 9.30. Not much to report as far as what they did. One footy drill where they linked up to have running snaps on goal and then the rest of the session was repeated 100m and 200m running in groups of about eight. Some very stuffed boys by the end.

As far as the rehab group:
I was told Cotch was there for only 10-15 minutes at the start and then left. He's still recovering from that achillies.

Schulz stayed for the first hour and watched from the sidelines.

Daniel Connors has apparently hurt his ankle again.

Apart from that the rest of the squad looked in good shape. The oldies Richo, Browny, Sugar, Joel and Simmo trained for the whole session. As did Cogs. Browny looked like a drenched rat by the end. The sweat pouring out of his head. A friend mentioned he's slowed down a touch but he kept up with the others from what I saw. Whitey, Foley and Jacko dominated the 200m runs. Whitey was still flying that by the end of training that they were starting him 10m behind the others in his group. He still caught up with them easily by halfway.

At the end of training they sat on the ground in their midfield, forward and backline groups with their respective assistant coach in charge. Richo of course is now part of the midfield group with Foley, Lids, Tuck, Tambo, Thomson and co. IIRC I think Rainsey was in the mids too. Cambo handed the mids all a sheet of paper and talked it through with them. I don't know what was on the sheet but we all joked that on Richo's it said in big bold type - "do what you want" :lol.

Wallace sat on the boundary and watched on for the whole session. The assistants ran the session with Cambo directing most of it from what I saw before the fitness coordinator took over for the running.

Our first year guys were absent and were at Monash instead. I believe they had their AFL induction day today. Cousins wasn't at Vic Park either which meant the media stayed away. All trained with Cambo and Rawlings at Punt Rd later on around 11.30am for about 30-45 minutes. Wallace turned up at Punt Rd as well for the last bit to watch.

We also had a couple of AIS boys at training. One of them wore #13 - Rhys Mott from Ulverstone, Tasmania. A small midfielder.

I took some photos. I'll post them later on when I get a chance.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd